Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Prediction Time

The Lakers should start as favourites to retain him because he can be a future cornerstone for the team when the likes of Nash and Kobe have retired. However, I think he'll want a max contract, as well as being the star attraction at his next team (something he's not been in LA). With that in mind I think he might consider one of the following:

- Dallas Mavericks: on the one hand he'll get his max contract and his star attraction status, and on the other, he'll get to team with Dirk and that could be a formidable double act. Cuban might see a Howard-Dirk combination as a good option for the Mavericks to make another push for an NBA title before Dirk eventually retires.

- Boston Celtics: this one would make a lot of sense if the Celtics decide to dismantle the remnants of their old big three. Ray Allen has already gone, and if they do decide to get rid of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, then they'll need another cornerstone to partner Rajon Rondo, and a Howard-Rondo pairing would could potentially be scary.

A long shot might be the Atlanta Hawks, he was born and raised there, and played his basketball there. But not sure how he'd fit into their long term plans because I haven't followed them too closely.

Houston is the smart choice for Dwight, he and Harden could dominate (not sure what the Rockets would do with Asik though...) but I have a feeling he'd rather play for Dallas; Dirk only has a couple more years and then Dwight can be the center of attention again just like he wants.

Houston is the smart choice for Dwight, he and Harden could dominate (not sure what the Rockets would do with Asik though...) but I have a feeling he'd rather play for Dallas; Dirk only has a couple more years and then Dwight can be the center of attention again just like he wants.

Harden-Howard combination would be a hell of a combination, and would certainly help them become a legitimate contender. But like you I think he would like to be the star attraction again, though he'd have a better chance of a ring with Houston.

Yeah, it should be interesting. I don't know if he can carry/handle the attention and pressure in LA. If LA doesn't make the playoffs this year, I can't imagine he'll stay.

By Eric Pincus

June 26, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

The Lakers' campaign to keep free-agent center Dwight Howard continued Wednesday with two public pleas for Howard to stay.

The first, a billboard at Staples Center, features a photo of the center with the words, "Stay. #stayD12."

Another variation of the theme has been erected in Hollywood.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-campaign-howard-staples-center-hollywood-billboard-20130626,0,6859161.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53297

Why didnt the Magic ever do anything like this. I've moved on, but I asked this same question when the Magic were trying to keep him.

I dont care where Dwight goes, altho it would be really funny to watch him bail on LA. Dwight can pretty much do what he wants now as theres no concern of him looking like an a**hole, as he's already done that. His whole ordeal with us was that he never wanted to come across as the bad guy, well he did. In the court of public opinion, Dwight is a flighty, space cased diva. So now that hes already the "bad guy" he might as well do whats absolute best for him.

he's staying a laker, he wants the $$.

Texas, like Florida has no state income tax... that should take away any advantage that the Lakers have with the extra year! Plus Dwight would be 1 more year closer to anther max contract.

I think Dwight ends up in Houston with Harden, either there or Dallas. Dallas makes sense aswell and he seems like he would fit in with Dirk, with Dirk being able to space the floor.

By Eric Pincus

June 26, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

The Lakers' campaign to keep free-agent center Dwight Howard continued Wednesday with two public pleas for Howard to stay.

The first, a billboard at Staples Center, features a photo of the center with the words, "Stay. #stayD12."

Another variation of the theme has been erected in Hollywood.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-campaign-howard-staples-center-hollywood-billboard-20130626,0,6859161.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53297

Why didnt the Magic ever do anything like this. I've moved on, but I asked this same question when the Magic were trying to keep him.

..... they did. There were billboards (and even a website) dedicated to keeping Dwight in Orlando. I think this is hilarious because he's been there one year and they want him... and obviously, from our mistakes, it doesn't work (yay?) lol

I'd say Houston - given the taxes, the money would be a wash, I believe. Of course, once he burns bridges in Houston, I think he'll end up playing overseas...