Sign in to follow this  
Malik Buttface

Did Memphis lose more than they gained?

Toronto acquired Rudy Gay in a three team trade involving Detroit which sent Calderon to the Pistons, and Ed Davis, Austin Daye and Teyshaun Prince along with a 2nd round pick to Memphis. In my opinion Memphis might have been too much of in a hurry to get rid of Gay's contract. What do you guys think?

I'll just quote my post from another thread.

Rudy Gay is the 17th highest player in the league....only making 200k a year less than Kevin Durant.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nbas-top-50-highest-paid-players/

He's a mediocre scorer that relies on volume shooting to get his points. He's getting paid superstar money and he isn't a superstar. Forget actually contending for a championship, Rudy Gay isn't good enough to drag an average team into the playoffs. And we are about to see this firsthand now that he is on the Raptors.

If Rudy Gay were on a reasonable contract then this would be a different conversation. It's the same with Pau Gasol. No one thinks he is a bad player now. It's that no one believes he is worth the enormous contract that he is playing under. Rudy Gay is NOT an asset, particularly for a rebuilding team.

So, no. I think Memphis will be just fine and they shed some serious salary. The Grizzlies have already proven that they can be successful without Gay and I actually like the guys they got back.

With that said, I totally think Gay might be the missing link for Toronto to make the playoffs

They could very well make the playoffs, but if they do I would argue it would have more to due with Boston falling apart after the Rondo injury. 39-43 could very well make the East's playoffs, they would have to go 23-13 and have to pass Philli in the process as well as Boston. Add to that the adjustment period.

They could very well make the playoffs, but if they do I would argue it would have more to due with Boston falling apart after the Rondo injury. 39-43 could very well make the East's playoffs, they would have to go 23-13 and have to pass Philli in the process as well as Boston. Add to that the adjustment period.

It's a bit of a long shot but I do see Rudy having a chucking spree in Toronto now that he'll be a go to scorer for that team. It'll be interesting to also see Lowry with some more minutes, I really liked what I saw when he would come off the bench.

As someone who views Ed Davis as nothing more than a 4th big, maybe a 3rd on an average team, unless they move ZBO and really free up their cap situation, this was a cheap and terrible move.