Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

In Depth Interview with SVG

Q: Did management coddle Dwight?

A: We didn't coddle him and I don't think he asked to be coddled. But in the last year, yeah, they tried to appease him — "You want this, we'll give you this." That has happened several times in this league and it never has worked. What Otis said was, "He has been with us eight years, he knows us, we've treated him well — either he wants to be here or he doesn't.'' You don't break down your entire value system or culture for anybody.

USA Today

Well from the history and what transpired I can see this taking place behind the scenes. Our CEO is too blinded by the money to even think about championships. I mean even after the season when Dwight lived in LA during his playoff run ( or non run ), Alex had our new GM go to Dwight... I mean really? Your going to go to LA to see Dwight, your not going to make his butt come to Florida?

Yea, im not real happy with Alex. Because our franchise will never go anywhere if this is how he is.

In the interest of fairness, wasn't Dwight rehabing after surgery and not medically cleared for travel at that point?

During the playoffs yes.... but when Rob went there after the season was long over, I think he could of went. I think that was the same time TMZ caught up with him walking around.

Walking around, and medically cleared for travel are not the same thing. If the Magic demand that he come to Orlando to meet with Rob, they gain what, exactly?

The change of perception that the CEO pandered to Dwight until the very end, which from a business standpoint doesnt make any sense when it gos that far. It makes you look weak and unable to handle the position your being paid for.

We all bashed Otis, SVG and such, but maybe alot of what we saw was coming from somewhere else like Alex. Which happens to be the only guy still around. If this is who Alex is, then we are in for a long freaking ride of going nowhere.

Rob had to meet with Dwight face to face before making any moves. He had to know if there was a chance to mend fences, and remove the possibility of Dwight coming back to the media later to say "If I had met with the new guy and talked about the direction the team was going in, maybe I would have changed my mind." You are talking about the best center (by far) in the league when (and if) he fully recovers. I think Rob did exactly what he should have done in that situation.

As for who bashed who, I never bashed Stan, I thought he did one hell of a job while he was here, and I was sad to see him go. Otis deserved a bit of bashing for moves that he made, which is exactly what he got around here, not for the Dwight spectacle. I think Stan shed some light on the upper management and how they handled things, and I liked reading about that, but that doesn't change the fact that Otis made more than his fair share of bad moves.

There is a difference between mishandling Dwight (as Stan attributes to Alex), and mishandling the team (trades etc) which is what we were all complaining about with Otis. Hopefully Hennigan makes smarter decisions, and Alex stays away.

I would not take everything a disgruntled former employee says at face value.....Stan should have been fired the day he told the media about Dwight wanting him gone.

Stan was entertaining because he pretty much said whatever he fealt but that was internal team business that he had no right air publicly. Especially when the GM he says he was so loyal to was doing everything in his power to convince Dwight to stay with the team.

Alex Martins is a business man who was forced to step in when Otis lost control of his coach and players....from everything I see Alex Martins has gone back to running the business side of the team and is letting Hennigan run the team like a GM should.