Sign in to follow this  
For the love of the game

Gun control

That makes Hammurabi's code look tame, jesus.

I will say this though, if you break into my home while I'm there, and put me in a position where I feel my life is threatened, I will defend myself with every tool at my disposal. I don't know your intentions, and I don't know the level of threat to which you represent, and I refuse to bet my life in an attempt to find out.

That's an impressively tough stance on crime.

Would you support legislation that makes breaking and entering a capital offense that automatically negates the right to due process?

How did you come up with this question out of his impressively tough stance on crime? I will agree that his wording was harsh, but if I am not mistaken you are lawfully allowed to protect yourself, you family and your property. Also, he provided little detail as to the situation. If he comes back and repies that he is referring to waking up from a cat nap around noon and walks out to his living room and see a guy carrying his tv out the front door, that would be extreme. However, I would still have the right to stop him from taking my property.

Reallt though, If someone breaks into my home while I am there, I will not know what his intentions are, how desperate he is or what he is carrying. Therefore, I will shoot him until he is no longer a threat (maybe dead/ maybe not). Captains last post said something along the same lines, but he seemed to leave it open that he could somehow guess the bad guys intentions.

Now I am not foolish enough to think I am bulletproof, so I would not attempt to confront someone in my house if I pull into my driveway and realize someone has broken into my house (unless my wife or family is inside).

Edit: Captains wording did not leave it up in the air that he might be able to guess the guys intention. I simply misread.

I think the issue with Dana's wording is that she specifically mentions the intent to steal, and that their life is therefore forfeit. In no way do I support that statement. Property is not on par with a life. I would not be comfortable taking someones life to protect personal belongings, but I'm also not compromising my safety by giving you the benefit of the doubt regarding your intentions.

I think the issue with Dana's wording is that she specifically mentions the intent to steal, and that their life is therefore forfeit. In no way do I support that statement. Property is not on par with a life. I would not be comfortable taking someones life to protect personal belongings, but I'm also not compromising my safety by giving you the benefit of the doubt regarding your intentions.

Wow, you are so right, have no idea how I missed that. Brings the question into line as well. Long day..

That's an impressively tough stance on crime.

Would you support legislation that makes breaking and entering a capital offense that automatically negates the right to due process?

No. Difference is one is a person acting on behave of their well-being and the other is government doing whatever it is that government does.

I'm sitting in my room and someone breaks into my home. I see them rummaging through my belongins. Unless their first move is to bolt, they're a threat.

I also hate our prison system in general. Joe breaks into Ben's house. Ben calls the cops and Joe gets arrested. Joe is living (though indirectly) off of Ben's tax dollars. Yay.

No. Difference is one is a person acting on behave of their well-being and the other is government doing whatever it is that government does.

So you are standing by your stance that you would kill someone attempting to take your belongs? With the exception of something priceless like ones grandmothers wedding ring or another item that is worth more than anything in the world to you, that is harsh. I am not even sure I would do it then. If the intent is not known, take him out.

Question though and this might support your apparent stance on this. Whats to stop that person from immediately returning to your home and blowing you away before you could call 911?

I'm sitting in my room and someone breaks into my home. I see them rummaging through my belongins. Unless their first move is to bolt, they're a threat.

I also hate our prison system in general. Joe breaks into Ben's house. Ben calls the cops and Joe gets arrested. Joe is living (though indirectly) off of Ben's tax dollars. Yay.

What would you propose then? I do not like the system either in that regards, buts not sure what else can be done. Stiffer penalties would maybe slow the crime rate a bit. Making prison time harsher would help to. Make them sleep on concrete floors, only given the two pieces of toilet paper per number two or give them tp so rough they would rather use poison ivy to wipe their bottoms, take away their heating and ac except in extreme cold or heat? No tv, only see their family once a year? All that would help, however pretty sure that would never fly in todays politically correct over sensitive environment we live in now.

Can someone show me how to reply to multiple qoutes in the same posts? I see the multi qoute buttom but must be doing something wrong.

What would you propose then? I do not like the system either in that regards, buts not sure what else can be done. Stiffer penalties would maybe slow the crime rate a bit. Making prison time harsher would help to. Make them sleep on concrete floors, only given the two pieces of toilet paper per number two or give them tp so rough they would rather use poison ivy to wipe their bottoms, take away their heating and ac except in extreme cold or heat? No tv, only see their family once a year? All that would help, however pretty sure that would never fly in todays politically correct over sensitive environment we live in now.

The reason people oppose things like that is not because they want to be politically correct or sensitive. That's absurd. People oppose things like that because they're counter-productive and make criminals into worse people. If you put people in prison and then torture them the whole time, they aren't going to turn into good people because they've been punished so harshly that it sets them straight. They're going to turn bitterly against society and they're not going to want to follow its rules at all.

Crime is a complex issue with lots of factors that go into both why it happens and how we effectively reduce it. These simplistic and absurd solutions are not helpful, and in most cases (like this one) they're actually harmful.

The reason people oppose things like that is not because they want to be politically correct or sensitive. That's absurd. People oppose things like that because they're counter-productive and make criminals into worse people. If you put people in prison and then torture them the whole time, they aren't going to turn into good people because they've been punished so harshly that it sets them straight. They're going to turn bitterly against society and they're not going to want to follow its rules at all.

Crime is a complex issue with lots of factors that go into both why it happens and how we effectively reduce it. These simplistic and absurd solutions are not helpful, and in most cases (like this one) they're actually harmful.

The "justice" system in our country is focused on punishment and not rehabilitation. It doesn't work.

It seems like there are quite a few multiple offenders out there, I'm not so sure that the relaxed approach to prison works well either. I get what you are saying I just find it hard to stomach what they get vs what someone who is down on their luck has to live with. Doesn't seem like much of a deterrent to me, it seems like another on of those things in life that keeps the honest people honest.