Sign in to follow this  
LaVar

Go Lakers

Its funny. I hope the Lakers win, so we can get there pick. If they don't make the playoffs. We do not get there 1st round pick. :(/>/>/>/>/>

Update

"My statement was just to say that our team that I played with in Orlando, we were the underdogs," Howard said after the Lakers' 108-102 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night. "Nobody really talked about our team. It was underrated. Everybody overlooked us for the whole time I was there in Orlando and I hated that. We all hated that. We thrived off that. My comments were never to say anything disrespectful to those guys. Those were my teammates for years. They helped me become the player that I am today and we all got to the Finals because of that.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9025882/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-responds-criticism-former-orlando-magic-teammates

One future first-round pick from the Lakers

This pick is tied to the Lakers’ sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns for Steve Nash, and the Magic cannot receive the Lakers’ first-round pick until the Lakers satisfy their obligation to the Suns.

That said, the only way the Magic don’t get a protected pick from the Lakers for the 2017 draft is if the Lakers are terrible in 2012-13 and fail to make the playoffs. That’s not going to happen.

But if the Lakers don’t make the playoffs until 2013-14, the Magic would get a Lakers’ protected first-round pick in 2018. If by some miracle the Lakers don’t make the playoffs in any of the next three seasons, the Magic would not get a first-round pick from the Lakers and instead would get the Lakers’ second-round pick in 2017 and the Lakers’ second-round pick in 2018 because of the CBA rule that prevents a team from trading a first-round pick seven years out.

Here are the protection terms:

• 2017 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from sixth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to fifth overall, L.A. will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a protected first-round pick in 2018.

• 2018 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from sixth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to fifth overall, L.A. will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a first-round pick in 2019.

• 2019 draft: Unprotected. The Magic will receive the pick no matter what it falls.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2012/08/explanation-on-the-draft-picks-the-magic-will-receive-in-the-dwight-howard-deal.html

So by my estimation we need the Lakers to make the playoffs in 2 of the next 3 years.. But to be honest 2017+ are so far away I'd rather the Lakers just lose.

• Upvote 1

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2012/08/explanation-on-the-draft-picks-the-magic-will-receive-in-the-dwight-howard-deal.html

So by my estimation we need the Lakers to make the playoffs in 2 of the next 3 years.. But to be honest 2017+ are so far away I'd rather the Lakers just lose.

Going by odds you would say they will most probably not make it this year. I would say they will make it in the next couple of seasons.. thus we would still get the pick. So in this case I will continue to cheer against them making the playoffs.

God I hate the very idea of protected picks. The fact that Hennigan was not able to get a non protected pick out of that Dwight Howard trade to me is so far the one black mark on his time here.

God I hate the very idea of protected picks. The fact that Hennigan was not able to get a non protected pick out of that Dwight Howard trade to me is so far the one black mark on his time here.

I also was like wth.

I also was like wth.

He clearly nailed it with Vucevic, Afflalo, and Moore. Harrington is a good expiring contract to have. He also clearly made a good choice in Nicholson as well. Not taking on Bynum in the trade was a stoke of genius. Dumping QRich, JRich, and Duhon was good as well. Some haven't liked the Ryan Anderson move but I'm for it. Baby is a better defensive player and still a solid offensive option as well, and although we only got Ayon, that's better then the nothing we would have got if they let him walk.

So far I've liked all his moves. But not getting an unprotected pick out of a franchise altering top 5 player trade is ridiculous.

He clearly nailed it with Vucevic, Afflalo, and Moore. Harrington is a good expiring contract to have. He also clearly made a good choice in Nicholson as well. Not taking on Bynum in the trade was a stoke of genius. Dumping QRich, JRich, and Duhon was good as well. Some haven't liked the Ryan Anderson move but I'm for it. Baby is a better defensive player and still a solid offensive option as well, and although we only got Ayon, that's better then the nothing we would have got if they let him walk.

So far I've liked all his moves. But not getting an unprotected pick out of a franchise altering top 5 player trade is ridiculous.

I was for the anderson trade because we did not want to over pay as stretch 4 with out d12. Plus, we drafted Drew. We had needs at 5 and goose gives us that as an ok big at a great price.

Not taking on Bynum in the trade was a stoke of genius.

Stroke of genius? More like common sense in my opinion. It was evident to anyone not working at ESPN that Bynum is damaged goods.

Don't get me wrong though, I've loved all the moves thus far.

But not getting an unprotected pick out of a franchise altering top 5 player trade is ridiculous.

Dwight did hold the team hostage for that time period. It's kind of hard to negotiate when people know your star is leaving anyway. Because of this, we had to settle for hidden gems instead of big names and/or picks. It also didn't help that the teams D12 wanted to go to had garbage trade assets.

It is taking all of my willpower to not lock this thread based solely on the title.....

I thought Hennigan did a decent job unloading salary and getting a few prospects out of the deal but the part that still disturbs me is all of the restrictions attached to the picks.

We couldn't get a unprotected first rounder out of the Lakers??

Taking that one step further is the fact that a reasonable scenario exists where the Lakers part of the deal could only be a 2nd round pick.

Even though it might cost us I still can't find myself to root for the Lakers.....I want them to lose every game and every year even if it means the Magic only getting a 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

It is taking all of my willpower to not lock this thread based solely on the title.....

I thought Hennigan did a decent job unloading salary and getting a few prospects out of the deal but the part that still disturbs me is all of the restrictions attached to the picks.

We couldn't get a unprotected first rounder out of the Lakers??

Taking that one step further is the fact that a reasonable scenario exists where the Lakers part of the deal could only be a 2nd round pick.

Even though it might cost us I still can't find myself to root for the Lakers.....I want them to lose every game and every year even if it means the Magic only getting a 2nd round pick.

Not that this makes it much better but its 2 second rounders... So ... that's something... Lol