Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Sorry guys!

It's been a crazy week. Yesterday before I left for the T-Mac invitational my computer started acting up. Evidently the boards now have a different server. I'm with AOL on a dial-up computer. When I tried to get on the boards last night it keeps saying to e-mail NBA.com for technical issues. It was driving me nuts!

I finally figured out to get on the boards I had to use Internet Explorer. It is going extremely slow so bear with me.

Last week after reading all the free agency threads it was really stimulating my curiosity. I, like the rest of you, was trying to figue out what direction the Magic would go. I thought to myself that I live right here in Polk County where great players like McGrady and Stoudimire grew up. I have great resources already established, why don't I try and use them to see what I can find.

My first option was a gentleman named Ty. He was Tracy's coach in the 10th grade at Auburndale high school. He and I are good friends still and we both work for the Polk County School Board. I called him asking about among other things what his relationship was with Tracy. The thinking was if I could track McGrady or someone that is tight with him, maybe I could find out the intentions of one Vince Carter.

Ty told me Tracy's best friend, Obie, has a business in Auburndale. He said Obie was Tracy's best man at his wedding. He said Obie could tell me much about Tracy.

On Tuesday of this past week Ty finally got a hold of Obie. I told Ty to ask him if I could call and talk to him. Ty did and Obie said yes. I called Obie at his business. He was a very friendly dude. Before we hung up he gave me his cell phone number and told me to call back later on. I did. He then told me he had talked to Tracy but didn't ask him anything basketball related because he said they never talk about hoops. He said he would for me though. This was on Thusday. He also mentioned to me that Tracy was gonna be in town(Auburndale) for his annual summer tournament. He said you could go there and I'm sure you could talk to him if you wanted.

Yesterday, I went to another gentleman here where I live who is a police officer. His name is Burney. Amare Stoudimire had a rough life growing up. Burney was his father figure. Amare lived with him until his crazy basketball skills got him swept away from Burney. Burney and I are lifelong friends having played competitive basketball together. I stopped by Burney's office and we talked for about an hour. I inquired of Burney if Amare ever mentioned other players in the league and possible free agent destinations. He said not really. We mostly talk about the Suns but that Amare was playing in Auburndale tonight and I could ask him then. I said cool.

I arrived at the gym last night with my young son. We got there just at tip-off. It was really a treat watching Amare perform. Burney was sitting next to me. After the game Amare came over and spoke to Burney. When they finished my son wanted to shake hands with Amare which they did. I asked Amare if he knew anything about Vince Carter's possible intentions to join the Magic. He said no and that he really didn't care about the Magic. I told him that's not true cause I know at one time he loved them. He then admitted that was true at one time but that that was then and this is now. He then told me Phoenix is where it's at and he said and I quote, "that's all I care about"!

He then proceeded out to his mini-van in the parking lot and started giving away all shapes and sizes of Suns jersies. Each shirt still had price tags on them. Every shirt was valued at $100.00 or more. He gave my son one and shook his hand again. My son hasn't taken the shirt off yet!(lol)

In between games T-Macs team started arriving at the gym. One gentleman sitting close to me said that guy right there is the coach as he pointed him out to me. I eyeballed him cause I fully intended trying to speak with him before I left.

During a quarter break I noticed the coach leaving. I asked to be excused to use the restroom as I followed him out. I stopped the gentleman in the hallway of the corridor of the gym and tried to gently explain my intentions so as to keep him from getting his guard up. As we walked he told me Vince would like to play here. He said and I quote, "the Magic have to show him some love". I'm not sure he meant as in talking to him to show interest or in showing him more love by offering him more money. I didn't want to push the issue to much so I kindly thanked him for sharing with me as we parted ways.

During the next game I noticed one of the officials was a guy I played against in college and we had kept in touch through the years. His name was Frank. After the game he was officiating was over he headed for the officials personal room. It was off limits to fans so security would not let me in. I explained the situation and the gentleman was nice enough to go into the dressing room and ask Frank about me. He told security to definitely let the guy in.

Frank and I chatted about many things. Frank was an employee of the Magic organization running many summer camps at the RDV sportsplex. He now works for the league office running camps worldwide. We were both marveling at what a physical specimen Amare is close up. Frank told me what's even more amazing is that when Amare is standing next to Dwight Howard, Dwight makes him look small. I agreed. He told me Dwight lifts weights constantly at the RDV when he's around. Frank said he has seen him and that he truly believes Dwight loves lifting. As a Magic fan it made me feel good and I thought you guys would enjoy hearing that.

When I finished talking with Frank I walked back out to game. T-Macs's game was already in progress. McGrady did not play. Before I walked into the gym I stopped for a moment because I didn't want to cross past the baseline in the game while the ball was in play. This is a very small gym mind you. There were 3 policemen standing right next too me. There was a gentleman sitting in a chair right beside the referee's locker as I excited that room. It was none other than Tracy. I though, "oh my gosh, I gotta say something"!

After a few moments I finally got my nerve up. I was dressed in my Magic gear. I asked him point blank, "is there any chance Vince Carter will be wearing a Magic uniform next year"?

He said, "that's a tough question, I really can't comment".

The police then asked me to move into the stands because they said Tracy was sitting there so people wouldn't attack him. I said no problem.

I moved about 10 feet away and stood by the stands the entire first half while Tracy was sitting. All of Tracy's high school basketball teammates were standing close to him also. Some of them I had met while I was in the officials dressing room. They came over and made conversation with me.

One of them told me he had done basketball camps with Vince Carter's dad. He said Vince's dad told him more than once that Carter wanted to play in Orlando. The main point being that he lived here and wanted to be here.

Back to Amare for a minute. Burney(his dad), told me Amare was going to be staying with Drew Gooden. The Drew Gooden that plays for the Cavs. I asked him how were Amare and Drew good friends? He said that when Amare played basketball for Cypress Creek in Orlando that Drew was playing for the Magic then. They became good friends. Drew Gooden still maintains a home here. It got me to thinking and even Frank mentioned this that Orlando is a very attractive free agent destination. He(Frank) said guys want to be here. He mentioned the rumor of Garnett to Boston and said the Celtics used to be the ultimate franchise but nowadays players like to live in warm climates. Cold weather ain't happening.

Anyway, that's about it for now. It was really an adventure and I met some good references for the future. I am planning on going back tommorrow for the finals and I'll see what I can dig up.

As far as Vince? Draw your own conclusions. I did the best I could to satisfy my curiosity as well as try to give you guys some clues too.

p.s. Is anybody else having problems with the new server? If anybody else has AOL could you please e-mail NBA.com and tell them there is a problem with the server? All of the AOL people I talk to say that it's not an AOL problem.

It's been a crazy week. Yesterday before I left for the T-Mac invitational my computer started acting up. Evidently the boards now have a different server. I'm with AOL on a dial-up computer. When I tried to get on the boards last night it keeps saying to e-mail NBA.com for technical issues. It was driving me nuts!

I finally figured out to get on the boards I had to use Internet Explorer. It is going extremely slow so bear with me.

Last week after reading all the free agency threads it was really stimulating my curiosity. I, like the rest of you, was trying to figue out what direction the Magic would go. I thought to myself that I live right here in Polk County where great players like McGrady and Stoudimire grew up. I have great resources already established, why don't I try and use them to see what I can find.

My first option was a gentleman named Ty. He was Tracy's coach in the 10th grade at Auburndale high school. He and I are good friends still and we both work for the Polk County School Board. I called him asking about among other things what his relationship was with Tracy. The thinking was if I could track McGrady or someone that is tight with him, maybe I could find out the intentions of one Vince Carter.

Ty told me Tracy's best friend, Obie, has a business in Auburndale. He said Obie was Tracy's best man at his wedding. He said Obie could tell me much about Tracy.

On Tuesday of this past week Ty finally got a hold of Obie. I told Ty to ask him if I could call and talk to him. Ty did and Obie said yes. I called Obie at his business. He was a very friendly dude. Before we hung up he gave me his cell phone number and told me to call back later on. I did. He then told me he had talked to Tracy but didn't ask him anything basketball related because he said they never talk about hoops. He said he would for me though. This was on Thusday. He also mentioned to me that Tracy was gonna be in town(Auburndale) for his annual summer tournament. He said you could go there and I'm sure you could talk to him if you wanted.

Yesterday, I went to another gentleman here where I live who is a police officer. His name is Burney. Amare Stoudimire had a rough life growing up. Burney was his father figure. Amare lived with him until his crazy basketball skills got him swept away from Burney. Burney and I are lifelong friends having played competitive basketball together. I stopped by Burney's office and we talked for about an hour. I inquired of Burney if Amare ever mentioned other players in the league and possible free agent destinations. He said not really. We mostly talk about the Suns but that Amare was playing in Auburndale tonight and I could ask him then. I said cool.

I arrived at the gym last night with my young son. We got there just at tip-off. It was really a treat watching Amare perform. Burney was sitting next to me. After the game Amare came over and spoke to Burney. When they finished my son wanted to shake hands with Amare which they did. I asked Amare if he knew anything about Vince Carter's possible intentions to join the Magic. He said no and that he really didn't care about the Magic. I told him that's not true cause I know at one time he loved them. He then admitted that was true at one time but that that was then and this is now. He then told me Phoenix is where it's at and he said and I quote, "that's all I care about"!

He then proceeded out to his mini-van in the parking lot and started giving away all shapes and sizes of Suns jersies. Each shirt still had price tags on them. Every shirt was valued at $100.00 or more. He gave my son one and shook his hand again. My son hasn't taken the shirt off yet!(lol)

In between games T-Macs team started arriving at the gym. One gentleman sitting close to me said that guy right there is the coach as he pointed him out to me. I eyeballed him cause I fully intended trying to speak with him before I left.

During a quarter break I noticed the coach leaving. I asked to be excused to use the restroom as I followed him out. I stopped the gentleman in the hallway of the corridor of the gym and tried to gently explain my intentions so as to keep him from getting his guard up. As we walked he told me Vince would like to play here. He said and I quote, "the Magic have to show him some love". I'm not sure he meant as in talking to him to show interest or in showing him more love by offering him more money. I didn't want to push the issue to much so I kindly thanked him for sharing with me as we parted ways.

During the next game I noticed one of the officials was a guy I played against in college and we had kept in touch through the years. His name was Frank. After the game he was officiating was over he headed for the officials personal room. It was off limits to fans so security would not let me in. I explained the situation and the gentleman was nice enough to go into the dressing room and ask Frank about me. He told security to definitely let the guy in.

Frank and I chatted about many things. Frank was an employee of the Magic organization running many summer camps at the RDV sportsplex. He now works for the league office running camps worldwide. We were both marveling at what a physical specimen Amare is close up. Frank told me what's even more amazing is that when Amare is standing next to Dwight Howard, Dwight makes him look small. I agreed. He told me Dwight lifts weights constantly at the RDV when he's around. Frank said he has seen him and that he truly believes Dwight loves lifting. As a Magic fan it made me feel good and I thought you guys would enjoy hearing that.

When I finished talking with Frank I walked back out to game. T-Macs's game was already in progress. McGrady did not play. Before I walked into the gym I stopped for a moment because I didn't want to cross past the baseline in the game while the ball was in play. This is a very small gym mind you. There were 3 policemen standing right next too me. There was a gentleman sitting in a chair right beside the referee's locker as I excited that room. It was none other than Tracy. I though, "oh my gosh, I gotta say something"!

After a few moments I finally got my nerve up. I was dressed in my Magic gear. I asked him point blank, "is there any chance Vince Carter will be wearing a Magic uniform next year"?

He said, "that's a tough question, I really can't comment".

The police then asked me to move into the stands because they said Tracy was sitting there so people wouldn't attack him. I said no problem.

I moved about 10 feet away and stood by the stands the entire first half while Tracy was sitting. All of Tracy's high school basketball teammates were standing close to him also. Some of them I had met while I was in the officials dressing room. They came over and made conversation with me.

One of them told me he had done basketball camps with Vince Carter's dad. He said Vince's dad told him more than once that Carter wanted to play in Orlando. The main point being that he lived here and wanted to be here.

Back to Amare for a minute. Burney(his dad), told me Amare was going to be staying with Drew Gooden. The Drew Gooden that plays for the Cavs. I asked him how were Amare and Drew good friends? He said that when Amare played basketball for Cypress Creek in Orlando that Drew was playing for the Magic then. They became good friends. Drew Gooden still maintains a home here. It got me to thinking and even Frank mentioned this that Orlando is a very attractive free agent destination. He(Frank) said guys want to be here. He mentioned the rumor of Garnett to Boston and said the Celtics used to be the ultimate franchise but nowadays players like to live in warm climates. Cold weather ain't happening.

Anyway, that's about it for now. It was really an adventure and I met some good references for the future. I am planning on going back tommorrow for the finals and I'll see what I can dig up.

As far as Vince? Draw your own conclusions. I did the best I could to satisfy my curiosity as well as try to give you guys some clues too.

p.s. Is anybody else having problems with the new server? If anybody else has AOL could you please e-mail NBA.com and tell them there is a problem with the server? All of the AOL people I talk to say that it's not an AOL problem.

Vince Carter has 2 come here it is just meant 2 be. i hope. thanks 4 sharing that story was fun reading it.

PS> I live in Polk County also , where exactly is this basketball event going on 2marrow in Aburndale?

Thanks

Dude, even I could've told you that Vince will not be here next season. We don't have enough room, he's late in his career, and reports say Vince is close to resigning with the Nets. You should ask about Lewis and Kobe instead.

Junkie, you've got some guts man, lol. Ball Junkie, message board detective, hahahah.

Man, I really appreciate all your efforts and trouble trying to find info about this whole situation. Have fun tomorrow and who knows, maybe the Horse will be there?

Junkie....great work gathering all of that info....sounds like fun actually.

The only thing I have to point out though, is that Amare Stoudemire and Drew Gooden were both drafted in 2002. Gooden by Memphis at #4, and Amare by Phoenix at #9. Therefore, it is impossible that Stoudemire met Gooden while Stoudemire was at Cypress Creek and Gooden was playing for us.

Junkie is 1 level from being popular with the Basketball players. Hmm...nice info Junkie...I wish I had a Jersey. hahaha

Thanks for the info Junkie!!

I don't know how the Magic can really show Vince love until 7-1?

Any contact before then can be construed as player tampering.

I just hope Vince does opt and Otis is ready to

"Show the Love" on 7-1!