Sign in to follow this  
LaVar

Tobias Harris - Iso Situations

Tobias Harris - Iso Situations

JV needs to stop all the switching that our defense does. What your your thoughts?

JV needs to stop all the switching that our defense does. What your your thoughts?

I'm confused by this thread. The video shows examples of what appears to be mostly good defense with a large portion of it being Tobias Harris playing defense in Iso situations successfully, yet the topic of your concern seems to be about JV's defensive switching.

I'm not sure if you were trying to highlight how well Tobias played iso defense on what appeared to be smaller opponents most the time or your main concern was our defensive switching and you've just chosen a video that provides more of a contradiction than anything else towards your point.

I'm confused by this thread. The video shows examples of what appears to be mostly good defense with a large portion of it being Tobias Harris playing defense in Iso situations successfully, yet the topic of your concern seems to be about JV's defensive switching.

I'm not sure if you were trying to highlight how well Tobias played iso defense on what appeared to be smaller opponents most the time or your main concern was our defensive switching and you've just chosen a video that provides more of a contradiction than anything else towards your point.

i wanted to show harris's defense, which is better than most people realize, but could not help to notice just how much we switch. It creates mismatches for no reason at all. Harris only got hurt on defense when stuck with pg type players or much bigger bodies.

i wanted to show harris's defense, which is better than most people realize, but could not help to notice just how much we switch. It creates mismatches for no reason at all. Harris only got hurt on defense when stuck with pg type players or much bigger bodies.

He was only with the team later in the season, I think it was Vaughn testing out the waters and kind of evaluating Harris and others throughout the entire season. I look at 2013 season as a "feeling out process" for the talent that we currently have. Even utilizing players in ways that wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

• Upvote 1

In the NBA, switching happens - creating a mismatch is a primary offensive tool, it is the point behind pick and rolls, pick and pops, and most screen plays. The alternative to switching is usually worse - fouling while trying to fight through a screen or pick; or opening up the player to shoot or drive to the basket while going under the screen/pick or over it behind them. In point of fact, switching is an integral part of good, team defense. Watch Thibodeau's Bulls. For that matter, go back and watch the Magic back in '07-'08, and '08-'09 and the Celtics back when Thib was Doc's assistant. All of those systems were designed around a center who could defend the middle (Howard/Perkins/Noah) and a lot of switching on the wings.

In the NBA, switching happens - creating a mismatch is a primary offensive tool, it is the point behind pick and rolls, pick and pops, and most screen plays. The alternative to switching is usually worse - fouling while trying to fight through a screen or pick; or opening up the player to shoot or drive to the basket while going under the screen/pick or over it behind them. In point of fact, switching is an integral part of good, team defense. Watch Thibodeau's Bulls. For that matter, go back and watch the Magic back in '07-'08, and '08-'09 and the Celtics back when Thib was Doc's assistant. All of those systems were designed around a center who could defend the middle (Howard/Perkins/Noah) and a lot of switching on the wings.

Our switching is different because we switch on screens and p/r when we don't have to. The best teams in the league, in today's game, do not switch on every play.

I'm actually a fan of liberal switching and suspect that we'll probably see more of it in the future. But of course the key to the entire process is making sure that everyone does it, and not just the two defenders closest to the ball.

I think a lot of the time the switching occurred by necessity in the form of the other team forcing the switch, not the other way around. That's what happens when you have a group of people on the floor who don't know team defense.

I think a lot of the time the switching occurred by necessity in the form of the other team forcing the switch, not the other way around. That's what happens when you have a group of people on the floor who don't know team defense.

I hope that our switching is because our team is still learning and not part of the system being placed. It is not working yet.

He was only with the team later in the season, I think it was Vaughn testing out the waters and kind of evaluating Harris and others throughout the entire season. I look at 2013 season as a "feeling out process" for the talent that we currently have. Even utilizing players in ways that wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

Great post. Sad it took me 26 days to read but such is the nature of this message board.