UEBERMORTAL

Is D12 the most overrated player in Magic's history?

@ Marc

NO

This was in reference to Jec's comment about the reason why we sniffed the finals, which Jec felt it was Dwight Howard. I am just pointing out the hard facts that Dwight had little to do with it and it was more a team effort than anything else. The only time Dwight took over was in the Cleveland series and even then it took a Lewis turn around 3 to beat the Cav's.

Uh if you can agree that Turk putting up those numbers would never have happened if Dwight were not on the floor then I think you kinda have to aknowledge that the guy had a rather large impact on the offensive end of the floor. Regardless of what you think about his offense that team would have been a first round out at best without Dwight. Even if we all agreed that his offense sucked (which I don't) then you have to realize that his defense ALONE was what made this team a contender. That by itself is increadible when you consider the other players that were on the floor with him "playing" defense.

Regardless of what you think about his offense that team would have been a first round out at best without Dwight.

Especially when you consider Philly took us to 6 games with Dwight for 5 games.

Expand that thought across the whole playoff series and you would see that Turk and Lewis had as much to do with us going to the finals as Dwight did. Please review the link and stats that are on that link.

Again, Dwight wasnt the reason why we made it the finals... he was apart of it. And to be very honest, its hard to be that guy who can take a team on the back and run. I mean Mike did it..... Hakeem did it.... Tim Duncan did it... All guys who won the championship with their drafted team. Everyone else who won, needed help: Kobe twice, Paul, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Shaq, Pau, KG, Ray, etc.

Hm. I'd like to argue that Mike without Pippen wouldn't have been Mike and wouldn't have won as many championships. I'll stop short of saying 'none,' but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be more than two.

Hakeem had a few players on his team, but yeah: that dude was incredible.

Tim had David freaking Robinson the first time, and Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli aren't exactly incompetent.

I guess I'm saying that, like you were saying, it ALWAYS takes a team. Dwight wanted to be THE GUY, which he was, but part of being THE GUY, and the part he never got, was that one guy will never win anything. And when you spend an entire season and a half beating your own team down? Guess what? They won't play as hard. Honestly, I'm not sure Dwight's bright enough to ever understand that.

Was he an overrated player for Orlando? No. He wasn't as good as Shaq but no one said he was, he was just known and was the best center in the league.

Is he overrated player for the Lakers? That's the better question. Touches the ball less but averages the same amount of turnovers as last season, rebounds on par with Asik despite being in a D'Antoni offense, jogs back on defense constantly and not to mention the Lakers' struggles. Still best center in the league? It is debatable really but personally I'd even put players like Varejao over him at the moment.

Was he an overrated player for Orlando? No. He wasn't as good as Shaq but no one said he was, he was just known and was the best center in the league.

Is he overrated player for the Lakers? That's the better question. Touches the ball less but averages the same amount of turnovers as last season, rebounds on par with Asik despite being in a D'Antoni offense, jogs back on defense constantly and not to mention the Lakers' struggles. Still best center in the league? It is debatable really but personally I'd even put players like Varejao over him at the moment.

He's fresh off an injury and I'll bet he's coasting a little, too, not used to having perennial allstars on his team, and a true hall-of-famer in Kobe (and maybe Pau).

howard is a great talent. He is one of the best defensive players to ever play at his age. Shaq was a better offensive player but howard was a much better defensive than shaq.

It is hard for player to adjust to new team but it is even hard to adjust to two different systems in 4 months because of coaching changes. No, Howard is not overrated. When he is playing his best, he is a mvp type player and the best center in the league. His problem and the magic's problem was he has never been the leader we needed.

• Upvote 1

This argument is unreal. The Magic finals team probably wins 40 games without Dwight. We were starting Rafer Alston and Courtney Lee for Christ's sake.

Yes, Dwight Howard is a great player...But not one of the best centers ever or better than young Shaq...thats how we were reffering to him when he was wearing Magic uniform...and we must admit that...now if you look at him and even look back you just realise how limited he was and how low was his basketball IQ...those ridiculous goal tendings, stupid frustration fouls when he was bothered by the physical defense, crying after calls and etc. I enjoy so much now to see his limitied role with the Lakers...He is not as skillfull as Amare was, so he is not that effective on the PnR with Nash, he is so awkward after getting a pass on the move...he only can pass it back to the perimeter, nothing else...I like how he is blaming everyone and finding excuses after his poor perfomances...I was not really hating Shaq when he left, he played his contract out and left...Magic originally offered him less money! stupid polls in locas newspapers...of course Shaq wanted to leave but who know what could have happened if the Magic tried differently to keep him...Dwight's situation was different...he decided long before he got to the last year of his deal that he would leave...he was talking to Deron about joining forces...then a secret meeting with Nets...then all this stupid loyalty thing and blackmailing and SVG's situation and etc. etc. He will never succeed after that, never...Lebron is the greatest person ever comparing to Dwight...Lebron actually must thanks Dwight that he took all the hatred off him on himself...Interesting to see whats going to happen next, Kobe will play at least another 3 years on the similar level...so it won't be Dwight's team for a long time...and he is not getting younger and as he gets older his game would be even worse...Only team which can sign him is Dallas in the offseason but he definitely won't be among contenders with the Mavs...So, thats it...I will be enjoying Dwights torture by the media, fans and everyone else...

Lol

No he's not.

He's arguably the greatest Magic player ever, the records speak for themselves, but he has regressed in LA, it's not his team, it's not his lockerroom. the only thing he likes about LA is off the court opportunities I don't believe he actually likes playing for the Lakers. The body language is awful

he made a mistake leaving the magic he won't admit it for a few years but eventually he'll realize it, the LA media has been goin in on him, and the laker fans do not have any attachment to him like the orlando fanbase did. Dwight screwed Dwight.

Shard was an all star player before coming here.

So categorically false.

Rashard Lewis was an All-Star in the Magic uniform as well. If I am not mistaken during his second season with us...