Sign in to follow this  
A Better DJ & Photographer

5 months after the trades... how do you feel about the team

Rate our trade now that the season is rolling along  

43 members have voted

1. 1. were the trades great, good, bad, terrible?

• great- the moves we made set us up to return to greatness the fastest way possible
    • good- we might be OK
    • bad- we should have kept Dwight 1 more season
    • terrible- we will suck forever

So far this has been a surprising season in a lot of respects. Both the offense and the defense have come along much more quickly than expected. We have lost leads late in the game but did not fold, instead came back to win. We have had games that were close late and we put them away. But earlier today I was looking at the standings on espn.com and came across a real surprise. On the tab that shows standings by division, Orlando is 7-4 against the western conference. Only Miami has a better record and they are 8-3, only one game better. We are also now 10th in the east, but only one game behind Boston in 8th. We are only 3 games out of 4th place. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

It's not until this season that the Amway Center has felt like home to me. I feel like a team has finally taken up residence and it's a breath of fresh air.

The only part I did not like about it was the draft picks the got in the trade. While I still feel they could have been better (though I must admit I have no idea how her could have gotten better ones). However looking at how the players we got in the trade have performed along with the two signings in Moore and Jones have played, I have to think the organization knows what they are doing and will make the most of those picks and the tradeable asets to get us contending again.

So glad Howard is gone. Do miss the talent, just not the drama.

Now that the season is rolling along, how do you feel about out team?

IMO what we gave up in Dwight/Anderson/Clark/JRich/Duhon is not as good for our team as AA/Harrington/Vuc/Hark/McBob/Ayon, plus Moore who we wouldn't have had the $ to sign, plus picks, plus 2 big TPEs.

We got 3 good defenders instead of 1 great one, a lot more heart and hustle, we got younger, no Dwama, and we got out of the cap hell that Otis put us in. We have a team that everyone is happy to play on, we got some decent picks, and some TPEs should we decide to use or trade them. For the 1st time in a long time we actually have a very fun team to watch where everybody plays hard (until Turk comes back), and that has a lot of potential for the future. Our team can even shoot FTs! On top of all of that, we got rid of DUHON!!!

Thoughts?

Our team has a lot of work to do, but it is nice to be following a team that just works hard everyday and doesn't have any drama. Hopefully we are getting back to building something special again.

But I will say that this team, the 2012 Magic are better than all the other teams we had with Dwight, besides the 2009 Magic.

I love watching this team compete but this is just laughably untrue. The 07-08 would beat this team rather convincingly. The 09-10 team would absolutely steamroll them.

I'm happy about the outcome of the whole Dwight fiasco given the circumstances surrounding it. I'm more excited about the potential of our front office than our current roster, honestly. And that isn't a slight on the roster but rather, my confidence in Hennigan's ability.

I know we all hate Dwight but every team he was on was better than this team. Even last years team was 33-21 before he got hurt. And he was trying like 48% of the time.

This team sucks but it is entertaining.

I came across this article that came out today...

http://talkhoops247.com/2012/12/19/re-evaluating-the-dwight-howard-trade/

Pretty much agree with it. The Magic are winning the trade so far. Plus we got that win earlier this month. :)/>

Great article! And, yes, I love this team. A lot of potential and so much more fun to watch. Plus, the decline in Dwight's play clearly shows the back injury may be affecting his game (or maybe it's Kobe ball hoggin' it?). Anyway, very happy with this team, and we are on the up up up.

I know we all hate Dwight but every team he was on was better than this team. Even last years team was 33-21 before he got hurt. And he was trying like 48% of the time.

This team sucks but it is entertaining.

This team does NOT suck. They are on the cusp of gelling IMHO. Have you watched any of the last 9 games?

Dom's analogy is probably correct, if we are talking about today, but the reality is that we were not going to get our money's worth in the Dwight Howard trade because we were forced into the trade. If you sell your stock and lose money on it, it's not a good deal, but if you reinvest what you sold it for in another stock that goes through the roof, you are redeemed. If Harkless and Vucevic make the All Star squad in 3 years (just an example), then we are redeemed. My point is that I don't think the trades were as bad as we thought, but we won't know how good they were for quite some time.

what if we buy/trade for an allstar with the 17mil trade exemption? Then what are your thoughts?

I'd literally hate us to trade for an all star! Why? Because there will be nobody available who could lead this team to a championship. At best you'll be able to get fringe all-stars like Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Brandon Jennings. Nobody is going to be giving away a Melo or Lebron or KD, especially considering we have nothing of value to trade.

Stick to rebuilding. The only way we're winning a championship is by drafting a super star or signing one in free agency and since there isn't a superstar free agent coming around any time soon (besides Dwight or CP3 who will both probably either reup in LA or unite in Dallas.) we should just continue to do what we're doing. Showcase the vets and develop the young guys.

• Upvote 1