Sign in to follow this  
Tactical Tomato

Did anyone notice who Memphis just hired?

per Yahoo!:

...the Memphis Grizzlies have hired ESPN.com's John Hollinger, the creator of Player Efficiency Rating (PER) and the most famous stats-minded basketball writer in the world, as their new Vice President of Basketball Operations.

http://yhoo.it/SXW5kM

I think it's pretty cool how advanced statistics are really challenging how we look at the game and how players are impacting it, whether it be positive or negative. I find it pretty crazy how Hollinger's name hasn't come up more often in these nba exec hirings. I don't always agree with the guy but he seems to support most of his arguments with facts that most sports writers completely ignore when they write their garbage. What do you guys think about the hiring?

Good for him. So much of ESPN's substance comes from him, so it will be interesting to see if they can replace him.

That I dont think is possible... Had some quality stuff.

Good for him. So much of ESPN's substance comes from him, so it will be interesting to see if they can replace him.

Probably not. It's going to be all LA/NYC, all the time.

It does seem like a very strange hire.

I get why you would say that, but it really shouldn't seem strange.

In any other industry, if you have people who have made significant contributions toward removing flaws in how that industry is understood, they're generally highly regarded. Only in sports is that seen as a bad thing.

• Upvote 1