Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Ryan Anderson

25 members have voted

1. 1. Did We Make a Mistake By Not Re-Signing Ryan Anderson?

• Yes, he's worth 9 million a year for the following reasons...
    • No, he's not worth 9 million a year for the following reasons...

This is true, he is playing amazing this year though. Then again, he played great last year until the playoffs.

His, "amazing" play is on a 5 and 12 team remember. He is a great shooter and decent rebounder, but can not guard a fire hydrant. His disaperance in the last two playoffs sealed the deal on Ryan. I wish him luck, he seems like a nice guy.

I would have liked to have seen him stay, shooters like him don't fall off trees these days and his age is a bigger factor in keeping him, I think he would have helped the Magic rebuild quicker in some ways. I also reckon last years playoffs was a bad example to judge him as the plays drawn up by SVG for him were too predictable by then and considering the amount of stuff going on within the team because of the guy we won't mention on here certainly ddin't bring out the best in the team.

No we're rebuilding and we wouldn't be able to trade him for a year, the magic had good reason to believe he couldn't be worth the money w/o dwight, he needs other people to get him shots. we had drafted Nicholson, bottom line is, we can't afford to have 17 mil tied up in 3 pf's long term.

Most of you wanted us to bottom out, keeping Ryan at his cap number wouldn't help and we want capspace for 14' or 15' anyways

His, "amazing" play is on a 5 and 12 team remember. He is a great shooter and decent rebounder, but can not guard a fire hydrant. His disaperance in the last two playoffs sealed the deal on Ryan. I wish him luck, he seems like a nice guy.

So you do not think he is playing amazing, or great or whatever? I did go out and call his play all star like or anything close to that. Instead, I thought I was stating the obvious.

The fact the he is on a 5 and 12 and is having a career year so far is actually a sign he could still be improving. I mean the knock on him here was that he disappeared after howard went down and then even more so in the playoffs. Right now he is playing next to Robin Lopez, whom while I believe he is a better defender than his brother, is not as good a defender than Howard was on D. Further, Robin is not the same offensive player and Brook (or Howard last year). Yet he appears to be thriving on a weaker team than last years magic.

I am saying all this like I am on the side that the Magic made a mistake, which I am not. He is not worth 9 million a year IMO, though he is playing closer to that pay check than he did last year.

Mehmet Okur.

Don't forget that Ryan doesn't have a midrange game.

I don't think anyone's footwork can compare to Dirk's, but that's just me. I have never seen anyone make such an awkward shot look so simple. Watching him train shooting like that was amazing to me.

Agreed with that. I really meant if Ryno played up to his full potential, and could be compared to a superstar whose game he should emulate, he should look at Dirk as to what he should focus on.

And yeah, I don't see him ever matching Dirk, but just like I thought LeBron should look at Magic Johnson more than Michael Jordan, I think Ryno should focus on things he's capable of. Dirk-lite (or god forbid, Okur-lite) would be a good goal.

But as others have pointed out, while I'd rather have him than Baby (and I should mention that I DO like Baby), Ryno for now is a one- or two-trick pony. Baby, for all his faults, brings more to the table right now.

Agreed with that. I really meant if Ryno played up to his full potential, and could be compared to a superstar whose game he should emulate, he should look at Dirk as to what he should focus on.

He's nothing like Dirk. Please stop.

This is true, he is playing amazing this year though. Then again, he played great last year until the playoffs.

yup, my biggest issue was the playoffs. he never played well in the playoffs.

And yeah, I don't see him ever matching Dirk, but just like I thought LeBron should look at Magic Johnson more than Michael Jordan, I think Ryno should focus on things he's capable of. Dirk-lite (or god forbid, Okur-lite) would be a good goal.

But as others have pointed out, while I'd rather have him than Baby (and I should mention that I DO like Baby), Ryno for now is a one- or two-trick pony. Baby, for all his faults, brings more to the table right now.

Don't take the Okur comparison as an insult; I don't think it is a very far-fetched comparison or even a goal. Many forget that Okur averaged 18/9 in 05-06 and he shot .378 from 3 for his career. I think there are a lot of fair similarities between the 2: great 3 point shooting PFs, solid rebounders, subpar athletes, and subpar defenders are on the list.

Okur's problem was that he never really recovered fully from his achilles injury and that was the final chapter of his NBA career.

I can go either way with this one, but Ryno's positives went so far beyond just his offensive abilities, which, as you stated, were considerable. I really do see Ryno as the next Dirk, although I don't think he'll ever quite have Dirk's moves or handles (so "Dirk-lite").

Ryno was also a positive guy, and while kind of goofy, never goofed off on the court (Dwight). He played hard every night, hustled every night, and was just...positive. Those are traits that are hard to coach into someone.

I get why we let him go, but I think Ryno might have been a better piece to hang onto than 'Meer, and I'm a HUGE fan Jameer.

Disagree. Meer is a leader and a stable veteran presence who makes people around him better by his presence. Anderson just doesn't bring enough intangibly to keep him over Jameer.