Sign in to follow this  
MoMagic1

New Orlean Hornets change team name....

Pelicans?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about it?

Personally i think the name is a little soft... Pelicans?? not very intimidating......

F*** You, Pelicans Are Awesome: A Defense Of The NBA’s Best New Team Name

So it looks like the New Orleans Hornets are going to change their name to become the Pelicans. You look around, and there are a bunch of smartasses making fun of this new name. Oh, a pelican, that's intimidating, they sneer. Well, here's what's up. These people don't know anything about good team names, and they sure as **** don't know anything about pelicans.

You're probably picturing a big, clumsy poof of a bird stumbling around in the shallows, picking at weeds. Wrong. The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds. Not only is it a carnivore—it is a hypercarnivore. (That's a scientific term; look it up.) The pelican eats meat, and only meat. The pelican doesn't eat anything that didn't used to be alive. What's more—unlike an eagle or a falcon—the pelican almost never scavenges someone else's kill. It craves warm flesh, so it gets the job done itself.

Oh, it splashes around in the water and gulps down fish that are just swimming by, that's not hunting, is a thing that fools say. While it's true that the White Pelican dips its head underwater and scoops out the fish, that's not the pelican we're talking about here. The Brown Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana, and it's the only species of pelican that dives to catch its prey. The Brown Pelican is a raptor, without the stupid purple dinosaur logo.

Deadspin Pelican Article

Discuss.Is it good or bad for nba/organization. ect

Personally i think the name is a little soft... Pelicans?? not very intimidating......

My link

Pelicans can be down right nasty. Few years back, one tried to steal a nice mackeral I cought at Sabastian Inlet. Problem was it was still in my hand and the nast bird third to swollow my hand with it. I did not let go and eventually it gave up and flew away.

Oh and there was a locally famous one that used to hang out at the Rod and Real Pier on Anna Maria Island named Stumpy. Thing used to make kids cry all the time.

As for a team name, I am not even sure its a good name for a D league team, much less for and NBA team.

Maybe they will be like the high school over on the beachside in Daytona. They are the Sand Crabs. But not just any Sand Crab, they are the Fighting Sand Crabs. So maybe we will have the Fighting Pelicans. Just a thought...