Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

PHX @ ORL Game Thread 11/4

Losing doesn't guarantee you the first pick

Making the playoffs doesn't guarantee you a ring, either.

I know what you're saying, but I'd much rather see the team bult through the draft than through free agency.

Building through the draft doesn't guarantee shiieeet.....literally a lottery sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't......how many high draft picks have the Bobcats had over the years that didn't amount to shiiieet......plus i think this years draft class isn't really that strong and honestly i don't think we're tanking this season simply because it's the same year Dwight left i don't think the Magic want to risk losing fans this season so it may be possible that they'll try to win as much as possible this season and try to make the playoffs to hook the fans.....THEN the next season we try to tank for Wiggins but for me personally i hate losing man.....tanking sucks for me....Big Time

They say every draft class isn't that great. Really, it's kinda foolish to grade a class until years down the road when everyone in that class is in their prime.

I get the risk involved in rebuilding through the draft, but that's part if it. I'd just rather see a team grow together and peak at about the same time rather than pick up a few pieces here and there. Look at teams like the Spurs. They rebuild through the draft and rely on free agency to fill holes in the roster. It's not impossible to rebuild that way. If you have a decent enough scouting department (which it looks like the organization might have now), it shouldn't be an issue.

Ehh, you have to take your licks at some point to achieve greatness... Unless you're the Lakers, of course.

They say every draft class isn't that great. Really, it's kinda foolish to grade a class until years down the road when everyone in that class is in their prime.

I get the risk involved in rebuilding through the draft, but that's part if it. I'd just rather see a team grow together and peak at about the same time rather than pick up a few pieces here and there. Look at teams like the Spurs. They rebuild through the draft and rely on free agency to fill holes in the roster. It's not impossible to rebuild that way. If you have a decent enough scouting department (which it looks like the organization might have now), it shouldn't be an issue.

Ehh, you have to take your licks at some point to achieve greatness... Unless you're the Lakers, of course.

The spurs didn't build their team on high draft picks, they were fortunate to be horrible for one season, when a generational player was the top prospect

sorry i won't cheer for this team to lose

I definitely agree. We really don't know what type of team we have yet. We don't know how good these guys can become. Henny came from a culture that picked up surprises via draft picks and good free agent signings. Vaughn learned from a coach who is highly creative with his rotations and maximized mismatches on the court. I know we were undermanned last night, but having the foresight to play McRoberts at SF, for instance, is a man who thinks outside the box.

Can we at least enjoy the next couple of weeks and see what this Magic team is really about before we criticize them for not tanking or make comments that suggest the best route is to tank? This CURRENT roster seems intelligently manufactured -- to compete. It is a roster full of high character and high energy individuals. Someone upstairs did their homework.

And for those that just say "Redick is gone." C'mon, really? The guy is balling right now. Could have an all star type season, and after 2 games there are people out there lamenting that he will be traded??? Not saying that he won't, but goodness. Magic fans -- just please enjoy the wins and trust that coach and management will do their best to create a team that is united and LOVES this team so that, yes, even people like Redick would buy into the Magic -- LONGTERM. Loyalty in San Antonio is largely reliant upon the CULTURE OF WINNING they have built there. We may be trying to build that here.

Loving the start of this season and loving this new Magic team. No Dwama. No Duhon. Lots of new favorite players. Period. Let's try to beat Chicago this Tuesday!!!

Building through the draft doesn't guarantee shiieeet.....literally a lottery sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't......how many high draft picks have the Bobcats had over the years that didn't amount to shiiieet......plus i think this years draft class isn't really that strong and honestly i don't think we're tanking this season simply because it's the same year Dwight left i don't think the Magic want to risk losing fans this season so it may be possible that they'll try to win as much as possible this season and try to make the playoffs to hook the fans.....THEN the next season we try to tank for Wiggins but for me personally i hate losing man.....tanking sucks for me....Big Time

^This^

The problem I have with the no.1 draft pick is that we become one of THOSE franchises again that caters itself to and builds around an individual player (a la Dwight). This may be important from a commercial standpoint, but as a fan i'd rather be watching team excellence (like now) than a superstar putting up 40 every night and controlling everything on and off the court.

I'd prefer it if we fight hard every night, help our current crop of rookies flourish and just let the situation evolve naturally.

• Upvote 2

Making the playoffs doesn't guarantee you a ring, either.

I know what you're saying, but I'd much rather see the team bult through the draft than through free agency.

well...

lets go off (NBA) topic, for a sec. This past NHL season, the LA Kings were 8th in the playoffs, later on became Stanley Cup Champions. So doesn't matter if the team in not the top 5 in the conference. As long they are in the playoffs, they are still competing for the championship. It also depends on the attitude of the team as well. If the Magic made it to the 8th seed but has an A-game attitude in the playoffs, then there is hope of winning it all.

well...

lets go off (NBA) topic, for a sec. This past NHL season, the LA Kings were 8th in the playoffs, later on became Stanley Cup Champions. So doesn't matter if the team in not the top 5 in the conference. As long they are in the playoffs, they are still competing for the championship. It also depends on the attitude of the team as well. If the Magic made it to the 8th seed but has an A-game attitude in the playoffs, then there is hope of winning it all.

They aren't the same at all and 8 seeds winning in the NHL is more common than in the NBA. Also, there's no team comparable to Miami in the NHL.

But it's cute to think Orlando can win a championship with this team.

The spurs didn't build their team on high draft picks, they were fortunate to be horrible for one season, when a generational player was the top prospect

Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan. Then look at all the other players they drafted that are no longer in the organization ie. Scola. Most were later picks.

My argument wasn't totally geared to getting high draft picks, I'm just saying rebuilding through the draft isn't impossible. However, common sense tells you higher draft picks probably increase your chances.

I'm not rooting for this team to lose either, I just won't want to be 8th seed for 4 straight years and make minimal progress towards the future. Some say we can revamp through free agency, but you really need an established core beforehand. Then again I suppose you can buy that core through free agency. Houston just did.

Tony Parker was drafted 28th, Ginobli was 57th.

I am not sure that people understand what Hennigan does. He finds players that fit a system. That is the Spurs way. Do you think Hennigan can find guys in late rounds? I do. Oquinn will replace Ayon, and Jones started last night. Moore was not a highly valued player on the market, but look at how well this guy played last night.

Of course the Magic need that one star player that is tough to find outside of a top 5 pick, trade or FA signing, but besides that Hennigan has the best team of scouts that any Magic fan has ever seen here.

It also helps that he already has taken an unknown coaching candidate in Vaughn, who is looking early in as a guy who will be considered a top 5 coach in the next 2-3 years.

• Upvote 1

I think our best bet is Free Agency, if we continue playing like this, sure we aren't going to win every game....but we will have a team that I believe is attractive to certain players. Most likely having a team that is around the 6-8 seeds. Also, Jacque Vaughn will be very helpful in us landing these potential prospects. Might be one of the most well spoken coaches I've seen.

This whole team is still a huge question mark. Nobody knows how good or how bad we are yet....two basketball games doesn't prove this. I personally believe we are much better than a lot of people think. Mo Harkless hasn't even stepped on the court yet....he is supposedly the player with the most upside on this team. A lot of these players we have I think will start to become increasingly more valuable as the season goes and they continue to prove themselves. Possible trade assets.