Sign in to follow this  
jec

Where's the Excitement?

And exactly what has that accomplished?? They still suck. The Wizards, and Bobcats have had high first round picks for how many years in a row? They still suck. Just because you get high draft picks doesnt guarantee success. I mean what is the point of getting high draft picks if they end up leaving after a few years?? You get rid of Hedo's contract, and a couple other mediocre players, use Harrington and another player to trade for a dynamic 2 or 3. This team has a bunch of guys that if developed the right way can be good players. Like I said in previous post, the next couple years are Miami and OKC's to lose. Stay young develop and eventually bring in one or two star caliber players.

I totally agree with you. High draft picks don't guarantee you anything. Plus...a lot of those high draft picks don't hit their primes or become truly relevant till after their rookie contracts are over. Who's to say a guy will stick around after his rookie contract is up?

Also, just because you are not in the bottom of the standings doesn't mean you can't get good draft picks. Remember when Detroit had the 2nd pick for Darko Milicic? I don't think they were too bad the year before. We should not be rooting for this team to tank...and they should not be trying to tank. You never know how many diamonds in the rough we have right now.

Gotta root to win...and not get down when our young team loses. If we make the playoffs..awesome! That's something we can build on. If we miss the playoffs...great. We'll have some young guys that will have gotten some quality experience along with hopefully a good draft pick.

Just can't leave it all up to the draft.

Nicholson and Harkless are both later picks by playoff teams and also both projected to be solid players. You have to be really lucky to get a superstar no matter what the draft class.

No matter what happens, I think we have some brains in our front office the likes of which have been missing for a long time. I think some smart picks will be coming, and will be a surprise on the league. We also can't rule out the possibility of trading up in the draft.

Nicholson and Harkless are both later picks by playoff teams and also both projected to be solid players. You have to be really lucky to get a superstar no matter what the draft class.

No matter what happens, I think we have some brains in our front office the likes of which have been missing for a long time. I think some smart picks will be coming, and will be a surprise on the league. We also can't rule out the possibility of trading up in the draft.

Harkless will boom or bust. Not really a middle road with him. A lot of people believe his talent was up there with the top. Just about him reaching it.

The excitement is in the effort. Excitement is in having fun at the games everynight. Excitement is upsetting a team with superstars. Excitement is seeing our unselfish team actually pass the ball to another player that might even pass it back. Excitement is seeing the anger of the opponent when they understand that we are not going to lay down.

All this talk about tanking is unnecessary, and anything but exciting. I expect every player in every game to do everything possible to win. Better talent AND effort might beat us, but we should not be beaten by talent alone. Make them work up a serious sweat.

I expect our inexperienced players to make mistakes, and sometimes look ill-able to win. But it should be a benching act if they ever show less than maximum effort.

And I don't see any reason to expect anything else. If a 'ship is the only goal, then every year is a failure for 29 teams. Our title contender last year was blasted in the first round. Doesn't matter. No matter what happened short of a 'ship would have dissappointed a lot of people.

So I, as a paying Season Ticket holder for many years, can say that I am looking forward to an exciting season, with a team that exceeds expectations. To a hungry team that I can be proud of, because they gave all they have. To me, that is excitement. And if this rag tag bunch makes the playoffs because of their efforts, then screw the lottery draft. We may not need it to do our return to competitiveness.

That is what I have to say about that.

Also, just because you are not in the bottom of the standings doesn't mean you can't get good draft picks. Remember when Detroit had the 2nd pick for Darko Milicic? I don't think they were too bad the year before.

Actually Detroit got swept in NBA Eastern Conference Finals the season before I believe and they only had that pick from a trade with Memphis. But I'm with you, I'll still root for the team to win.

Actually Detroit got swept in NBA Eastern Conference Finals the season before I believe and they only had that pick from a trade with Memphis. But I'm with you, I'll still root for the team to win.

That's a strawman. No one WANTs the team to lose. What they're saying is that if your option is "Win enough to be an 8 seed" or lose and get high picks, you always take the latter option.

Why does it have to be either the draft or through FA? We can do both.

Suck for a bit, draft as many prospects as we can, but work the math so that we can sign 2 Max FA's during a given off-season. We keep the rookies that are actually somewhat good and surround our max FA's with them, creating a balanced overall team.

Done and done.

Harkless will boom or bust. Not really a middle road with him. A lot of people believe his talent was up there with the top. Just about him reaching it.

There's a few that believed had he stayed another year, he would've been a top 5 pick in this coming draft.

There's a few that believed had he stayed another year, he would've been a top 5 pick in this coming draft.

All he needed to do was develop a jumper. 6'8, can shoot the basketball, play the post, and the defense he already brings? Easily up there with Shabazz and Noel.

Moe is wildly talented. He needs some refinement and he's going to be absolutely lethal.

That's a strawman. No one WANTs the team to lose. What they're saying is that if your option is "Win enough to be an 8 seed" or lose and get high picks, you always take the latter option.

Oh I see, I just read the last page. Although I just want them to win more than the Bobcats because I bet my mate $100 they will.