barnettej

2012 Orlando Magic Regular Season Thread

Mccollum is legit

You're big on college basketball, how high would you say his ceiling is? That's my thing with taking seniors. Usually they're much closer to their max potential as opposed to a sophomore or freshman so unless they're hands down one of the best players in the nation, I'd be a little apprehensive.

Just watched a video on him and he kinda reminds me of Eric Gordon. Guy has pretty good fundamentals and is definitely a pure scorer.

For those who were like me and didn't have a clue who this guy was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkmaFY7WUs

and really he's about the only one. I think this 2013 draft class will have a very weak Sr. showing. Plumlee & Wolters are bleh and really no other seniors stand out and definitely no "dominate" guys.

I really don't watch college ball, but given how bad the Magic are going to be, I might start watching (especially since I work at UW, which has produced a few good pros in the last couple years). Any sleepers out there? Not necessarily guys that are dominant, but role-guys who could fill gaps until we get "Guy, The"?

I really don't watch college ball, but given how bad the Magic are going to be, I might start watching (especially since I work at UW, which has produced a few good pros in the last couple years). Any sleepers out there? Not necessarily guys that are dominant, but role-guys who could fill gaps until we get "Guy, The"?

I like Otto Porter, Glenn Robinson, Richard Howell, C.J. McCollum, Steven Adams, Adonis Thomas & LeBryan Nash. These are all guys that I think could contribute on the next level right now. Howell and Adams might need some honing but overall, these are the guys that, as of now, I will be watching.

• Upvote 1

You're big on college basketball, how high would you say his ceiling is? That's my thing with taking seniors. Usually they're much closer to their max potential as opposed to a sophomore or freshman so unless they're hands down one of the best players in the nation, I'd be a little apprehensive.

Just watched a video on him and he kinda reminds me of Eric Gordon. Guy has pretty good fundamentals and is definitely a pure scorer.

For those who were like me and didn't have a clue who this guy was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkmaFY7WUs

I like his game. He reminds me of Eric Maynor a little bit.

But the guy that I really like is Archie Goodwin. I think he could be the best player from this class when it's all said and done. The kid has star potential.

Patric Young (poor man's Serge Ibaka) is another guy I like from this class. If Hennigan were to get another first round pick for this upcoming draft, then I think Young should be a guy they target.

I'd be happy if they were to come out of this draft with Shabazz/Goodwin and Young.

I think the toughest thing to judge about college prospects is how they'll fare against NBA competition. I know nothing about CJ McCollum, but based on that highlight reel I have no idea how his game would translate at the next level. I'm sure teams like Lafayette, American, and Navy have great programs but they aren't exactly churning NBA players every draft. Based solely on that highlight reel and taking the above into consideration, he looks like he could replace Redick's production off the bench.

He certainly fits the model of what Hennigan is looking for i.e. high character (link)

I'll let you jump on the Gator bandwagon if you'd like. Should be another nice season for us.

I'm sure teams like Lafayette, American, and Navy have great programs but they aren't exactly churning NBA players every draft.

Although it was only one game, McCollum did drop 30 points 6 rebounds and 6 assists on Duke in the NCAA tournament.

Although it was only one game, McCollum did drop 30 points 6 rebounds and 6 assists on Duke in the NCAA tournament.

He also dropped 36 on a really good Baylor team the first game of this season.

I think we should try to get a PG in this draft because i think there are a few gems there.....Let's face it Nelson isn't getting any younger and he's already missing games so now might be the time to get a young prospect PG for him to groom so he can take over when Jameer starts that decline and becomes a bench player...Ish Smith to me has regressed and hasn't looked like a Starting Caliber PG and Moore isn't really a PG to begin with so we might need to focus on getting our PG of the future

Marcus Smart

C.J McCullom

Lorenzo Brown

Myck Kobongo

Those are all guys i'm watching throughout the season and are definitely guys we can grab with our picks.....Point Guard to me is more important than a Big in Today's NBA let's face it it's a guard's league nowadays so i think getting a PG prospect could end up paying dividends......The Past two Championship teams proved that you don't have to have a dominant Center to win it all but you have to have at LEAST a half-way decent Point Guard....Hey it's just my opinion and other posters here might feel differently and think it is important to get a center but that's the beauty of it i guess because we'll have so many picks we can do it all really.....Me personally i like the idea of getting a "Core" of prospects that can grow and mature together especially if we get a prospect PG in this upcoming draft it'll look like.....

Nelson/2013 Point Guard

Afflalo/JJ

Harkless/Dequan

Nicholson/O'Quinn

Vucevic/O'Quinn

that's a stripped down version of the depth chart but what i'm saying for the most part is that we would have a "Core" of young prospects learning and growing together.....I like the talent spread out instead of creating useless logjams that comes out of picking prospects that play the same position but that's just me i guess.....

and really he's about the only one. I think this 2013 draft class will have a very weak Sr. showing. Plumlee & Wolters are bleh and really no other seniors stand out and definitely no "dominate" guys.

I think Plumlee could have a decent career as a borderline starting center but I get your point. Ideally you don't draft a fringe starter with a top 5 pick. I have to wonder if a lot of talented guys intentionally pass on their last couple of years of eligibility because they are concerned it will hurt their draft stock.