Sign in to follow this  
nCoolness

NBA Reportedly will start fining players for "Flopping"

ok here is the price tags on the Flopping fine. It pretty whopping. Surprisingly there will be suspensions.

Players will get a warning the first time, then be fined $5,000 for a second violation. The fines increase to $10,000 for a third offense, $15,000 for a fourth and $30,000 the fifth time. Six or more could lead to a suspension.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-sets-flopping-penalties-players-173108098--nba.html

I will wait until we actually see the rule in effect... and against a major market team and or star (CP3.Blake,Nash,Manu,Wade,LBJ,Melo,DWill,Pierce,Noah,etc)

...Man come to think of it..... this rule isnt going to do anything against all these money players.... it would hurt their bottom line, I mean real teams might actually have a chance and Stern doesnt want that as long as he can pump what is left out of the major market teams.

Unfortunately the player's union is filing a grievance and they are right. The NBA doesn't have the authority to issue those fines without running it by the association. I think they will end up making it a tech.

Unfortunately the player's union is filing a grievance and they are right. The NBA doesn't have the authority to issue those fines without running it by the association. I think they will end up making it a tech.

but its already final, thats the problem. The Board of Governor have agreed and made it official without the players' consent nor the players were told about this, so it going to be hard to change it.

Remember this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPHIT61FfU&feature=related

Just hope they don't name it after him.

Giving them a fine and nothing else is a half baked solution. Give them a fine, and give them a technical foul assessed after the fact. Let there be an in-game impact to their behavior (too many techs and you start missing games).

I mean, technically flopping could've been called as a tech the entire time. Techs can be assessed for unsportsmanlike conduct, flopping would fall under that. Techs can also be assessed for delay of game, flopping falls under that as well.

The problem with in game calls is that they would most likely need to be reviewed to differentiate between a full fledged flop, and exaggeration contact, and I wouldn't be in favor of slowing down the game to get the call right, even though I hate flopping. I like the idea of having it reviewed after the fact, I just wish they would have done more in terms of using the penalty to help dissuade the behavior.

The problem with in game calls is that they would most likely need to be reviewed to differentiate between a full fledged flop, and exaggeration contact, and I wouldn't be in favor of slowing down the game to get the call right, even though I hate flopping. I like the idea of having it reviewed after the fact, I just wish they would have done more in terms of using the penalty to help dissuade the behavior.

The fines system works well enough when it comes to complaining about officiating. There may be players that will be willing to take the gamble in certain instances but I think the flopping on every play will dramatically decrease.

The problem with doing anything in game is that the refs are missing the calls in the first place so you would have to review all of these contact plays. I don't want to slow up the game, I just want them to hammer these guys who fake contact when there is none. Hit them with a fine, then add a points system where after a threshold is exceeded they get a suspension.

I'm curious as to whether they will also go after the offensive flopper in addition to the defensive one. Lebron and Wade make a living off of this crap, I think Paul Pierce would lose half of his scoring average if they do go after offensive players.