Sign in to follow this  
nCoolness

NBA Reportedly will start fining players for "Flopping"

Do you think its a good idea for players to be fined for Flopping, even though that has been an issue for a while in the NBA?

In my opinion, this isn't what I had in mind. Better yet, international players like Manu Ginobili's career maybe ending quickly as I thought. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nba-reportedly-start-fining-players-flopping-013603249--nba.html

Discuss your thoughts about this.

ELIZABETH, N.J. -- The NBA is about to act in hopes of stopping the floppers.

Spokesman Tim Frank said Thursday the league is finalizing procedures to deal with flopping, the art of falling down when little or no contact was made in an effort to trick referees into calling a foul.

Frank said the competition committee met two weeks ago and discussed plans that would go in place this season. Commissioner David Stern believes too many players are deceiving referees by flopping and has been seeking a way to properly penalize them.

The procedures likely will involve a postgame review of the play by the league office, rather than an official calling an infraction during the game, Frank said.

Players likely would be fined if the league determined they flopped.

The proposed plan mirrors a "postgame analysis" option Stern discussed after the competition committee met in June. The league already retroactively reviews flagrant fouls to determine if they need to be upgraded or downgraded.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8433232/nba-finalizing-procedures-penalize-players-flopping

I'm glad the league took several years to come up with this super complicated solution to a very difficult problem. Jesus Christ, the people that run this league are just retarded. Fans have been complaining about this for years and it took Stern years to finally get off of his decrepit arse and propose a solution that he could have easily read on ANY basketball forum. Hell, he could have even see the strategy in action in soccer to see how well it works. I swear, Stern is currently the only old person on the planet that I would seriously consider punching in the face if I was given the opportunity.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and here's another fun thought: the league is now going to finally crack down on flopping when the player that probably has more defenders flop while defending him moves to Los Angeles. Awesome, I would hate to see a rule take effect that might actually help the franchise I root for. I'm sure the next step will be to finally crack down on deliberate fouls committed around the head and neck area on post players. Maybe Stern will decide that perimeter players jumping into big men shouldn't be an automatic foul on the defender. Yay!

• Upvote 2

This is 15 or even more years long overdue. I wouldn't be the least surprised if this was put in place to help the only four teams in the NBA to win games it just adds to obvious suspicions that I just consider facts. I guess you have to keep those shareholders happy. Not the fans.

Are we really going to turn this into a conspiracy theory too?

Really?

I don't think its a conspiracy. I do think that it really sucks that the league finally decided to do something about flopping only after Dwight moved to LA.

• Upvote 2

I'm glad the league took several years to come up with this super complicated solution to a very difficult problem. Jesus Christ, the people that run this league are just retarded. Fans have been complaining about this for years and it took Stern years to finally get off of his decrepit arse and propose a solution that he could have easily read on ANY basketball forum. Hell, he could have even see the strategy in action in soccer to see how well it works. I swear, Stern is currently the only old person on the planet that I would seriously consider punching in the face if I was given the opportunity.

What irks me is that they've talked about this for years now, dating back to the 08-09 season. They've literally taken 4 years to follow through on a basic claim for a basic investigation.

What irks me is that they've talked about this for years now, dating back to the 08-09 season. They've literally taken 4 years to follow through on a basic claim for a basic investigation.

That's what I was thinking. We hear this every season, it seems.

There's always the possibility that flops will be penalized heavily for the first month and then we'll go right back to normal soon after; one of those "officiating fads" , if you will.

Blame the NBA Board of Governors and Stern for that one.

I'm glad that the league is finally doing something against flopping, however, I think that the approach is slightly flawed. In my opinion it would be best to review "suspicious" plays in-game and then "punish" the flopper/the flopper's team. I get that this might result in extended breaks and I'm really ok with fining floppers to teach them a lesson. But the small problem that I see is this: If the flopper's team wins by say one or two points and he gets fined after the game it won't help the team that just lost. So I think that free throws or technical foul calls would be the best way to go.

• Upvote 1