DanzigMagic

Disappointing season? WHY? Exciting times ahead!

I've seen way too many members saying just how disapointing this season will be and I completely disagree. For the first time in a very long time, we have zero expectations going into the season.

We are not going to make the playoffs. - Why worry? If we win 10 games, Yay! We get a high draft pick. If something magically and we DID make it to the playoffs then once again Yay! That means that the core we have has came together much faster than we hoped and SHOULD only get better for next season.

To me the only disapointments this year would to find that Hennigan gets all Otis on us and makes some stupid trade at the deadline. (Which I don't see happening)

OR

Vaugn turns out to be a total dud of a coach and only plays 7 players and never lets the rookies get ample playing time to develop.

I'm actually more pumped to watch about this season than last year. No "Superstar" distractions. No expectations. Now is the time to really root for this team. Now is the time for the real Magic fans to proudly cheer this young team instead of hoping an egotistical falling star blesses us with his 2 faced empty promises.

Go Magic!

• Upvote 1

I'm cool with a new thread with a more positive bend to it. If not a lot of people comment on it, it'll drop away in a day or two and get pushed off. Given that our sole all star is gone and we aren't expected to threaten for anything, a lot of the fairweather fans are gone and even a lot of us regulars aren't posting as much.

The megathread definitely had its place during the last couple years of Dwight-drama when people were all starting new threads about the exact same story from ESPN. Now? I don't think being overwhelmed by new posts and new posters will be a problem for at least a few years.

Back to the original topic, yeah: it's kind of nice to have a clean slate going into the next season. I don't know a lot about our players, we have a new coach with zero HC experience. It could be brilliant, we could be horrible. Either way, it should be entertaining and there's no way anyone could be disappointed with the season no matter how many games we win.

Long time magic fans as I am, will remember the days of the 19 win season, the first round exits, our weird and sincerely disappointing fear of the Pistons, etc, etc. After tasting wining, and being so close to the trophy, I can understand why some would feel like next season will be crap...

And it possibly will be, and the one after too...But its the cycle of the business I guess. Only a few teams can remain relevant forever. I think we are on the verge of being like that. Since our GM seems to be solid and will bring new and exciting things to Orlando.

We can either wait, hold on tight and enjoy the ride.....or be big cry babies and follow Dwight to where ever he might go next. I for one have never been a fan of a player(except Michael Jordan, I stopped following the Bulls after he left for good) I'll always be a fan of my team. Good or Bad, the Magic is my team.

Will it be rough? maybe, but not having huge expectations can bring us an exciting season. So be it. Our GM is not done. I expect a few more moves this season. Nothing major, but tweaks, as we prepare for a better future....Plus Durant and his SuperThundernics have given me hope that thru drafting and smart moves the NBA is still a fun game to watch......If only we could get rid of the Miamis and Lakers types it be an excellent league.

• Upvote 1

forum note:

A lot of the deleting/locking of threads and encouraging posts in a few large threads are preventative measures that stop 40 new topics from being created every day and quality discussions being pushed out of view. Three or four years ago it was a mess and we'd have an entire front page full of nonsense after any loss. We don't want that to happen again and our constant reinforcement of this message has been ingrained into all the longtime members that creation of new threads that could easily be a part of other threads is unacceptable (hence the usual ibtl responses).

That being said, this is a time of the year that is a annual downtime that runs through mid september. We usually don't enforce posting rules a strict as we usually do during this time.

If only we could get rid of the Miamis and Lakers types it be an excellent league.

Isn't is much more fun to root for your team to beat these evil super villian teams? Remember the game against the Lakers when Nick Anderson did the funky chicken mocking Shaq after nailing a shot? You knew we were the underdog and moments like those make memories that last and build that foundation of team pride.

I'm hoping we see the return of some Heart (can anyone deny the heart of Jameer, JJ or BBD?) and Hustle (rookies start your engines!).

Isn't is much more fun to root for your team to beat these evil super villian teams? Remember the game against the Lakers when Nick Anderson did the funky chicken mocking Shaq after nailing a shot? You knew we were the underdog and moments like those make memories that last and build that foundation of team pride.

I'm hoping we see the return of some Heart (can anyone deny the heart of Jameer, JJ or BBD?) and Hustle (rookies start your engines!).

lol this, and im excited about what Harkless and Nicholson will bring to the team and to watch them develop. And I understand everyone believing were tanking but i'd love to see if this squad can make a run at the 8th seed

I'm excited for the season. Losing doesn't feel as bad when expectations are low. It is when your expectations are high and you fall flat on your face when it hurts (see: 2010 ECF, most disappointing moment in recent Magic history imo).

I expect us to lose 50+ games, but when the expectations are low and you just enjoy watching what you have it isn't that bad. There is no real pressure to win every night anymore. Plus, when you do pull off a big upset against a team you shouldn't beat, it feels that much better.

I'm excited for the season. Losing doesn't feel as bad when expectations are low. It is when your expectations are high and you fall flat on your face when it hurts (see: 2010 ECF, most disappointing moment in recent Magic history imo).

I expect us to lose 50+ games, but when the expectations are low and you just enjoy watching what you have it isn't that bad. There is no real pressure to win every night anymore. Plus, when you do pull off a big upset against a team you shouldn't beat, it feels that much better.

Those back to back home losses against the Celtics hit me hard

• Upvote 1

I say we bring back T-Mac and go 21-61. Just bring everything full circle. I am definitely ready to see what we have. I will not care as much about each game as I have the last few years before the previous season.

Believe.

• Upvote 1

Those back to back home losses against the Celtics hit me hard

What really stung was how we were teased with a comeback. After winning two games being down 3-0, I really thought we were about to make history and become the first team in NBA history to overcome 3-0 in the playoffs. Then Nate Robinson in Game 6 happened...

• Upvote 1

What really stung was how we were teased with a comeback. After winning two games being down 3-0, I really thought we were about to make history and become the first team in NBA history to overcome 3-0 in the playoffs. Then Nate Robinson in Game 6 happened...

The worst was Matt Barnes falling every time for Paul Pierce's pump fakes.

VC missing the FTs

The flagrant fouls on Dwight that KG got away with...

And yes, Nate Robinson pulling a prime Reggie Miller performance