Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official NFL 2013 Season Thread

We dominated the packers.

Alex Smith looking better than ever, with added help at WR. It seems the idea might be to rest Gore to prevent his usual decline towards the end of the season.

D was great until the final period. Bowman, Rogers, Goldson, Brown and Culliver are definitely intimidating.

The Bucs allowed only 10 rushing yards yesterday.

10. This was the same team that last year gave up more rushing yards then any other team in the NFL. And they held Cam Netwon and the Panthers to 10.

Boss. Oh and Gerald McCoy looked freaking Beastly all game.

The Bucs allowed only 10 rushing yards yesterday.

10. This was the same team that last year gave up more rushing yards then any other team in the NFL. And they held Cam Netwon and the Panthers to 10.

Boss. Oh and Gerald McCoy looked freaking Beastly all game.

Defense was downright scary yesterday. Just goes to show how poorly the team was coached last year and how much talent the defense has, it jsut wasn't properly utilized under Raheem. Even Quiny Black looked very good and that says a lot. The emphasis on fundamentals this offseason has paid off, to no one's surprise.

Offense looked decent. Some drops by receivers here and there but outside of that I was impressed, Schiano's playing conservative on that side of the ball and I'm totally fine with it. Pound the rock and grind the clock. Freeman wasn't asked to do a whole lot, which is probably the right move for now. Guy needs to get his confidence back. Doug Martin looks like the real deal and the attention on Vincent Jackson opened things up for Mike Williams early on.

I've never doubted McCoy. He's always been very disruptive, he just can't stay healthy. People that thought he was a bust are ridiculous.

We'll see how they do next week against an offense that spreads the field and has more than one notable receiver. Steve Smith tore up Eric Wright so I have a little concern there.

Defense was downright scary yesterday. Just goes to show how poorly the team was coached last year and how much talent the defense has, it jsut wasn't properly utilized under Raheem. Even Quiny Black looked very good and that says a lot. The emphasis on fundamentals this offseason has paid off, to no one's surprise.

Offense looked decent. Some drops by receivers here and there but outside of that I was impressed, Schiano's playing conservative on that side of the ball and I'm totally fine with it. Pound the rock and grind the clock. Freeman wasn't asked to do a whole lot, which is probably the right move for now. Guy needs to get his confidence back. Doug Martin looks like the real deal and the attention on Vincent Jackson opened things up for Mike Williams early on.

I've never doubted McCoy. He's always been very disruptive, he just can't stay healthy. People that thought he was a bust are ridiculous.

We'll see how they do next week against an offense that spreads the field and has more than one notable receiver. Steve Smith tore up Eric Wright so I have a little concern there.

Will see when they take on a team with actual experience, depth and talent in the Giants next week. Worse is the Giants are going to be scary pissed after the Cowboys this last week, and also have an extra 3 days to prepare, and it will be their opening home game of the season.

The pass rush will be much more important, because unlike Cam, Eli will not be able to escape the pressure (if it wasn't for Cam's speed McCoy could have had 3 sacks yesterday). However the Giants are a hell of a lot more efficient then the Panthers and have a much better ground game.

16 points won't do it next week, and the Bucs will need to punch it into the end zone and not settle for Field Goals against the Giants. I want to see a bit more of Blount and a lot more of Freeman working in the air.

As for Steve Smith, well hes been embarrassing Buc DB's for nearly a decade now.

Will see when they take on a team with actual experience, depth and talent in the Giants next week. Worse is the Giants are going to be scary pissed after the Cowboys this last week, and also have an extra 3 days to prepare, and it will be their opening home game of the season.

The pass rush will be much more important, because unlike Cam, Eli will not be able to escape the pressure (if it wasn't for Cam's speed McCoy could have had 3 sacks yesterday). However the Giants are a hell of a lot more efficient then the Panthers and have a much better ground game.

16 points won't do it next week, and the Bucs will need to punch it into the end zone and not settle for Field Goals against the Giants. I want to see a bit more of Blount and a lot more of Freeman working in the air.

As for Steve Smith, well hes been embarrassing Buc DB's for nearly a decade now.

Exactly. The Panthers don't run a true pro offense, they've just adapted to fit around Newton's strengths and weaknesses. NYG packs a punch and has a very efficient offense. I'm interested to see how the Bucs' DL does against a much much better OL in New York. As you said, if the Bucs can pressure Eli, that bodes well for Tampa.

Agreed on the points, but again, Schiano ran a very vanilla offensive game. I don't think Freeman took more than 2 shots downfield, if that. They'll have to open it up some next week to have a shot. My other concern next week will be the OL protecting Freeman against probably the best DL in the game. Donald Penn nor Jeremy Trueblood can stop Jason Pierre-Paul, and he's only one of the great defensive linemen they have. I think Davin Joseph's absence will really be felt next game.

If Steve Smith can shred Wright, I have no doubt Victor Cruz can/will do the same.

I didn't watch Bucs game yesterday (as everyone knows, I am a Niners die hard). But according to highlights and your comments, it looks like you guys might as well be following the 2011 Harbaugh blueprint.

How is that? We were coming of 2 miserable seasons under Singletary, a fiery motivator with absolutely no idea on X's and O's whatsoever. You know who looked JUST like him? Your own Raheem Morris, a short tempered guy in his first experience thinking everything was done with just personality, kicking and screaming and no strategy at all.

That team already had Willis, V. Davis, Gore, a then-horrible Alex, Crabtree, Justin Smith and Goldson.He left, Harbaugh came. Solid picks, added veteran help from FA (Rogers) and were one ever lasting heart breaking fumble away from SB.

Your team already had a very talented Freeman and a decent RB/WR tandem. Schiano comes, add Nicks and V Jax, solid picks, and plays conservative. Avoids TO's and is stunning against the run.

I watched a couple of TB's games last season, and it looked like the potential was certainly there. Same thing happened with us. The material was there. What was missing was richt coaching and adapt it through a conservative playbook, trying to minimize the mistakes and pound the ball.

I didn't watch Bucs game yesterday (as everyone knows, I am a Niners die hard). But according to highlights and your comments, it looks like you guys might as well be following the 2011 Harbaugh blueprint.

How is that? We were coming of 2 miserable seasons under Singletary, a fiery motivator with absolutely no idea on X's and O's whatsoever. You know who looked JUST like him? Your own Raheem Morris, a short tempered guy in his first experience thinking everything was done with just personality, kicking and screaming and no strategy at all.

That team already had Willis, V. Davis, Gore, a then-horrible Alex, Crabtree, Justin Smith and Goldson.He left, Harbaugh came. Solid picks, added veteran help from FA (Rogers) and were one ever lasting heart breaking fumble away from SB.

Your team already had a very talented Freeman and a decent RB/WR tandem. Schiano comes, add Nicks and V Jax, solid picks, and plays conservative. Avoids TO's and is stunning against the run.

I watched a couple of TB's games last season, and it looked like the potential was certainly there. Same thing happened with us. The material was there. What was missing was richt coaching and adapt it through a conservative playbook, trying to minimize the mistakes and pound the ball.

Ya know, I have kinda been making the SF comparison in terms of schematics and philosophy but only from an on-field perspective. I can definitely see where you're coming from. I don't think Tampa has near the primed talent the 49ers have (Tampa's defensive is probably a little faster, but not nearly as well rounded), but the mindset is very similar. It's just old school football- run the ball, control the clock, and play tough, physical defense. I absolutely love that mentality. Outside of the AFC North, few teams abide by that philosophy, San Francisco being one of them and I respect the hell out of them for doing that, especially since almost all other teams have become offensive minded.

I honestly think Raheem was put in a very very tough spot. Zero head coaching experience and the guy went from DB coach, to defensive coordinator, to head coach in a matter of weeks. I just don't think he was ready for the ultimate job yet. Eventually I think he'll be a fine coach, but it was just very premature for him to be hired as a head coach.

I saw parts of the Bucs and panther game. That defense was too good for the panthers, but the question is: is it good enough to deal with Giants strong offense? We shall find out next sunday.

but I saw the Jaguars vs Vikings game, that was a really good game to start the season. Also with the rule change in OT where a team that scored a touchdown or a field goal ends the game is gone, so that was cool.

My man. Glad to see him back, Peyton and Vick are my favourite QB's to watch. RG3 looked pretty good against the Saints too

I hate Wash but loved watching them hand it to NO. RG3 looked like the real deal and their RB Morris looked good too. I expect to see alot out of those 2 this year.