Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Dark Knight Rises

So Nolan's trilogy is finally over. Went to it last night and I have to say I came away not impressed, but pleased. Rises in no way equals TDK, but anyone who was expecting it too is out of their minds. TDK was not only one of the best superhero movies of all time, it was also one of the best modern films ever. The fact that Rises isn't completely overshadowed by that and comes out to stand on it's own as a film is an accomplishment on itself.

It has a few negatives. The first 30-45 minutes of the movie really kinda drag on as Bruce has to get himself back in the game. They borrowed heavily from the The Dark Knight Returns comic book storyline here, showing an older Wayne who's body has nearly given out from all the punishment he put it through.The following 30 minutes move almost a tad to fast, showing Bane's usurping of Gotham over a period of a few weeks on fast forward was kind of jarring. These were both more stylistic choices and although I understand it, I feel the pacing really threw off the flow of the first half of the movie. Nolan has always normally had a mastery of pacing with this trilogy, so it was surprising to say the least.

But when the city is finally fully taken over by Bane and his minions, the movie really takes off. Bruce's recovery in the prison and all the tie-in's to the first movie was really well done. And when Batman returns to take back his city, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Add in the worst kept plot twist secret ever that Miranda Tate was Talia Al Ghul, Bruce fulfilling Alfred's wish to go and live his life, and Nolan's fun little shout out to the fans with Gordon-Leavitt's John Blake as Robin all left me with a very pleased happily ever after feeling.

Speaking of the characters, it's here really that Rises sets itself apart from TDK. In TDK there was really one shining star in Heath Ledger's Joker. Aaron Eckhart was alright as Two Face, Oldman's Jim Gordon was as expected, I really think that Nolan made a big mistake in switching Holmes with Gyllenhall for the role of Rachel Dawes, and Batman was his normal broody self.

This time around though each actor really puts on a show. Bale does his best job yet, really selling me on a beat up Wayne who really just want's it all to end, to a man who will lay everything on the line for his city. Caine as Alfred was his usual incredible self albeit he takes a bit of a back seat this movie. Oldman's Gordon and Freeman's fox step in more to back up Batman and they both to me were great. The big stars though were Bane and Catwoman.

Although he didn't give me chills the way that Ledger's Joker did, Tom Hardy's Bane was about as visceral and physical of a bad guy presence I have seen in a while. I'm still not sure wither I loved or hated what they did with his voice (although it's no where nearly as bad as the cough drop needing Batman, I still wonder why they added that in, he sounded fine in the Batman Begins) but it does provide some real gravity when ever he starts to speak.

Anne Hathaway was my big favorite though. The character that had the most questions about her, and Hathaway's take on Selina Kyle just about knocked it out of the park. My one minor quip was her long hair, but that is just a minor crack in the shell of a character that has a very solid core. She pulls of being in Nolan's gritty and realistic Batman universe while at the same time bringing just enough of the comic book anti-hero in as well.

My biggest issue has to come from the character of Miranda Tate, or should I say Talia Al Ghul. Now Marion Cotillard did a fine job acting the part. She really was great pulling off the slightly insane, menacing vibe you expect from the leader of the League of Shadows. But my issue is more to do with the way they wrote the character. Talia may have had her skirmishes with Batman, but she never outright hated him and wanted his death. She always walked a fine line between seeing him as a rival that needed to be defeated, to the love of her life that she had to have. I never once in the whole movie got the feeling from her that she loved Bruce. Nolan clearly favored Hathaway's Catwoman in this regard.

All in all though, the movie was fantastic, and a worthy ending to what so far has been the best superhero trilogy ever, and one of the best movie trilogies ever. What did you guys think?

• Upvote 1

This movie was amazing, the only thing keeping it from being better than TDK, was Heath Ledger.

I also love how everyone's theories about the film ended up being true lol.

My thoughts on the ending. SPOILER WARNING, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM

It was done perfectly to wrap up this Batman/Bruce Wayne. Batman died, but Bruce Wayne didn't. Batman was nothing but a symbol to motivate Gotham, and Bruce accomplished that goal. Everyone believes Batman died in the blast, but Bruce was able to get out and start a new life without Batman, finally moving on to possibly start a family. Though I doubt he could really settle down with Selina Kyle. Also, JGL's character now appears to be taking over for Bruce to take on crime in Gotham. Whether it is as Robin like his name suggested, a new Batman or even Nightwing. Great way to put a bow on this trilogy.

Just got back, here are some random, not well thought out thoughts:

The ending was fantastic. A great third act.

First act was too slow.

I loved the prison sequence.

I knew that was Robin throughout the whole film, pretty much.

I'm glad they ended with the villain they began the trilogy with.

The ending was among the most satisfying to any series of films I can remember.

No, Ryan, the best quote was "So that's how that feels".

I'm probably seeing it again next week so I imagine by then I'll be able to really think about it and digest it.

I'm one of the weird ones that has Begins above TDK (doesn't mean I didn't absolutely love TDK, I did). I personally feel that Heath Ledger's performance was a little overrated because he died (overrated doesn't mean it wasn't incredible, it was).

I have to say though, I liked TDKR even better than Begins. I'm gonna have to see it again to be sure of that, but I'm pretty sure I like it the best of the three.

Now, on to the good stuff. Nolan said he wouldn't do another "Batman" movie. Is there a loophole here that he would do a "Nightwing" movie with JGL? Kind of like the Batman equivalent of The Bourn Legacy?

This for me is by far the greatest trilogy ever.

The new Star Wars trilogy need not be mentioned, as the first two movies deserve a 0% each on RT (ROTS was okay). I'll get to the real SW trilogy in a second.

We have the Spider-Man trilogy, which no longer exists thanks to the actually faithful to the comic TASM.

Indiana Jones, while great, no longer a trilogy thanks to the fridge hopping, Shia starring, alien skull POS Lucas made (otherwise this trilogy would be a contender).

The Lord of The Rings trilogy was amazing, but IMO does not compare to Nolan's Batman saga. Although off the top of my head it's one of the two real contenders, so props for that.

Now I'm coming back to the original Star Wars trilogy. I love it as much as the next guy (well, as much as the next guy that is sexually active). I watched it over again about a year ago and was asking myself why did I love this so much? The dialogue is so bad it's good. Which is fine when I'm watching a SyFy original movie drunk off my ass, but this is supposed to be *****ing Star Wars! Two things put this trilogy above LOTR but under Batman. First, Star Wars was so ahead of its time it's unbelievable, you have to have mad respect for that. The second thing, Randall's epic speech on why LOTR sucked in Clerks 2.

There's other trilogies that I thought of but aren't really trilogies. One of which being Bourne, since a fourth is coming out and likely a fifth with Matt Damon back in action. Then there's Iron Man, which will have three movies of its own but really when you throw in two Avengers movies can you really call Iron Man a true trilogy?

So for me, and really it's not even close, but Nolan's Batman is the greatest trilogy in the history of American Cinema.

This for me is by far the greatest trilogy ever.

The new Star Wars trilogy need not be mentioned, as the first two movies deserve a 0% each on RT (ROTS was okay). I'll get to the real SW trilogy in a second.

We have the Spider-Man trilogy, which no longer exists thanks to the actually faithful to the comic TASM.

Indiana Jones, while great, no longer a trilogy thanks to the fridge hopping, Shia starring, alien skull POS Lucas made (otherwise this trilogy would be a contender).

The Lord of The Rings trilogy was amazing, but IMO does not compare to Nolan's Batman saga. Although off the top of my head it's one of the two real contenders, so props for that.

Now I'm coming back to the original Star Wars trilogy. I love it as much as the next guy (well, as much as the next guy that is sexually active). I watched it over again about a year ago and was asking myself why did I love this so much? The dialogue is so bad it's good. Which is fine when I'm watching a SyFy original movie drunk off my ass, but this is supposed to be *****ing Star Wars! Two things put this trilogy above LOTR but under Batman. First, Star Wars was so ahead of its time it's unbelievable, you have to have mad respect for that. The second thing, Randall's epic speech on why LOTR sucked in Clerks 2.

There's other trilogies that I thought of but aren't really trilogies. One of which being Bourne, since a fourth is coming out and likely a fifth with Matt Damon back in action. Then there's Iron Man, which will have three movies of its own but really when you throw in two Avengers movies can you really call Iron Man a true trilogy?

So for me, and really it's not even close, but Nolan's Batman is the greatest trilogy in the history of American Cinema.

I was told that the next batman will likely feature Selena Kyle's friend(the blonde chick) as Harley Quin. I could totally see that now.

• Upvote 1

This is my personal favorite movie trilogy, but I'm biased as a Batman fan.

I could maybe see something with a JGL Nightwing, but I doubt Nolan would direct. Maybe if he liked the idea, he would produce, but I think Nolan is done with this Batman universe. We'll get a new take on Batman from Hollywood once the JLA movie makes its way into theatre in 2014 or 2015.