Sign in to follow this  
Zara

Governors Expand Instant Replay, Approve Jersey Advertisements

The Board of Governors on Thursday voted to expand the use of instant replay beginning this season and indicated that advertisements on jerseys, a revolutionary idea for the league, will be coming as soon as 2013-14.

The board – an owner from all 30 teams or someone on their behalf – approved replays on three fronts, without vote totals being released:

•Referees will call “Flagrant” on the court and immediately use the courtside television screen to determine whether the foul was Flagrant 1, Flagrant 2 or actually a common foul. Previously, any changes were made following a review by the league office at least a day later.

•Referees will use replays in the final two minutes of overtime and all overtime to verify block/charge fouls that involve whether a player is in the restricted area.

•Referees will use replays in the final two minutes of regulation and all overtime to review goaltending calls. Non-calls will not be reviewed because that would require stopping play.

While no vote was taken on putting advertisements on jerseys for the first time, the discussion in the ballroom inside the Encore hotel on the Strip showed a strong preference to move forward, deputy commissioner Adam Silver said. The final decision will likely come in an e-mail vote in September and be implemented for 2013-14, giving teams the chance to line up sponsors and uniform makers the time to add the patch of 2 ½ inches-by-2 ½ inches just above the heart.

NBA.com link

Extended replays I approve (had that rule been routinely in effect at the time, perhaps Gasol's touching the rim vis-à-vis CLee would have been called-to-be-reviewed...), but advertisements on jerseys (however 'small' they start off to be) is one small step / one giant leap into the melting pot.

Seeing the boxing ring being (slowly, but literaly) prostituted by logos in the 80s was hard enough...

NBA.com link

Extended replays I approve (had that rule been routinely in effect at the time, perhaps Gasol's touching the rim vis-à-vis CLee would have been called-to-be-reviewed...), but advertisements on jerseys (however 'small' they start off to be) is one small step / one giant leap into the melting pot.

Seeing the boxing ring being (slowly, but literaly) prostituted by logos in the 80s was hard enough...

Great. In about 10 years we're going to look like Nascar cars. LOL, can you picture BBD wearing the Hooters logo across his chest?

As a soccer fan, I am used to seeing advertisement on jerseys. Those contracts usually give the team a lot of money.

However the league should limit it to just 1. The example above is just too ugly and distracting.

I am against all advertisements on jerseys. You do not see advertisements on suits do you? It's just another aspect which is slowly ruining the game.

I am against all advertisements on jerseys. You do not see advertisements on suits do you? It's just another aspect which is slowly ruining the game.

I don't see how advertisements on jerseys have affected soccer and this has been going on for many years now. If anything the team has more money to spend on players

I don't see how advertisements on jerseys have affected soccer and this has been going on for many years now. If anything the team has more money to spend on players

Soccer doesn't have the commercial breaks that the NBA has though. To me it's just kind of tacky, and a shameless money grab.

Meanwhile, I see they didn't actually do anything to address flopping.

• Upvote 1

Soccer doesn't have the commercial breaks that the NBA has though. To me it's just kind of tacky, and a shameless money grab.

This.

I think jersey-ads are an awful idea. Also, if anything, seeing some brand's ugly logo ruining my favorite team's jersey will rather make a bad impression on me than make me want to support that brand's products...

Of course not. Why would they want to make the product on the court more authentic and just plain better?