Sign in to follow this  
nbr

Jameer

I liked Jameer's attitude in general, and he could be a good thing while rebuilding, provide some veteran leadership.

That said...

His game was never spectacular, and he is declining now. His defense was always very poor. His offense is streaky, sometimes he is unstoppable, others filled with mind numbing turnovers. All in all, he is a good (not great) offensive player, and a very bad defensive player.

I still think we should have gone for Dragic while we had a chance.

This is what Simmons said:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8182261/game-nba-thrones-part-i

One of the show's best sneaky-funny exchanges goes to the sneakiest-funniest subplot of this month — Orlando insisting on shedding many of its "bad" contracts (Glen Davis, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, etc.) in any Dwight Howard deal, and then, even as they're doing this, they extend Jameer Nelson with a three-year, $19.7 million contract that's just as "bad" as any of those other contracts. But hey, anytime you can overpay a 30-year-old point guard who can't defend anyone, gives you 12 and 6 every night, makes 42 percent of his shots and hasn't played at a high level in three years even as you're desperately trying to create cap room with a megadeal at the same time, I guess you have to do it.

You could be right, but I am not so sure. He would have never would have won a ring in Cleveland, that much can be said. And this Heat team was basically loaded with excellent roll players and a much improved pg. His costars might not have had great finals, but they did not vanish under pressure either (wade maybe for a little while here or there). I will say he was much more clutch this year than in years past.

Uh... not so sure he wouldn't have gotten one in Cleveland. They were always in the conversation as one of the top contenders, and many pegged them to get to the finals every year. I remember being the most worried about them than any team in the playoffs. And remember, his last two years in Cleveland, he was booted by the team that ended up representing the East in the Finals. And all this without a legitimate all-star (or even decent role player) beside him.

Had Cleveland managed to nab one other good player, I don't see why they couldn't have won some time in the next five years. I think you are over-crediting the Heat's role players. They have a few good ones, for sure. And were it not for Battier, Miller, and Chamlers, it would have been a much tougher run. But, then can't we say that about Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao, and Delonte West?

Either way, there is no way to really know what could have been.

I really need to avoid this thread. The insanity is strong here.

The people who knock Jameer and say he can't defend are the same people who wanted Nash here and think Dwight is still going to resign with us.

Nash can still be traded here in January... after Dwight signs his extension.

My grandma can shoot over Jameer and can see the floor better. By not completely blowing this team up we will be a 9 to 13 pick in the draft with Jameer here instead of landing potentially a Top 5 pick. I want to be able to start a Cody Zeller thread. He is supposed to be the best of the Zellers. Also, Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad are not too bad either. I have heard Muhammad my go on a mission or something but those are three guys I would like to target early. We need a D12 replacement or some solid wing scoring. Keeing Jameer and not unloading all this other dead weight we have will not put is in the Top 3-5 unless we get lucky and win the lottery for the third time.

I really think Nicholson will be a nice piece to the puzzle to add with a high draft pick next year barring his committment to defense and getting stronger. His footwork and shooting touch are way ahead of schedule. Love the upside with. Too bad Jameer wont be able to find him much like D12. How about that assist to turnover ratio.

• Downvote 1