Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

Didn't see this posted anywhere but I like this strategy. Henny will probably work this out so that regardless of our record, he'll have traded picks with teams so that we have a lottery pick in 2013.

Question is: Who is in going to be in cap/luxury tax hell that we can poach picks/players from?

OKC benefited from that a couple years ago when they were able to acquire Eric Maynor from Utah by taking on Matt Harping's contract. That was a steal for them.

I think this trade makes sense:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8hl2rka + a 2nd rounder (at least) from SA and a 1st rounder from GSW (probably lottery protected in reality but I hope not) for taking on Jefferson.

Spurs get a front court player to play legitimate minutes in playoffs (which they need), GSW get tougher, in particular by adding Dejuan Blair (who they are rumored to be after) and we get a backup guard and draft picks.

Al Harrington is excited about playing for the Magic next season, and would like to stay with the team long-term, but he "likely will be dealt this season or next summer."

The Magic are unquestionably starting a long-term rebuilding project, making it unlikely that they'll commit much to keeping Harrington. He should play a versatile role off the bench as long as he's with the Magic, however, as they can use help at center (Nikola Vucevic, Gustavo Ayon), power forward (Glen Davis, Josh McRoberts, Andrew Nicholson) and even small forward (Hedo Turkoglu, Quentin Richardson, Moe Harkless).

From rotoworld.

Knowing that Hennigan was the one who orchestrated our 4-team deal for maximum return, gives me much optimism for future deals and transactions. And as he gets more experience under his belt, he can only get better.

Question.

Now that we have this 17 mil TPE, can we use that to trade Turk? How does the TPE work?

http://truebluenation.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22865-basketball-qa-thread/

I will point out though, that Turk is going to become a decent trade asset on his own, and we shouldn't need to use the TPE to get rid of him. However, the TPE could come in very handy in helping other teams facilitate trades as they attempt to get under the tax, and could be used to help garner us additional draft picks in the process.

IMO the magic are built to be an up tempo team right now. It will be interesting to see how Jameer plays without having to constantly defer to Dwight Howard. I would play BBD at C and Harrington at the 4, and play a deep bench. I think Ish Smith will be more relaxed and play fairly well for us. I want to see Harkless, Eyenga, Vucevic, Nicholson and O'Quinn get alot of minutes, I am actually looking forward to our season, to see what we have here that can be useful long term.

It sucks knowing we won't be very good, but it's better than knowing you have no shot at getting past the 1st or 2nd round with an old capped out lineup