Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

A couple questions.

1. Are we targeting any free agents?

2. If Dwight does remain with the Magic for the year, are there teams that would take J-Rich or Duhon?

3. Do you think Henny's OKC ties can land us Harden in a trade? I don't think they can pay Harden and Ibaka big contracts. My guess is they'll pay Ibaka.

A couple questions.

2. If Dwight does remain with the Magic for the year, are there teams that would take J-Rich or Duhon?

3. Do you think Henny's OKC ties can land us Harden in a trade? I don't think they can pay Harden and Ibaka big contracts. My guess is they'll pay Ibaka.

1. Probably not.

2. Probably not.

3. No.

A couple questions.

To elaborate on this...

Hennigan is likely having to wait on all other free agency moves until after the Howard situation is resolved. He won't know his roster for the 2012-2013 season until that happens.

If we do commit to keeping Howard for the season, then Hennigan has to decide whether to simply go into camp with the roster looking pretty close to what it looked like last year or revamping it on the fly around Dwight. My guess is that it would be somewhere between those two. For instance, he may try to move Duhon but may hold off on moving J-Rich.

As for the OKC ties, I actually think this is an interesting situation. Why isn't OKC taking a hard look at Howard? Presti could move anyone but Durant and Westbrook for Howard and immediately have THE best "Big 3" in the league. Meanwhile, what better package can you think of for Howard/Turk/etc., than Harden, Ibaka, and Perkins?

Jacque Vaughn? The Orlando Magic continue to work through finding a new head coach, but more and more insiders that are close to this process label former Magic player and current Spurs assistant coach Jacque Vaughn as the front runner to land the job.

Vaughn has a long history with new Magic GM Rob Hennigan and supposedly Vaughn has wowed everyone in the process from the beginning. Current Suns’ assistant Lindsay Hunter was also said to be impressive and could get an interview with the DeVos family.

The Magic have not established any hard deadlines to name a coach, but Hennigan has said nailing down his coach is a top priority now that the Magic are on the other side of the draft and summer league.

The Magic continue to work options on Dwight Howard, but free agency moves appear to be a low priority at this point as the Magic’s roster stands at 14 players including their two draft picks.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-courteny-lee-gets-his-deal?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-am-courteny-lee-gets-his-deal&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

To elaborate on this...

Hennigan is likely having to wait on all other free agency moves until after the Howard situation is resolved. He won't know his roster for the 2012-2013 season until that happens.

If we do commit to keeping Howard for the season, then Hennigan has to decide whether to simply go into camp with the roster looking pretty close to what it looked like last year or revamping it on the fly around Dwight. My guess is that it would be somewhere between those two. For instance, he may try to move Duhon but may hold off on moving J-Rich.

As for the OKC ties, I actually think this is an interesting situation. Why isn't OKC taking a hard look at Howard? Presti could move anyone but Durant and Westbrook for Howard and immediately have THE best "Big 3" in the league. Meanwhile, what better package can you think of for Howard/Turk/etc., than Harden, Ibaka, and Perkins?

I agree on this. If OKC could win a title with Howard you would guess he would resign with them to start arguably the best team for this decade. I would see that as a win-win situation. We would shred contracts and add two very good pieces. They would add much needed inside player and the best center in the league and would not have to deal with Ibaka/Harden contracts.

The problem with trading Howard to Oklahoma City is that OKC would have a big void at SG and PF.

OKC is planning to play against Miami and you cant do that without being deep at the 2,3, an 4 positions with or without Howard- Don't forget they just added 2 more shooters to spread the floor

If this trade would of happened at the start of free agency, it would have been perfect- OKC could have gone after Crawford, Terry, Allen, or Mayo to fill the SG harden role and would of been able to find a solid PF with the new roster.

The problem with trading Howard to Oklahoma City is that OKC would have a big void at SG and PF.

OKC is planning to play against Miami and you cant do that without being deep at the 2,3, an 4 positions with or without Howard- Don't forget they just added 2 more shooters to spread the floor

If this trade would of happened at the start of free agency, it would have been perfect- OKC could have gone after Crawford, Terry, Allen, or Mayo to fill the SG harden role and would of been able to find a solid PF with the new roster.

Dwight in the pain on defense changes how Miami is able to play in the half court. Suddenly, an already decent defending team gains the ability to gamble more, knowing that Dwight has their back.

Look at how good Orlando was on defense with Dwight on the court and imagine how good OKC would be with that same advantage.

Not to mention now you have someone, in Dwight, that Miami is not built to deal with, and two other guys on the floor with him that either also need to be double teamed, or can make you pay dearly.

Dwight on the court with Durant and Westbrook would be deadly.

Nice, Captain.

I'm floored that Houston Fan can't see that.

You don't balk at getting a top-5 player because of positioning issues, especially when you're pairing him up with another top-5 player and a top-15 player.

Well because Dwight is all about WINNING! That is his main focus, he wants to go down as one of the greatists centers of all with rings on every finger! That's why he's been pushing so hard to go to OKC.

Bill Simmons

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8182261/game-nba-thrones-part-i

One of the show's best sneaky-funny exchanges goes to the sneakiest-funniest subplot of this month — Orlando insisting on shedding many of its "bad" contracts (Glen Davis, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, etc.) in any Dwight Howard deal, and then, even as they're doing this, they extend Jameer Nelson with a three-year, $19.7 million contract that's just as "bad" as any of those other contracts. But hey, anytime you can overpay a 30-year-old point guard who can't defend anyone, gives you 12 and 6 every night, makes 42 percent of his shots and hasn't played at a high level in three years even as you're desperately trying to create cap room with a megadeal at the same time, I guess you have to do it.