Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

How about management not having the balls to go against the grain a little bit, and make a move that would be more beneficial to the Magic.

If they are that scared of HWNSNBU and Co., and were willing to hand another super-team to the Lakers, they should just sell the *****ing team and close up shop.

My guess is that the Houston deal was not nearly as good as advertised. I mean, the rumor had the Rockets literally betting their team that Dwight would re-sign. That's just not realistic.

I'm guessing they offered a draft pick or two, one of the rookies (who wasn't named Lamb), and wouldn't take our garbage (or at least not JRich).

If that's true? Hennigan really did take the best deal out there; Dwight/HWNSNBU just hamstrung us as far as negotiating goes and that's not something I'm going to forget real soon. Seriously: Dwight & Co screwed us more than Shaq ever did. At least Shaq played out his contract.

• Upvote 1

I think some people don't understand is that this deal is to start the rebuild. Getting back piggy or bynum puts us as a mediocore team that contends for an 8th or 7th seed. With this deal we get 2 nice pieces in afflalo and vuvecic....well a nice and a decent piece.....plus have our own lottery picks in the next two years that can be paired with other picks to move up. We now also have cap room because aren't hedo and al partially guaranteed?

I don't think anyone was hoping to get current star players in return for Howard. I think most people are disappointed including me in the low quality picks and prospects we're getting in return, but apparently the magic felt this was the best deal on the table or maybe something more sinister was involved. who knows.

everyone knows we're rebuilding. it would be nicer if we had a better head start. that's all. go ahead call me stupid, tell me how I know nothing about basketball and how I fail to see the big picture. its cool :)

How do we think long term like Hennigan says if every 'star' is just going to turn around and leave us right when we become relevant again?

Tough to know without knowng the official numbers of the imminent Hedo/Harrington buyouts next year. We look to have a TON of cap for 2014 for sure.

For the life of the saga, conventional wisdom accepted that the recipient of Howard would have to swallow some of Orlando's more onerous commitments. While the Magic were able to offload Jason Richardson, it's not as if Orlando tidied up the balance sheet long term. Rob Mahoney of the New York Times' Off the Dribble: "Orlando has naturally saved a bit in the deal, but in acquiring Afflalo (who will earn $31.2 million over the next four seasons) and Harrington (who will make a guaranteed $13.8 million over three years if the Magic release him before the 2013-14 season) without trading away the handsomely compensated Hedo Turkoglu or Glen Davis, the Magic have made less progress on that front than one might think. At present, Orlando only has a bit more than $30 million guaranteed on the books for the 2014 off-season, but that figure assumes the release of Harrington, Jameer Nelson (who has a partially guaranteed salary for that season), Gustavo Ayon (2014 FA), and J.J. Redick (2013 FA) and doesn’t yet account for any draft picks made in the interim. If the Magic are as miserable as anticipated, that cap space could dry up quickly, making the inclusion of Afflalo all the more costly and the possibility of a free-agent play even more unlikely."

Orlando has naturally saved a bit in the deal, but in acquiring Afflalo (who will earn $31.2 million over the next four seasons) and Harrington (who will make a guaranteed $13.8 million over three years if the Magic release him before the 2013-14 season) without trading away the handsomely compensated Hedo Turkoglu or Glen Davis, the Magic have made less progress on that front than one might think.

Exactly what Ive been saying. Outside of the obvious relief in Dwight's dollars, we didn't get rid of anything. At best, we acquired players that will be a little easier to get rid of.

Exactly what Ive been saying. Outside of the obvious relief in Dwight's dollars, we didn't get rid of anything. At best, we acquired players that will be a little easier to get rid of.

Which is alot better than having players that no one wants.... J Rich and Uhn.

I dont know why everyone is ramped up about it..... obviously we are not done dealing, so.... should I say it....

Strap On.

That's about all I can think of: we picked up players who were a little younger, and a lot more movable than JRich or Duhon were.

Oh, and I doubt we're going into the regular season with 50 PFs. Just saying...

But that is the point. Aflalo could easily put up bigger #s here since his supporting cast is so bad. Then his contract doesn't look so bad anymore, and suddenly teams see his contract as an asset. Do you see that happening with Jrich?

As for the whole blacklisting thing, HWNSNBU is very influential in the NBA and highly regarded by other agents and the Magic know a few things - if they had to deal with his backlash it could easily affect them in their FA searches. It also looks bad to other players when you trade a guy somewhere he doesn't want to be.

The final thing is we got screwed once Dwight and HWNSNBU screamed bloody murder about HOU because HOU offered less. No more Lamb and probably no Parsons. So now the Magic look at the young talent they can get and see no one on Harkless's level. They also would not have been able to dump Duhon and JRich. So when you add up the HWNSNBU pressure from all angles, it shows why Dwight is on LA and not Houston or GSW..etc.

Also, I am not really that happy about any of this, but this is the first time since pre Rashard days that the Magic will have fluidity on their roster and will be able to make good moves.

• Upvote 2

Well now this mess is over, let's find a back pg.

somehow I don't find that nearly as interesting. I hope this site has back up servers for when that goes down because the signing of a back up point guard on a sub 20 win team is big news :)