Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Getting rid of Hedo was not a priority. He (and Harrington) will be easy to dispose of after the season.

What was the priority? Getting rid of Howard for a bag of nuts? I'm feeling screwed big time!!!

• Upvote 1

Getting rid of Hedo was not a priority. He (and Harrington) will be easy to dispose of after the season.

Nelson/Ish(assuming we sign)

AA/Redick/Liggins(assuming we sign)

Harkless/Hedo/Harper/Eyenga

Nicholson/Harrington/Ayon(assuming we don't cut)

Baby/Nikola/KOQ

Puts us at 15. Ladies and Gentlemen the 2012-2013 Orl Magic Roster

If you'd go back a few pages that question would have been answered since this question has been repeated nearly 100x already. We're obviously rebuilding, the "win now" mentality went completely out the door.

I know its rebuild mode it would've been nice to tank with an elite prospect on roster to pair with a potential top 5 pick in 2013 to fast forward the rebuilding process. The Timberwolves got a promising prospect in Al Jefferson for an aging Kevin Garnett.

Like?

Denver and New Orleans. I know what the retort for each situation will be, but they still speak to my point.

Harrington's deal is supposedly partially guaranteed. Afflalo is younger and a piece going forward, the length of his deal doesn't matter.

Of course the length of his deal matters. He's going to be 27. His value to us should be re-routing him elsewhere. An ok player that will be in his 30s at best when we've got the right pieces in place. And whether Harrington is guaranteed or not, it didn't save us money.

We don't know what kind of protection is on there. For all we know it is just top 3 protection which none of these teams will sniff, so who cares.

We're all going by the same reports...they say lottery protected. Middle to irrelevant picks. Which they were likely to be anyways, but this ensures it.

Says who? Harkless is an athletic wing (something we need) and most of the forum wanted him pre-draft. He has the ability to be a Iggy or Batum kind of player. Sorry we didn't land a superstar caliber prospect, that is the reason why we have to tank.

Hey, a lot of people in this forum were high on guys like Joey Dorsey and Chris Douglas Roberts too. I think Harkless can contribute defensively, but if he's more than a rotation guy, I'd be thrilled. Iggy or Batum? We'll see about that.

There's an issue with people thinking that anybody that doesn't like this deal doesn't "get it" or "know basketball." I know the game. I know the strategy. I know the end game is being pathetic enough to be lottery mainstays for a couple years. I just think this deal stinks. Sue me.

What was the priority? Getting rid of Howard for a bag of nuts? I'm feeling screwed big time!!!

The priority was to start over and rebuild. Like I keep saying, this is obviously what the Magic are trying to do but people are still apalled that we didn't trade Dwight for a package of good players. We have no interest in competing this season, we're rebuilding. If you don't like it, follow Dwight to LA.

Situations are completly different. Deron Williams wasn't holding Utah hostage. They dealt him on their own to avoid this kind of mess.

Also, how can we go on about Favors being an elite prospect and call what we get role players? When has Derrick Favors been anything but a role player so far in his career? He has talent, but he is no future All NBA player.

Favors is a top 5 pick who is buried behind borderline all stars in Jefferson and Milsap. Hes played great in his limited time and the Jazz are going to have to deal jefferson, Milsap, or both they also have Kanter pushing for PT

As much as I wanted to see this drama come to an end, we had a big enough chip to get more than the presented deal.

Dwight Howard is the most coveted big man in the league today and has been for many years. The result of this pending deal leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I hate feeling that we'll look back at this deal in 5 years or so and say, we really had an opportunity their to get more value for our dollar.

Mr.Hennigan, I won't lose faith because you haven't had a real chance, but good luck mate.

Denver and New Orleans. I know what the retort for each situation will be, but they still speak to my point.

Completly different situations. Especially New Orleans, CP3 had more of an open mind than Dwight has. Dwight has demanded trades to teams with no elite prospects or young talent to rebuild with. This is the best we could do.

Of course the length of his deal matters. He's going to be 27. His value to us should be re-routing him elsewhere. An ok player that will be in his 30s at best when we've got the right pieces in place. And whether Harrington is guaranteed or not, it didn't save us money.

27 in the NBA is prime years dude. This isn't the NFL where as soon as you hit 30, you're untouchable. His contract is reasonable for what he brings to the table. I mean, most of you seem to think BBD is worth his deal even though he spent most of last season as one of the league's worst players. Afflalo is one of the best shooters/defenders in the league at his position, he is worth his deal more than BBD.

How does Harrington not save us money? Dumping he and Hedo after the season will set the team up to clear cap space. Everyone else on the team is actually tradeable now too.

We're all going by the same reports...they say lottery protected. Middle to irrelevant picks. Which they were likely to be anyways, but this ensures it.

Reports are just that. Nobody knows the exact details of the protections yet.

Hey, a lot of people in this forum were high on guys like Joey Dorsey and Chris Douglas Roberts too. I think Harkless can contribute defensively, but if he's more than a rotation guy, I'd be thrilled. Iggy or Batum? We'll see about that.

You're comparing 2nd round caliber players people were high on to a player who could've been a lottery pick in a deep draft.

There's an issue with people thinking that anybody that doesn't like this deal doesn't "get it" or "know basketball." I know the game. I know the strategy. I know the end game is being pathetic enough to be lottery mainstays for a couple years. I just think this deal stinks. Sue me.

I never said you didn't know the game, you are just being shortsighted and really don't get why the Magic are doing this. We were NEVER going to get an amazing trade. I would've liked to get all of Houston's rookies plus a bunch of their picks, but they weren't going to do it for a guy who wanted nothing to do with them.

Considering how awful Dwight's trade list was, this was about the best we could do. A good young SG in Afflalo, a good rookie prospect and a 7 footer who has upside. We weren't going to get an elite prospect because none of the teams willing to deal for Dwight had one to give.