Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Yeah, I thought about it after I logged off and was too lazy to add it. Rashard being overpaid by about 50 mil might be 2nd or 3rd on the list of dumbest Otis moves ever.

What's sad is that 'Shard really was a good player. Not max-money good, but he was a really effective SF. At 6'10, he had great size, was a great shooter, but could also take other SFs down low and score pretty easy. I met 'Shard a few times when he was up here in Seattle, even had a chance to talk to him a little during a pick-up game at UW (where I work). Really nice guy.

It really, really sucks what happened to 'Shard. I really think he got trapped under that contract as much as the Magic did.

I mean, yes: the dude made a TON of money, but still.

Trading Dwight:

It's not as easy as what people thinks. The Magic are too loyal...Dwight knows this, HWNSNBU knows this, Rudolph knows this, and Dwight's whole camp knows this.

:svgsad: :svgsad: :svgsad:

By the way, YBR, send this to Dwight and ask him to watch it again...if he ever even watched it once or remembers it in the first place.

With what exactly are we supposed to acquire said players with? This isn't NBA2k12...

Oh come on, I just traded Jason Richardson and Glen Davis to Boston for Kevin Garnett.

If I can do it in my game, we can totally make trades like that in real life!!!

This isn't on YBR. Don't shoot the messenger.

But YBR, I hope Dwight knows that leaving Orlando is no guarantee he's going to win titles either. T-Mac thought he and Yao were destined to win some, too, and they never made it out of the first round. The Lakers were the only team he ever said he would play for that really would give him a chance to win one.

Dwight should also keep in mind through all his fury that Orlando did do a lot, too. They've been more successful than about 25 other NBA teams in the time that he's been here. They did at least get him to the Finals, which most other teams cannot say in that span. It cost them a lot to do that, too, though Otis didn't spend money very wisely (don't get his whole belief that it's only about the money; they have spent more to try to help him than 28 other teams have spent the past few seasons).

They made his dream of being the No. 1 pick come true (and were criticized roundly for it by the same people that his agent has crushing the Magic now). They set up the entire team to feature Dwight. They hired coaches that could help improve his game, especially his defense. Some of his teammates sacrificed some of their own games so he could be featured. The Magic promoted him for DPOY, all-NBA and MVP. He has the misfortune of playing at the same time as Lebron, who the media decided would be the player of his generation before either of them even had been drafted (S.I. cover story when Lebron was a junior in HS). Same thing happened to guys in Jordan's era. Yes, Orlando has just been awful to him.

They have made some mistakes, no doubt. But it's not for a lack of trying.

I can't give any more positive feedback for the day, but this post is 100% correct.

The last sentence is also why I don't totally hate Otis Smith. He made some decisions that didn't work out, but he was constantly trying to make us better. And for what it's worth, he did assemble the best team in franchise history. Some things he did didn't work out, and it's probably for the best that he's gone now, but every move he made was some kind of attempt to get us better. He never tanked, he was never cheap.

My concerns about Bynum (other than his knees) are that we'd see a considerable drop-off defensively (compared to Dwight), he doesn't seem to hustle at all, and we still wouldn't have a perimeter answer for MIA. The only chance we had against great wing players was D12 protecting the rim, which Bynum isn't nearly as good at. Also, I'd puke if the Lakers won another title.

I do wonder how much of that is due to a lack of interest, though. I'm not sure Dwight would be quite as mobile if he were the 3rd/4th option on offense.

Howards venom seems to be squarely on Alex Martin.I wonder if the DeVos family would of gotten rid of Alex along with Otis and Stan if Dwights perspective would of changed.

Either way ,I hope something happens soon because as of right now none of us have any idea how our team is gonna be shaping up for camp.

I want a clean slate and a reset,out with cancerous Dwight and the bad contracts.Bring in some hungry youth.

Its time for Heart and Hustle V2.

So the magic promised Dwight a trade to Brooklyn for the opt in?

Sounds like complete and total crap.

I posted this july 20th in this thread.

Hey all.. I was a member here about 4 years ago. When the board changed, I wasn't able to get back on so I never bothered.. just lurked.

Anyway, I'm getting back on because I think that theres something that most everybody is missing in the Dwight fiasco. You have to read between the lines on this one.

Dwight complained about being blackmailed. What he is referring to is that Devos promised him that he'ld trade him after last season if he'ld sign and play out the season with the Magic. The whole loyalty thing was Dwight being committed to the Magic for the season and not being traded. Dwight said he would be loyal and what he meant was for last season but it was under the condition that Devos traded him to where he wanted to go and thats to the Nets. Things that point to that are when Dwight commented during later in the season that it was hard for him to decide because the Magic were playing so well. In his words, "we keep winning". He wanted to exit the Magic with giving them one last chance with him to take a shot at a championship. Devos agreed and Dwight signed under the condition that he be traded to the Nets in the offseason.

Alex Martins said in a couple of press conferences that his goal was to get Dwight to sign long term. So Dwight semi left the door open but basically said that he wanted to be traded after the season to the Nets. Martins job was to try and talk Dwight out of that but obviously as things have transpired, thats not going to happen. Dwight is wanting Devos to live up to his end of the bargain and trade him to the Nets. Devos is likely in a connundrum as Dwight opted out the playoffs for surgery and missed the playoffs entirely. I think its on Richs' head right now what to do. As you've heard, Dwight is furious that the trade to the Nets hasn't happened yet. Hes banking on Rich holding up his end of the agreement.

If i were Rich, I'ld tell Dwight, you blew the agreement when you had elective surgery on your back before the playoffs.

Of course it isn't, he's just tired of waiting for moves to be made

Magic tried by trading for the most toxic contract in the league in Arenas, who just so happened to be Dwight's friend.

Can't say the Magic haven't tried.

Moves have been made all throughout Dwight's tenure, from getting rid of a disgruntled Tracy McGrady, and bringing in Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Kelvin Cato, making moves to bring in Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson that same year, to making salary cap moves like trading for Penny Hardaway's expiring contract, making a big free agent splash with Rashard Lewis who, along with Dwight, Jameer, and Hedo were the focal point of an Eastern Conference Champion team, to attempting to fill a weakness on the squad by bringing in Vince Carter, as well as other moves like Arena, Richardson, and Hedo again, which perhaps didn't work out, and even getting involved in the Chris Paul sweepstakes that never panned out, but were all done with the intention of addressing weaknesses on the team and improving.

And if Dwight stuck it out with the Magic at the end of this upcoming season, it is my understanding that we'd be in a bit better cap situation to start making moves once again.

But he wants to go open up a brand new arena in New York alongside Deron Williams... Dwight wants to be like LeBron. That's it. Brooklyn won't be able to make any moves there. Their cap is completely locked up for years. It's all about the media and the hype for Dwight. It's not about winning.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with that. I think Howard had his mind made up around the time when Lebron made his decision to go to Miami. I remember him being on twitter that night, appalled that Cleveland fans were burning Lebron's jersey, after he had "given Cleveland all he had". A few of us (RevTy and myself) went back and forth with him, he was talking about how "its just not the same in Orlando as other cities" (referencing the fans and how involved they are in cities like Boston). He even went so far as to say that "Orlando doesn't love me". In my mind, he was already trying to come up with an exit strategy.

I think we could bring in talent to help him, and he would still want out.

Agreed 100%. This is all about being like LeBron for Dwight. He wants to be the big face in a big market that the media just absolutely loves and adores.

So the magic promised Dwight a trade to Brooklyn for the opt in?

Sounds like complete and total crap.

Mr. "I didn't ask for stan van gundy to be fired" has zero creditability at this point. Besides what would be the point of signing the opt in just to trade him later?

Trading Dwight:

It's not as easy as what people thinks. The Magic are too loyal...Dwight knows this, HWNSNBU knows this, Rudolph knows this, and Dwight's whole camp knows this.

:svgsad: :svgsad: :svgsad:

By the way, YBR, send this to Dwight and ask him to watch it again...if he ever even watched it once or remembers it in the first place.

lol tweet it to him