Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

GAYEST CITIES IN THE US

2. Orlando, Fla.

Besides hosting Gay Days at Disney World, where 50,000 LGBT folks and their kids dressed in red T-shirts invade the theme park the first Saturday in June (and spend $100 million in town), Orlando has more gay softball teams than you can shake a Louisville Slugger at. And residents just got domestic-partnership protections. For non-Mickeyphiles, there’s oodles of homo content each year at the annual Orlando International Fringe Theater Festival (OrlandoFringe.org).

With the reaming we're getting in this deal, we should easily be number 1 next year.

Too much listening to the national media, and holding on to the hope that we would either keep Dwight or get a superstar back.

Anyone who thinks this trade is worse than the Nets or HOU offers is insane.

Houston trade was not only better than this one being reported, it was 1000x better

As Bill says:

"LOSER: Orlando I knew the pupu platter was coming. You knew it was coming. Even Orlando's fans knew it was coming. But when it actually happens and you're staring at those lukewarm spareribs? Man … there's nothing worse.

What Orlando sent out: Howard and nearly $30 million of cap-clogging contracts belonging to Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark.

What Orlando got back: Arron Afflalo, Nik Vucevic, Al Harrington, Mo Harkless, three protected first-rounders, cap space next summer, three soggy fried shrimp, six half-cooked egg rolls and four sweet-and-sour chicken skewers to be named later. Hey, at least there isn't a storied history of NBA teams giving away superstars for 50 cents on the dollar, then totally regretting it after the fact … well, except for the two Wilt trades, the Kareem trade, the Dr. J trade, the T-Mac/Rockets trade, the Moses/Philly trade and the Barkley/Phoenix trade.

Was it a bad sign for Orlando that they got significantly less for the league's only dominant center than the Hornets got for Chris Paul and the Nuggets got for Carmelo Anthony? I'm going out on a limb and saying "yes." Had I been running the Magic, there would have been a zero percent chance — repeat: zero percent chance — that I was trading Howard unless I was getting Bynum back AND dumping Turkoglu's contract. Without those two things, I'm just keeping Howard, letting the soap opera drag on and on for a few more months, then hoping I could do better in February.

And guess what? I'm pretty sure that, six months from now, Philly, Denver and the Lakers would all still want to do a four-team trade in which all of them made out great and the Magic made out like crap. I hate how Orlando handled this saga; I hate that they caved; and I hate this trade for them."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8254854/mailbag

The Magic should of push for Gasol to be included in the deal, and then flipped him to Denver for Gallo and Chandler.

If Denver wanted Gasol, they would've gotten him in this 4 team trade.

The Magic should of push for Gasol to be included in the deal, and then flipped him to Denver for Gallo and Chandler.

i don't think we have any leverage...

THE MAGIC SHOULD'VE TRADED FOR PRIME DETLEF SCHREMPF/SCOTTIE PIPPEN AND EVERY #1 LOTTO PICK FOR THE NEXT 48 YEARS AND OMG I JUST HAD AN ANEURYSM

I never said that spending was the way to win. I was just responding to your stupid comment on getting new ownership. If you were intelligent and believed in the fact they need to rebuild. Then you would be for this trade. They are going to have 30 million in cap space in 2014, along with their own picks and these other picks in the trade.

The GM is a great evaluator of talent and we have to believe he will turn these picks into something special.

I like how having our own pick is being listed as one of the pros of this deal.