Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/08/02/orlando-magic-offseason-moves-analysis/

Orlando Magic Offseason Moves & Analysis

MOVES:

New GM Rob Hennigan began the offseason consumed by the need to trade Dwight Howard but moved on to other pressing matters. Hennigan clearly wants to blow it up; there is no other reason to explain why he would sign-and-trade Ryan Anderson – one of the few pieces he had worth building around – to New Orleans for promising but unproven center Gustavo Ayon, who has a team option, and a $4.3 million trade exception.

It also explains the somewhat surprising selection of Spurs assistant Jacque Vaughn as his new coach over other candidates considered more ready such as Michael Curry, Michael Malone and Brian Shaw. If you ordered every team by its coaching strength, right now the Magic would rank ahead of only Charlotte (Mike Dunlap) and Portland (still looking).

Hennigan also re-signed Jameer Nelson, who surprisingly opted out of his contract, partially because he didn’t want to be a trade chip. Nelson was re-signed for three years and a whopping $25.2 million, way too much for a team trying to rebuild.

TO-DO LIST:

The youngest and most inexperienced GM in the league, Hennigan has held firm in his desire to get back a combination of salary cap relief, young players and draft picks for Howard. The blockbuster deal with Brooklyn collapsed because Hennigan was unwilling to take back Kris Humphries on a multi-year deal.

See link above for the rest of the story ~ The Captain

Edited by Captain Hi-Top
Limit quoting stories to 4 paragraphs and a link per TOS.

Took a 2 week cruise to the Caribbeans only to come back and see that we're still in the same boat before I left.

:chairshot:

Amazing how your absence had no effect whatsoever on the situation.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.

D-wight is D-gone....... Let him corrupt some other team and bit-- at the refs during games and brick free throws during crunch time...

Dwight: "All the selfish players"

Backup Vocalists (Shaq, Melo, Sprewel): "All the Selfish players"

Dwight: "All the selfish players"

Backup Vocalists: "All the Selfish players"

Dwight: "Put your hands out"

Dwight: "Im up in the game, trying do my thang, how much ya gonna pay me"

Dwight: "on the line I may brick, smile at a chick, laugh it off while losing"

Dwight: "I listen to Dan, who said fire Stan, maybe thats my new thing"

Dwight: "I will ask for a team, with a brooklyn theme, hey im just trying peruse my dreams"

Chorus:

Dan says if I dont like it, then I should put a move on it

Dont be mad because I want to go "Poof" on ya

(Sorry, it was in my head and had to be released)

Genius! Forums been entertaining this morning lol

Dwight is a cancer to the Orlando Magic and bringing him into the locker room is like asking the doctor "can you please give me cancer?" He's already thrown the whole team under the bus with "get me a new team" so we need to exactly do that... get him on another team!

We need to wait it out like Good Job Rob has been doing and then take the best deal we can get before camp starts unless Houston comes back to us with the package we want.

As far as bad contracts Hedo can be brought off the bench and bought out next year, JRich would probably be quite effective off the bench, Davis is an asset, QRich is acceptable off the bench, so really the only toxic contract as I see it is Duhon... who should never wear a Magic jersey again.

We need a good back-up to Meer

We need a good starting 3

We need a true center

If we can get any of these, get rid of Duhon and maybe 1 of our other contracts, get some picks and a few rookies of our choice, get Martin's expiring deal and have a successful cancer operation we will be in good shape to move ahead!

Sounds like a trade with the Lakers is all we need. Trade Dwight & JRich for Bynum/Ebanks & sign Ish

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/08/02/orlando-magic-offseason-moves-analysis/

Orlando Magic Offseason Moves & Analysis

MOVES:

New GM Rob Hennigan began the offseason consumed by the need to trade Dwight Howard but moved on to other pressing matters. Hennigan clearly wants to blow it up; there is no other reason to explain why he would sign-and-trade Ryan Anderson – one of the few pieces he had worth building around – to New Orleans for promising but unproven center Gustavo Ayon, who has a team option, and a $4.3 million trade exception.

It also explains the somewhat surprising selection of Spurs assistant Jacque Vaughn as his new coach over other candidates considered more ready such as Michael Curry, Michael Malone and Brian Shaw. If you ordered every team by its coaching strength, right now the Magic would rank ahead of only Charlotte (Mike Dunlap) and Portland (still looking).

Hennigan also re-signed Jameer Nelson, who surprisingly opted out of his contract, partially because he didn’t want to be a trade chip. Nelson was re-signed for three years and a whopping $25.2 million, way too much for a team trying to rebuild.

TO-DO LIST:

The youngest and most inexperienced GM in the league, Hennigan has held firm in his desire to get back a combination of salary cap relief, young players and draft picks for Howard. The blockbuster deal with Brooklyn collapsed because Hennigan was unwilling to take back Kris Humphries on a multi-year deal.

Translation: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a trade with the Lakers is all we need. Trade Dwight & JRich for Bynum/Ebanks & sign Ish

No, not what I had in mind at all... if we are going into a rebuild we need a young center that we can develop on a cheap contract. On the other hand Bynum is on his least year and we can play him out and see if he's what we want to build around or we can:

A - let him walk

B - trade him at the deadline

C - sign him to a new contract

Ebanks is worth looking at and Ish might be perfect on a team that the coach is dedicated to player development :D

I have to disagree RSC. While Dwight was trying to get to BRK with his bird rights intact, there's an entirely different reason to opt in that trumps that: Money.

His opt in was from the last CBA, and gave him a 10.5% raise. Had he not exercised it, even re-upping with ORL would have been at a 5% raise, under the terms of the new CBA.

So by going all the way to the end of his old deal, he now gets to start at over 20 mil on his new one, no matter where he goes. He added around a million dollars to his first year (and every year thereafter), which is bigger than the difference between 4.5 and 7.5% raises.

Simply put, by opting in, he makes a new 4 year deal at 4.5% raises bigger overall than a similar number of years at 7.5% raises would have been. he's hedged his bets.

The public relations group is pretty strong. Isn't that right live or die?