Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Dwight Howard OK to re-up for Lakers

Magic center Dwight Howard signaled that if he is traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, he would be prepared to sign a long-term extension after the 2012-13 NBA season, the basketball website RealGM.com reported on Wednesday.

Two sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that Howard is willing to re-sign long-term with the Lakers if Orlando trades him there. Until recently, Howard had been steadfast in his desire to commit only to the Brooklyn Nets long-term.

The Lakers have not been notified of any change in Howard's thinking as of late Wednesday night, a league source told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne, but had always figured he would commit to staying with the franchise once he experienced being part of a championship culture. As ESPNLosAngeles.com reported Tuesday night, the Lakers have been willing to make a trade for Howard without assurances he would sign an extension.

Sources also told Broussard the Lakers are ready and eager to trade for Howard -- with a package built around Andrew Bynum -- but that Orlando is holding up the deal. Orlando, while willing to trade Howard, is not in a rush. The Magic will wait until they get a deal they like.

The Lakers remained dogged in their pursuit of Howard late into the night Wednesday and plan to continue discussions into Thursday, a league source told ESPNLosAngeles.com, but the longer the process drags on, the more it complicates their other offseason business and forces them to consider moving on.

One potential holdup is Bynum's unwillingness to sign a long-term extension in Orlando. While Bynum has not completely ruled out playing there, sources said, he will not sign an extension there and instead will wait until after the season to potentially test the free-agent market.

The Lakers have talked with Cleveland and Houston, both of whom have interest in Bynum, about being a third team to help facilitate the trade. Both clubs have the draft picks Orlando wants in any deal.

The Magic will also want to rid themselves of some of their more onerous contracts like those of Hedo Turkoglu and Jason Richardson.

If a Howard trade isn't feasible, the Lakers would quickly turn their attention to resuming extension talks with Bynum and re-signing forward Jordan Hill. If Bynum agrees to an extension, it would start the clock on a deal for Howard in much the same way Brooklyn's extension with Brook Lopez did this week.

Judging from the article per the Houston Chronicle today, Rockets appear to be softening on a trade for Dwight (mentioned they offered a combination of our recent picks + Raptors first). Houston seems to love their future with their rookies.

Link: blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/after-landing-lin-rockets-owner-alexander-hopes-for-one-more-marquee-move/

Rumors seem to point to LA but who knows?

Judging from the article per the Houston Chronicle today, Rockets appear to be softening on a trade for Dwight (mentioned they offered a combination of our recent picks + Raptors first). Houston seems to love their future with their rookies.

Link: blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/after-landing-lin-rockets-owner-alexander-hopes-for-one-more-marquee-move/

Rumors seem to point to LA but who knows?

Could be posturing by Les Alexander. Reports a few days ago were that we were offering the farm for Howard. He wants everybody to know he's not that desperate. Sounds like a leverage ploy and something to fall back on to save face if Houston can't get a deal done.

Could be posturing by Les Alexander. Reports a few days ago were that we were offering the farm for Howard. He wants everybody to know he's not that desperate. Sounds like a leverage ploy and something to fall back on to save face if Houston can't get a deal done.

I hope so. Because the best outcome, as I see it, is a trade with Houston where we trade Howard (and 1-2 of our undesirable contracts) for a combination of young talent, expirings and draft picks. I want no part of Bynum, Varejao, or Lopez.

• Upvote 2

I want Dwight but I don't think that is the case. Having 4 GREAT rookies + signing Lin gives Houston a great young team with possibly a bright future (gotta tank a year though). Les realizes that and hence why he's not so desperate for Dwight anymore.

Might be a ploy but I didn't get that impression. I think the front office legitimately feels this way, that Dwight isn't necessary anymore and if the Magic meet their price then sure but if not then Houston will simply move on.

Btw that ''giving up the farm'' report was 100% BS. David Aldridge and Jonathan Feigan disputed it and said it was much less.

Btw that ''giving up the farm'' report was 100% BS. David Aldridge and Jonathan Feigan disputed it and said it was much less.

Obviously the report was false. I'm saying Les made his comments to show the fans that we're not as crazy as it seems.

Doubt they give up on the Dwight dream when they are this close. We'll know after Asik's deal.

how nice of howard to reconsider the lakers. You're doing us such a huge huge favor bud. Couldn't thank you enough!

see guys, dwight really does care.............

not

Obviously the report was false. I'm saying Les made his comments to show the fans that we're not as crazy as it seems.

Doubt they give up on the Dwight dream when they are this close. We'll know after Asik's deal.

Gotcha. Houston is a tough team to speculate these days.

I didnt say they would give up but probably won't up the ante by much. Just how I view it, hope this is over soon.