Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Magic better at least get Lamb/Parsons/Toronto pick regardless of if Dwight goes to LA or Houston. I still personally want him to go to Houston cause he might be miserable for a while but whatever.

Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider

Yahoo! Sports says LAL-ORL talking Dwight Howard. Could be LAL-ORL-HOU 3-way, LAL sending ABynum to HOU with Rockets taking ORL contracts

Makes no sense for the Lakers to upgrade their center position for free when Houston could acquire Howard themselves. This 3-way has always sounded like BS to me. IF the Lakers are involved, Bynum is going to Orlando, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider

Yahoo! Sports says LAL-ORL talking Dwight Howard. Could be LAL-ORL-HOU 3-way, LAL sending ABynum to HOU with Rockets taking ORL contracts

Rox need to get this done. Motiejunas, Bynum, Lamb or Parsons is a solid young 3 to build around.

problem with dealing with Lakers is that they can only take back BBD and JRICH....

and if we wanna get rid of more contracts... we will have to take back some of their players, like Blake and Artest...

this probably would be the deal...

Orl gets:

Bynum, Artest, Blake, McRoberts, Ebanks (S&T)

LA gets:

Howard, BBD, JRich, QRich, Duhon

so basically we reduced BBD and JRich's contracts to 2 years from 3 years...

and turned QRich into Ebanks...

while getting an expiring contract for Duhon...

it is an OK deal... not a home run but acceptable...

Why the desire to get rid of BBD? I don't get that: dude played really well for us in the playoffs and, if we lose Dwight, I'd really like SOME stability in the locker room.

BBD's actually won a championship before and seems to be a pretty good lockerroom presence. I'd hate for him to just be a toss-in on some trade.

Granted: Hedo, JRich, and Duhon's contracts are a load because all of those guys get paid WAY more than their production suggests. BBD's not overpaid.

• Upvote 2

Hollinger on Nets' Deal for Humphries....

Looking for a reason why Kris Humphries is getting $12 million a year? Just look at the cap math from the Brooklyn Nets’ perspective ... and then turn your gaze toward Florida.

If they’re thinking about trading for Dwight Howard after Jan. 15, when Brook Lopez is trade eligible -- and most certainly, they are -- then signing Humphries to a short contract of this size makes all kinds of sense.

The reason is that it allows the Nets to take back much bigger contracts from Orlando in a trade. Paying Humphries $12 million means that the combination of Humphries, Tyshawn Taylor and Reggie Evans can be used to take back $18.6 million in contracts from Orlando -- which conveniently, is exactly enough to swallow the contracts of Orlando veterans Glen Davis, Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Quentin Richardson and clean the Magic’s books going forward.

Do that, then put Lopez and MarShon Brooks in a deal for Howard (again, just clearing enough salary from the New Jersey end to take back his salary from Orlando), throw in all the same draft picks New Jersey would give in the original deal, and the trade still works. In fact, it works better, since the Nets can swallow a bit more salary in this one than in the deal mooted over the summer.

As for the fine print, Brooks almost certainly would be routed to a third team for another draft pick for Orlando, but the trade would be cap-legal regardless. Routing Humphries to a third team would prove more problematic, but again it would be cap-legal if it happened as long as all the goodies went back to the Magic. After all this, the Magic would have a signed frontcourt of Humphries and Lopez and, if they cut Hedo Turkoglu, have max cap space in 2013.

Are there hang-ups to this strategy? Of course. First and most obviously, Howard may not be with the Magic in January. Second, even if he is, much depends on how well Lopez plays at the start of the season -- the Magic are unlikely to be tempted unless he’s racking up 20-and-10s. And unless he wants to end up on bad team, it’s not clear to me how much incentive he has to play well.

But it’s worth a shot, and Brooklyn has shown that the money is a secondary concern. They’d have a $90 million payroll after doing a deal like the one above, but they’d be a marketing powerhouse in their first year in Brooklyn -- an investment that would likely pay itself back several times over. In the context of that, overpaying Humphries a few million seems like chump change.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Big Baby going anywhere? At least not before J-Rich, Q, Hedo, and/or Duhon.

Dude's at least got heart and some skills, even though he's undersized. I would not call him one of our "bad" contracts, is all I'm sayin'. At least bad on a Magic contract scale, anyway.

I think most of us want to keep him... dude plays hard and really cares! If we trade with L.A. they can keep Artest and McRoberts if need be and we'll keep BBD.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Big Baby going anywhere? At least not before J-Rich, Q, Hedo, and/or Duhon.

Dude's at least got heart and some skills, even though he's undersized. I would not call him one of our "bad" contracts, is all I'm sayin'. At least bad on a Magic contract scale, anyway.

I don't, I want him to stay, he deserves to be on this team, BUT... if we are going to rebuild and retool,

we have too many bigs to develop... then he's gotta go

I love it that Hollinger glosses over the fact that we'd be stuck taking back Humphries, Lopez, and Reggie Evans! At the end, he also talks about the reasons why the Nets wouldn't care that they are overpaying Humphries, but based on his scenario - the whole point of the article - the MAGIC would be the ones overpaying Humphries, not the Nets!

Baby would be much better if he would just stop shooting the ball. As is, he is a horrible, god awful, mind numbingly bad two point shooter. He is bad rebounding the ball and on assists to top it off (fga need to go down, assists need to go up).

His one redeeming quality is that he is somewhat passable on defense. He can guard isso and P&R man plays well. Though again, on post ups and spot ups the dude just isn't that good.

He's worth half what he is getting paid, and hopefully if we don't dump him we can find a taker based on his playoff performance (which wasn't even that good outside of massive quantity of usage)

Edit: Even his 'leadership' is overrated. He punched a hole in the wall, thought he should start over Anderson, and publicly clashed with SVG. If anything, he is a cancer that will rot the team once we start losing and developing players at his PT's expense.

what the heck is this

Hollinger on Nets' Deal for Humphries....

Why does ESPN keep beating the Brooklyn dead horse.... Is it run by the Russian Mafia? Dwight Howard is not going to Brooklyn; nobody in the league is going to come close to sniffing Brook Lopezs contract- its a bad as the one we gave Sugar Rashard- how bout Holligner does a stat analysis on the terrible Lopez deal instead.

Why the desire to get rid of BBD? I don't get that: dude played really well for us in the playoffs and, if we lose Dwight, I'd really like SOME stability in the locker room.

BBD's actually won a championship before and seems to be a pretty good lockerroom presence. I'd hate for him to just be a toss-in on some trade.

Granted: Hedo, JRich, and Duhon's contracts are a load because all of those guys get paid WAY more than their production suggests. BBD's not overpaid.

I feel the same about BBD, but if we're not going to compete for the playoffs... Rob will likely move him cause the length of his contract...

we just have too many bigs, and if we're going to play BBD ahead of OQuinn and the mexian player... they won't get any playing time...

if we get Bynum, bank on it BBD probably will be gone