Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Let's be honest guys, there is no way to spin this as a good deal for Orlando. It would be one thing if Orlando was getting rid of all their contracts and gaining draft picks and starting over. BUT when you have to sign Lopez to a 58 million dollar contract, it's just plain stupid. The only party(ies) with a deadline are the Nets and Dwight. They HAVE to get this done very soon. On one hand, if there really are so many players being moved, it is understandable for why this is taking so long, but it really does have that feeling of the Nets/Dwight final push through media to make this happen. Hennigan just has to be smart (which he has to be with he pedigree) and use this to get something else or continue to wait till Dwight has to open up his list. There really is no incentive for Orlando to make this deal as reported.

Not quite.

"BYC" technically no longer exists, but it was replaced by an identical rule that only applies to S&Ted players. And since I don't know the name of that rule, I'm going to call it BYC.

Essentially, if a player is S&Ted and their new salary is greater than 125% of their previous salary, then their salary in a trade(in terms of matching salaries between teams) isn't their new salary; it's the greater of half their new salary or 125% of their old one.

So lets say the Nets wanted to S&T Brook Lopez with a new 16m contract(in reality, he legally can't get anything close to that). Ok, fine. His incoming value for Orlando, so what Orlando would have to match with, is 16m. But his outgoing salary from Brooklyn is just 8m, so they could only receive 10m in salary in return. Any more than that, and the trade is illegal.

The currently listed trade has Lopez, Gaines, Williams and James all becoming BYC players, and all of them would have to get big enough raises that their outgoing trade value would only be half of whatever their new salary is. The apparent idea is that Brooklyn would get around that by dumping a monstrously large one year deal for Humphries to Cleveland, who can use their CAP space to just absorb Humphries, but if Humphries gets more than 10m a year, HE becomes a BYC player, and then the only way they can get his outgoing value above 10m is by giving him a contract in excess of 20m, and holy **** why are people buying any of this?

but according to coon's site, this is only applies as you state it if the team is over the cap. Not sure on whether that means if they are over the cap currently when they s&t the player, or if the S&T puts them over the cap. I'm inclined to believe the former, but am not sure.

from coon's site

The 2011 CBA mostly eliminated BYC -- in fact, the term "Base Year Compensation" was removed from the agreement entirely. The rules formerly known as BYC now apply under just one circumstance -- during sign-and-trade transactions (see question number 88). If a team is over the cap and re-signs its Larry Bird or Early Bird free agent with a raise greater than 20%, in order to trade the player in a sign-and-trade arrangement, then the player's outgoing salary for trade purposes is either his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater. The team receiving the player always uses his new salary.

I would assume that if they're not over that cap this restriction doesn't apply? seems like it could be legal depending on how you read it. not sure if you looked over the actual legalese of cba, or were just going by coon's site?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Pacers are going to match Hibbert's offer sheet meaning Portland has money again. Portland, please sign Brook Lopez to an offer sheet making all of this go away.

but according to coon's site, this is only applies as you state it if the team is over the cap. Not sure on whether that means if they are over the cap currently when they s&t the player, or if the S&T puts them over the cap. I'm inclined to believe the former, but am not sure.

from coon's site

I would assume that if they're not over that cap this restriction doesn't apply?

I would guess if the S&T puts them over the cap. Defeats the purpose if not. If you have a little bit of capspace and then exploit the rules that allow you to go over, then its the exact situation the BYC is trying to avoid.

from coon's site

I would assume that if they're not over that cap this restriction doesn't apply? seems like it could be legal depending on how you read it. not sure if you looked over the actual legalese of cba, or were just going by coon's site?

Acquiring Joe Johnson and re-signing Deron Williams "officially" on the 11th will put them well over the cap.. Hence why they are scrambling and trying to pressure us to agree to it now so they can process it first

Henny should go on vacation for a week with no forwarding number. When he comes back this New Jersey thing is in the past. Could you imagine Feegan and Billy King's faces when their calls keep getting forwarded to voice mail. It is nice to dream.

If the deal goes down I am done with the rigged fake NBA I'm gonna watch wrestling from now on or women's panty football or possibly the worst Canadian football anything to preoccupy this reality by substituting for other sports the big markets are the monopoly I'm done hopefully gator basketball can be good next year that's all the basketball I'm watching please don't do it henny its franchise suicide let Dwight walk rather than gift wrap him for crap in exchange

Forget all that contract talk and rebuilding.... we better not get Luke Walton and let Brooklyn keep Gerald Wallace

Throw Wallace in the deal for dion waiters to come to us

Forget all that contract talk and rebuilding.... we better not get Luke Walton and let Brooklyn keep Gerald Wallace

Throw Wallace in the deal for dion waiters to come to us

wallace 10 mill 30 some years old 4 dion rookie cap friendly contract? wow that will never happen

Acquiring Joe Johnson and re-signing Deron Williams "officially" on the 11th will put them well over the cap.. Hence why they are scrambling and trying to pressure us to agree to it now so they can process it first

i don't think they'll be over the cap when they do that because they set themselves up to have bare cupboards this offseason. they can't do a s&t dwight deal until the 11th anyways, what would processing it first benefit them. weren't there s&t's in the joe johnson deal also?