Sign in to follow this  
Miller4Prez66

Justice League coming to the big screen?

With the enormous success of Marvel's superhero crossover "The Avengers," it was only a matter of time before we heard of renewed efforts from DC Comics and Warner Bros. to get their own franchise mashup, "Justice League," off the ground.

So it should come as no surprise that a new report from Variety confirms that Warner Bros. hired "Gangster Squad" writer Will Beall to write the "Justice League" movie sometime last year.

Beall has become the go-to guy for Warner Bros., which recently hired him to write the screenplays for its "Lethal Weapon" reboot and the "Logan's Run" remake, which has director Nicolas Winding Refn and star Ryan Gosling currently attached.

The report from Variety points out that the Beall hire occurred while Marvel was assembling "The Avengers," so the move was more "in anticipation of — rather than a reaction to — the box office success." Though the actual hire took place months ago, Beall has yet to turn in a script.

Along the lines of the "Avengers" development pattern, Warner Bros. has also brought in a writer to take a swing at one of DC's biggest heroes, Wonder Woman. Michael Goldenberg, one of the three writers of "Green Lantern," will reportedly pen the script.

The other two "Green Lantern" writers, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green, are already at work on a screenplay for "The Flash."

Hiring Beall is Warner's first major step toward producing a "Justice League" film since production stalled out in 2008. Then, "Mad Max" director George Miller was set to helm the film with Adam Brody as the Flash, Megan Gale as Wonder Woman and a relatively unknown Armie Hammer as Batman. Warner Bros. claimed that a lack of tax breaks and the inability to hire a screenwriter to rewrite the script during the WGA strike stalled that version.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1686653/justice-league-movie.jhtml

I'm not suprised at all. I hope they actually put in the effort to make these movies awesome like Marvel did, and not just force this out to try and cash in off what The Avengers did. I also hope they don't bring Ryan Reynolds back as Green Lantern, I'd prefer they go with the John Stewart lantern.

JLA was one of my favorite team up comics, especially Grant Morrison's work at launch.

I have zero faith in their ability to do it the same justice that was given to Avengers. Maybe because most of the DC stuff (outside of the Batman relaunch) hasn't been all that good.

That being said, if they release a JLA movie, I will be there to see it on opening night.

• Upvote 1

It will be a miracle if they can somehow pull off a successful Wonder Woman movie. To do so with the brain trust that gave us the Green Lantern stinker is highly unlikely.

Superman and Batman are THE marquee superhero names. If the Superman reboot is a success, then this is a sure-fire box office goldmine.

Except that it will be a completely different Batman.

Except that it will be a completely different Batman.

Seeing as Christopher Nolan is practically taking over the DC movie slate I wouldn't be so sure of that. Bale said he would only do Batman again if Nolan was involved.

Seeing as Christopher Nolan is practically taking over the DC movie slate I wouldn't be so sure of that. Bale said he would only do Batman again if Nolan was involved.

Did Nolan say he was doing the Justice League movie and working on some of the other movies leading up to it as well? I honestly hadn't heard that. If he is, then my opinion on this will do a complete 180.

I'm still not sure how he pulls off a watchable Wonder Woman movie though.

This is also under the assumption that Nolan doesn't kill Batman in DKR.

Did Nolan say he was doing the Justice League movie and working on some of the other movies leading up to it as well? I honestly hadn't heard that. If he is, then my opinion on this will do a complete 180.

I'm still not sure how he pulls off a watchable Wonder Woman movie though.

He is currently the producer for the Man of Steel (superman) movie due out next year, and unconfirmed reports have him being involved in some shape or form with the other DC movies as well, much like how Kevin Feige had his hand in every marvel film as a producer leading up to and including the Avengers.

If he can give the same sense of realism across the platform, the same sense that everything is going on in the same universe because they all have a similar feel to them, like Marvel was able to pull off, then it has a chance of being amazing.

I'd obviously go and see it, but I'd have a hard time seeing Nolan transition from the gritty realism (i.e., no "powers") of the Batman movies to the super-powered alien vibe of Superman and Wonder Woman. Surely he is capable of it, but is it his style?

I'd obviously go and see it, but I'd have a hard time seeing Nolan transition from the gritty realism (i.e., no "powers") of the Batman movies to the super-powered alien vibe of Superman and Wonder Woman. Surely he is capable of it, but is it his style?

Man of Steel next year will be the test. Nolan is probably much more suited for the producer roll in this facet, to add his gritty realism to a director who would need that balance. Him teaming up with Zack Snyder might end up working out real well. If Snyder nails this one, I would not be surprised at all if he is the one who lands the Justice League helmsmen job, with Nolan producing again.

Or DC can just go ask Joss Whedon. He already proved he can do it, and he said he would love to do a JLA movie. DC already screwed up when they didn't green light his Wonder Woman movie, since they didn't think he could handle a big time film.