Bang Gundy

Rumor Thread for Next GM & Coach

83 members have voted

1. 1. GM

2. 2. Coach

Oh my god...

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

My man @Chris_Broussard, on ESPN's NBA Countdown, just reported Shaq could meet next week w/Magic to talk about GM job. Yes, that @SHAQ

Worst case scenario.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

In Orlando's stated intent to hire a GM with championship pedigree, Boston assistant GM Ryan McDonough's candidacy could gather momentum.

Are there any legitimate reasons why people keep on talking about Phil Jackson coming to Orlando other than he once mentioned that he would like to work with Dwight?

No, I don't think I did. The point that Barnette was making is that it's hard for a team to win it all without a consistent scorer in crunch time and we don't have that since Dwight can't be counted on to make free throws (correct me if I'm wrong Barnette). No coach is going to be able to fix a flawed roster like that. Then YaboyR threw out Shaq and Ben Wallace's names which unintentionally -at least, I think it was unintentional - supported the point that Barnette was making. Shaq never won a championship without a premier scorer playing next to him. Ben Wallace was never a scorer, period. Had either of those players been relied on as their team's primary scorer in the 4th quarter, I have serious reservations that Shaq would have won a championship and I damn sure know that Wallace wouldn't have won one.

It also should be pointed out, since his name was also thrown out there, that Duncan's worst free throw shooting year was 03-04 when he shot .599 from the charity stripe and his career average is .688. His playoff career average is .680. We should be so lucky.

I don't think that was his point. Barnettej was complaining about Dwight, but not as a 4th period scorer, just as a player because of his diva attitudes. I agree he was very bad at handling himself this season. But one thing does not have anything to do with the other.

Dwight with a decent sidekick and decent role players could net a ring, wherever he is. He is THAT good. The fact that he is a lousy FT shooter doesn't negate the superb aspects of his game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think that was his point. Barnettej was complaining about Dwight, but not as a 4th period scorer, just as a player because of his diva attitudes. I agree he was very bad at handling himself this season. But one thing does not have anything to do with the other.

Dwight with a decent sidekick and decent role players could net a ring, wherever he is. He is THAT good. The fact that he is a lousy FT shooter doesn't negate the superb aspects of his game.

His exact quote:

Either way, it comes down to the players anyways. If we have a Non Free Throw shooting Center, you can have Jesus as your HC and it still wont make a difference, because Dwight will still brick the Free Throw attempt.

Nowhere in his post did he comment about Dwight's "diva attitudes". That is you putting words in his mouth.

His exact quote:

Nowhere in his post did he comment about Dwight's "diva attitudes". That is you putting words in his mouth.

Hate when that happens... oh well.

Thanks Emory

Emory - "No, I don't think I did. The point that Barnette was making is that it's hard for a team to win it all without a consistent scorer in crunch time and we don't have that since Dwight can't be counted on to make free throws (correct me if I'm wrong Barnette). No coach is going to be able to fix a flawed roster like that. Then YaboyR threw out Shaq and Ben Wallace's names which unintentionally -at least, I think it was unintentional - supported the point that Barnette was making. Shaq never won a championship without a premier scorer playing next to him. Ben Wallace was never a scorer, period. Had either of those players been relied on as their team's primary scorer in the 4th quarter, I have serious reservations that Shaq would have won a championship and I damn sure know that Wallace wouldn't have won one.

It also should be pointed out, since his name was also thrown out there, that Duncan's worst free throw shooting year was 03-04 when he shot .599 from the charity stripe and his career average is .688. His playoff career average is .680. We should be so lucky."

Yes, that was the exact point I was making. The 2009 Finals should be an easy example of what happen when you fail at crunch time, on the free throw line, with no one covering you.... just you and the rim, okay and thousands of screaming fans. Besides being the finals, technically the situation should be no different than any of the other 90 games you have played or 900.

When your best weapon can only hit 58% Career from the line, he doesnt become effective enough to win the games down the stretch.. when its tied up and everyone is in the bonus.... where each whistle leads another challenger to the line of death.

Its why I said that Jesus could be the Head Coach and it wouldnt make a difference. The Coach cant shoot for him, cant play for him, or for anyone else in that matter.

This 2012 Magic roster couldnt beat the 1995-96 Vancouver Grizzlies ( Roster Here: http://www.basketbal...s/VAN/1996.html )

And now we cant just grab players without knowing what system we are playing in...... And we cant grab a Coach without knowing who are GM is....... We have literally dragged our feet one this one, and time is ticking.

His exact quote:

Since you like to nitpick, tell me where the hell, in his whole post, he mentions this as a 4th quarter issue, like you said before:

LMAO @ Scott Skiles being the Magic HC.

Look fella's, you think SVG was hard you havent seen nothing until you see how hard Scott Skiles is. You think D12 wont clash with another HC who is going to preach defense and playing all out for the entire length of the game?

Shaw is a favorite because he isnt these things, or should I say that Shaw isnt going to get in your grill like SVG, Sloan, and Skiles will. This can be a good thing and bad thing. This can either make players over achiever or create mass mutiny if the players dont believe in you. Its like having Bill Cower or a Tony Dungy, both are exceptional leaders in their own right and have had success. Then you have the Rex Ryans and Charlie Weis's, both are and have not had success with their leadership styles with their players.

Either way, it comes down to the players anyways. If we have a Non Free Throw shooting Center, you can have Jesus as your HC and it still wont make a difference, because Dwight will still brick the Free Throw attempt.

It looks like a very clear shot on Dwight. Not a shot on his 4th quarter abilities, but as a whole.

I mean, it would be much easier to talk about Duhon, JRich or anyone else in this flawer roster. But he said even with this HC he (DWIGHT) will not make his FT. I suppose Duhon will be better, though.