Sign in to follow this  
Justin Jaudon

If not Stan, Who?

I'll just say, I'm not advocating getting rid of Stan. I like Stan, for the most part. But all this talk, and everything that has happened here at the end of this season, I can't see him staying unless Orlando makes a deep run without Dwight.

So for the record, all of you who want Stan Van Gundy fired, give at least one coach who could actually be hired who would be better.

Avery Johnson. Higher win percentage and has won more games in the finals.

Mike Brown wouldn't be bad too, he has a higher win percentage than SVG but only one less finals victory.

• Downvote 1

Mike Brown wouldn't be bad too, he has a higher win percentage than SVG but only one less finals victory.

Holy ****.... :svgsad:

That's like saying...Who is going to be available to upgrade the team next season?

Look, we don't know that Stan is going to get fired.

We do not know who is going to be on this roster next season. There is the possibility of a lot of turnover -- lots of guys with team options and some with non-guaranteed contracts. That could affect the style the team is going to play and the person who you would want as coach.

We don't know all the people who are going to be available. Surely, there will be some people getting fired. And I don't know about you, but I'm guessing there are some talented coaches out there who basketball people know but we don't. How many of us had ever thought of Scotty Brooks before he got the OKC job? Or Doc Rivers before the Magic hired him?

Thanks for contributing, man :cheers:

People work full-time to lay the groundwork for these decisions.

All I know is that whoever the Magic choose to sign as head coach, I'll support him until there's capable sample size that warrants to do otherwise...

And that's (in the case of a new guy) a couple of seasons, minimum.

ok forget mike brown because he taught Lebron James how to choke in the 4th. He is considered a choking hazard like lebron.

And I don't know about you, but I'm guessing there are some talented coaches out there who basketball people know but we don't. How many of us had ever thought of Scotty Brooks before he got the OKC job?

You have to remember that its not like our team is really superb or anything. We dont have Kevin Durant and Westbrook kinda duo in here. We have one really good player and couple role players. I wouldn't say OKC that good coached. Look what happened last year when Durant went cold? You could say Phil Jackson is good coach. Even though Phil had Kobe. Kobe went cold against Boston but the team still managed to win.

I would rather watch Dwight go. Stan can get everything out of the team without superstars but Dwight cant get everything out of himself without another superstar.

• Downvote 1

People work full-time to lay the groundwork for these decisions.

All I know is that whoever the Magic choose to sign as head coach, I'll support him until there's capable sample size that warrants to do otherwise...

And that's (in the case of a new guy) a couple of seasons, minimum.

I agree. But people work full-time in Charlotte as well. And in Toronto. I'll support the new coach (if in fact they get one). I just would not get rid of a guy with one of the best track records in the business simply because Dwight is not happy with him. This whole season has been a zoo, from before it began. But winning heals a lot of wounds. My hope is that Stan and the boys find a way to get out of the first round of the playoffs, so maybe even Dwight will give him another shot. I think Dwight needs to buy into being part of a team again, not trying to carry a team (I think the rest of the team needs to buy into that as well). This team was at its best when everyone listened to Stan and everyone played a part. The problems really started when they started shaking up the whole roster every 6 months and no one was on the same page. Dwight has not handled the transitions as well as a more veteran player would, and he's aimed his frustrations at the coach. From all that has been reported over the last couple years, Stan has bent over backward to make the guy happy, but Dwight is obviously not appeased. I still have hope that healing can happen, though.

To get back on topic, I doubt getting some random assistant without head coaching experience is a good way to keep Dwight, even if there's good reason to think he'll be good. I mean, Brian Shaw got passed up for Mike Brown, and the Lakers organization is not usually stupid. If you want to win now, and Orlando needs to if they want to keep Dwight, you get someone with experience.

But the Laker's players are not happy with Mike Brown and his game plans. I'm of the thinking that it was the assistant coaches that did the decent job in Cleveland.

I'm not saying Mike Brown is a great coach or anything, I'm just saying he got the job over Shaw, a guy who the organization knew better than anyone else, and that has to be taken into account when thinking about Shaw. It's not a total deal-breaker or anything, but as an outside spectator, it gives me a lot of pause.

You have to remember that its not like our team is really superb or anything. We dont have Kevin Durant and Westbrook kinda duo in here. We have one really good player and couple role players. I wouldn't say OKC that good coached. Look what happened last year when Durant went cold? You could say Phil Jackson is good coach. Even though Phil had Kobe. Kobe went cold against Boston but the team still managed to win.

I would rather watch Dwight go. Stan can get everything out of the team without superstars but Dwight cant get everything out of himself without another superstar.

This is thinking with your heart instead of your head.

Some teams have literally never had a Top 3 NBA player on their roster.

Goodness Bauncey, really? Avery Johnson or Mike Brown?

Brown flat out sucks, as anyone who watched a fair share of Cleveland w/ LeBron games could tell you. King James was the coach of the Cavs, Brown was a virtual cheerleader. How blase' the Lakers players have been under Brown as opposed to the Phil days should speak volumes; they think this guy is a joke. Because he is.

Avery Johnson.. if you think Dwight can't get along with Stan, I couldn't imagine what it would be like with Avery! Nuclear disaster is the phrase that comes to mind.

As far as who I think the Magic should go after?

Jerry Sloan.. Brian Shaw is a really good idea, because the Magic seems to like Magic alumni in as many positions as they can, and Shaw qualifies on that front as a former Magic player, but with a ton of assistant coach experience.. definitely the smartest choice among the assistants in my opinion. I 'd like to pry Rick Adelman from Minnesota, because qutie frankly Adelman was my first choice over SVG before he even came here.

Here's another idea.. why not make Brenden Malone or Patrick Ewing the head coach? (If Ewing was head coach, I'd want Malone still on staff to help him) I mean, if Stan's personality is the problem Dwight and some players have, and not the Xs and Os, then that would fix a bunch of problems, right?

In conclusion.. NO college coaches. We need someone Dwight would at least have a bit of confidence in. Not to mention the other players, fans, etc.