Sign in to follow this  
Justin Jaudon

If not Stan, Who?

I'll just say, I'm not advocating getting rid of Stan. I like Stan, for the most part. But all this talk, and everything that has happened here at the end of this season, I can't see him staying unless Orlando makes a deep run without Dwight.

So for the record, all of you who want Stan Van Gundy fired, give at least one coach who could actually be hired who would be better.

I'll just say, I'm not advocating getting rid of Stan. I like Stan, for the most part. But all this talk, and everything that has happened here at the end of this season, I can't see him staying unless Orlando makes a deep run without Dwight.

So for the record, all of you who want Stan Van Gundy fired, give at least one coach who could actually be hired who would be better.

They just react. They have no idea who to replace him with.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Shaw or Malone's kid would be my top choices. Probably Malone's kid because I think he keeps his dad on the staff. I credit Brendan Malone with beating Cleveland in 09 more than Stan. He's the one who designed the defense.

There are tons of good assistants out there whose names we don't know that could be the next great head coach.

That's like saying...Who is going to be available to upgrade the team next season?

Look, we don't know that Stan is going to get fired.

We do not know who is going to be on this roster next season. There is the possibility of a lot of turnover -- lots of guys with team options and some with non-guaranteed contracts. That could affect the style the team is going to play and the person who you would want as coach.

We don't know all the people who are going to be available. Surely, there will be some people getting fired. And I don't know about you, but I'm guessing there are some talented coaches out there who basketball people know but we don't. How many of us had ever thought of Scotty Brooks before he got the OKC job? Or Doc Rivers before the Magic hired him?

I'm just hoping Larry Brown definitely gets hired by SMU or someone else first because I wouldn't want to listen to him every day when he talks about the team, and as crazy as this team is now, no telling what he would want done to it.

• Upvote 1

Okay. Two names so far. Not bad. Moving quickly.

I don't see any reason to believe either of those guys would have more success than Stan. Neither have any experience to speak of. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people who use Stan not playing an unproven journeyman point guard as an excuse to fire him would suggest unproven assistants. So far I'm not impressed.

Don't want Stan fired but don't want to lose Dwight even more. According to YaBoyR Dwight wants to stay permanently and will if we lose SVG.

The ring king

Darryl Armstrong

Barkley

any of several great college coaches

Mark Price?

Don't want Stan fired but don't want to lose Dwight even more. According to YaBoyR Dwight wants to stay permanently and will if we lose SVG.

The ring king

Darryl Armstrong

Barkley

any of several great college coaches

Mark Price?

Barkley? Really?

I love Armstrong, but another assistant with no real reason to think he would be better. And didn't he just get arrested recently?

Which college coaches, exactly? Billy Donovan didn't really work out (even though I actually think he would do well with the current Orlando roster).

Mark Price? The shooting coach? You want to promote the shooting coach to head coach over Stan Van Gundy?

Barkley? Really? Why not Hakeem? Or Kenny the Jet? Or Clyde the Glide? Maybe Sam Cassell? How about Robert Horry?