Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Game of Thrones

Love the show, season 1 when

Ned was beheaded at the sept of Baelor

was one of the most shocking/compelling scenes Ive seen on television.

Season 2 is good so far, the forced sex scenes seem really out of place however. Especially the last 2 episodes. I just hope they don't somehow transform this show into another trueblood *shivers*

Love the show, season 1 when

Ned was beheaded at the sept of Baelor

was one of the most shocking/compelling scenes Ive seen on television.

Season 2 is good so far, the forced sex scenes seem really out of place however. Especially the last 2 episodes. I just hope they don't somehow transform this show into another trueblood *shivers*

The explicit nature of the show is inherent to the books as well. This is why the show pretty much had to be on HBO or another premium cable channel. The "shocking" spoiler you reference was in the book as well. Kudos to the show's producers for sticking with that instead of caving to the more traditional "star driven" norms of televsion.

Breaking Bad: I dunno about this one. I honestly hate every character in this show (especially his damn wife and kid) and I'm not committed as of yet beyond the first season that I've recently completed.

Do you have something against "special" people?

I don't remember any forced sex scenes in GoT...maybe I just blocked them out.

As far as network goes, I also like Last Man Standing, which is like Modern Family X Home Improvement. Good clean fun...

I havent checked out breaking bad yet, but I do like Justified.

Breaking Bad: I dunno about this one. I honestly hate every character in this show (especially his damn wife and kid) and I'm not committed as of yet beyond the first season that I've recently completed.

Im currently catching up with Breaking Bad and I also cannot stand his *****ing wife, shes annoying and a *****, Season 1 was pretty intense.

Tuco the drug lord was *****ing nuts lol

Here's my take:

Game of Thrones is definitely the best FANTASY show out there right now. The show has tons of action and great writing while also staying pretty loyal to the source material. here is my list ( in no particular order) of the best shows out now:

Spartacus : If you really like comical amounts of blood and violence then show def fills that void. While a lot of people would write the show off because of all the nudity and gore, they are really missing out on one of the best written action shows of the year. The show definitely pulls no punches with its characters as EVERYONE is expendable and it definitely keeps you on your toes from week to week. I would also say that the finale to season 1.5 was one of the most action packed hours of TV I have ever seen.

Breaking Bad: LOVE bryan cranston and how his character is becoming the monster that he has had to battle against the past few seasons. His wife should def b written out as she is easily the most annoying character in that series, it seems like her whole arc is to be the biggest barrier for progress in the family. The writing seems to fluctuate on quality between episodes but when the script calls for tension, it is felt in spades. Overall, I cannot WAIT to see what happens with the power vacuum that Walter has created and how his relationship with Jesse evolves. I never really like the character Jesse but his involvement with Gale really sold the character for me.

Mad Men: Amazingly well-written show. If you dont like "wordy" dramas that require you to read between the lines on every scene, stay far away. For me the real stars of the show are Roger Sterling and Pete Campbell as, for me anyways, the represent the central theme of the show, the "Old Guard" and "progress", respectively.

The Walking Dead: Good zombie show. I have a friend that worked on the production for the second season and he explained to me that the biggest reason why it wasn't as good as the first was mainly due to budgeting/marketing. It is def more dramatic than intended so that the show can hit its female demo ( Which surprisingly, is a large share of their audience). The fact that most of the season was set at a farm was largely due to budget issues and changing vision as there was a change in producers towards the end of the first season. I have heard that gong forward, the story will stick closer to the source material, pus the got the ninja chick so the show really can only get batter form here.

Honorable Mention: ( I really didn't want to bore anymore people by writing more stuff , so here is just the rest of the list.)

House

Justified

Hell on Wheels ( great show on AMC)

Homeland

and obviously, Game of Thrones

Im currently catching up with Breaking Bad and I also cannot stand his *****ing wife, shes annoying and a *****, Season 1 was pretty intense.

Tuco the drug lord was *****ing nuts lol

You just wait, the episodes with Tuco's uncle in the 2nd season are still some of my favourites.

I've watched all 4 seasons, waiting for the 5th

Fine I'll be the little comic book nerd here. Avatar: Legend of Korra and Young Justice. Boo yah.

There is no shame in being super excited about Legend of Korra. I'm a grown ass man, and I honestly think that The Last Airbender might me my favorite show of all time (My nerdiness trumps your nerdiness, haha). My 3-year-old watches it on Netflix now, and every time it's on, I find myself sitting down with him and just enjoying what a great show, with such a unique sense of humor, that was.

As far as Game of Thrones, I love what they're doing with the show. I won't give any spoilers, but Martin kinda made me mad with Dance with Dragons, and the way it ended. I can't even imagine how the studio will deal with that much crazy. The TVland people don't have the patience that readers do.

And there is WAY too much forced sex in the show. There was plenty in the books, yes, but the absurd amount added to get pervs to watch kinda makes me mad, because instead of having great characters like the Blackfish, or even giving more screen time to the books' most interesting character (The Hound), we have Esme Bianco being used for the dual purpose of getting the pervs to stick around and to give more screen time to Littlefinger and the "big star" that is Aidan Gillen. The overuse of the gay scenes with Renly and Loras are a bit much for me as well. It's not that I have an issue with gay stuff in the show (makes me gag, but I'm not gay so I suppose that doesn't make me a bigot or anything), it's just that these characters are more ambiguous in the books, and at least for Renly it made him more interesting. You aren't sure what to think about him. Honestly I think it's just art suffering for the sake of getting the gay people to watch the show, but I'd rather replace those scenes with more of the Hound and the Direwolves. Or just even more Tyrion (i guarantee, if Dinklage hadn't taken the role, the show would never have been picked up).

Speaking of the Hound, does anyone notice that that is the "Yarp" guy from Hot Fuzz. Awesome.

Also, I don't like the way they are portraying Sam. I can't think of the show's version of him without thinking he's just creepy. Overly concerned with girls. The book Sam wasn't like this at all. We don't really get in the show that he is really smart.

That all being said, it's a great show, far more interesting and fun than any other fantasy show done on TV to this point.

The best character jobs so far: Arya, and in her short time on the show so far Melisandre (there could have been no other choice for this role than Carice Van Houten)

There is no shame in being super excited about Legend of Korra. I'm a grown ass man, and I honestly think that The Last Airbender might me my favorite show of all time (My nerdiness trumps your nerdiness, haha). My 3-year-old watches it on Netflix now, and every time it's on, I find myself sitting down with him and just enjoying what a great show, with such a unique sense of humor, that was.

And just to reply to this now, Korra is rapidly gaining on Game of thrones for my favorite show on television. Seriously freaking good.