TheOrlandoTragic

Sources: Howard demands SVG to be fired

I don't really disagree with any of this, other than Pau not being a shot blocker in Memphis. He had a couple seasons over 2 a game there. Over two a game is not even just solid, it's quite productive.

My whole point was that if Dwight demands a trade, could Orlando succeed with him at the 5. Gasol was the 5 in 08 when the Lakers went to the finals (Bynum missed almost all of the second half of the season and the playoffs). I don't think it would be a good idea to pay him what Gasol is making, but with his coming off an injury, I doubt they would have to. If he's healthy, I'd say he could (based solely on his numbers, again, since I haven't seen him play much) be worth close to 10 a year. He should never be a first option on any team, but as a number two guy he could be worth it. But this is all just speculative on my part, based on his numbers and reputation.

Fair enough on your above points.

The only reason why Gasol succeeded in LA where he failed in Memphis was "Kobe". You could of put Marc Gasol on that team and still have the same outcome. And if you recall, LA gave nothing up for Gasol.... It was extremely one sided where LA benefited.

Which is why Lopez wouldn't work in a Magic uniform. We don't have a Top 5 perimeter player, not even a Top 20 or possibly 30.

The league is not made for Centers, and is designed for optimal scoring, primarily by wing players. If we had proven one, then Lopez would be a compliment.

But we don't have that proven wing player and have been in need of one since Tracy McGrady. If you were to rebuild, that should be the focus since the league has conformed to them.

If Brook Lopez is worthy of being centered around any trade talk involving Dwight, then how come NJ has chosen not to/been unable to trade him for worthwhile pieces that may fit a D12 trade better? I agree with whoever thinks we should stay away from Brook, uness we can trade him for a lottery pick in this years draft.

Nothing personal against him, I just feel like the 'need' to have a franchise center is overrated to the point where otherwise 'worldly' talents get thrust into these roles and just can't handle them. This franchise doesn't need more disappointment so unless trading Dwight gets us NJ's pick + a potential lottery pick for Brook + Crash/Brooks then I say let Dwight walk if its his intention.

If Dwight truly asks Alex to fire SVG after playoffs, I really hope Alex looks him straight in the eyes and says 'no' plainly.

Marc, with regard to post #794: Fair enough, I think you misunderstood my original comment and it went on an unnecessary tangent though. I am a full supporter of SVG and his abilities, its well documented. I was simply stating (the obvious) that mentioning exceptions does nothing to support an argument unless its made of straw.

The trade with LA is the only one I've heard that makes any sense. Bynum (and picks) for Dwight, is as fair as we're going to get.

That said? We need to try to keep Dwight AND SVG. Hopefully a good playoff run with Dwight injured will convince Dwight that, despite personality conflicts, SVG really is a good coach. I mean, Phil Jackson and Kobe really didn't get along, but it didn't prevent them winning a championship together.

I've always thought that, if SVG has one problem, it's that he defers to Dwight too much. Too many plays are force-feeding Dwight down low and it leads to turnovers or the other team just fouling Dwight (where, if we're lucky, he hits 50% of them). It slows things down, it allows the opposing defense to collapse, it opens up the three-point shooters. I get it.

So does everyone else.

Dwight is not an offensive machine like Shaq (or Kareem, or Wilt) were: he's more in line with Bill Russell. I really wish he'd realize that. Bill Russell's numbers?

15ppg, 22rpg

Of course, Bill could only snag ELEVEN CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS, so why should Dwight try to emulate THAT, right?

I know big scorers get the endorsements and the ESPN highlights. I know Dwight wants to see replays of him dunking on people. Who doesn't? But I think this team would be far more effective if the offensive focus were less Dwight, and I wish Dwight were actually okay with that.

• Upvote 1

The trade with LA is the only one I've heard that makes any sense. Bynum (and picks) for Dwight, is as fair as we're going to get.

That said? We need to try to keep Dwight AND SVG. Hopefully a good playoff run with Dwight injured will convince Dwight that, despite personality conflicts, SVG really is a good coach. I mean, Phil Jackson and Kobe really didn't get along, but it didn't prevent them winning a championship together.

I've always thought that, if SVG has one problem, it's that he defers to Dwight too much. Too many plays are force-feeding Dwight down low and it leads to turnovers or the other team just fouling Dwight (where, if we're lucky, he hits 50% of them). It slows things down, it allows the opposing defense to collapse, it opens up the three-point shooters. I get it.

So does everyone else.

Dwight is not an offensive machine like Shaq (or Kareem, or Wilt) were: he's more in line with Bill Russell. I really wish he'd realize that. Bill Russell's numbers?

15ppg, 22rpg

Of course, Bill could only snag ELEVEN CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS, so why should Dwight try to emulate THAT, right?

I know big scorers get the endorsements and the ESPN highlights. I know Dwight wants to see replays of him dunking on people. Who doesn't? But I think this team would be far more effective if the offensive focus were less Dwight, and I wish Dwight were actually okay with that.

Absolutely. This team is at its best when Dwight and four other players are around 15-18ppg and Dwight is locking down the center. Every game where Dwight puts up 30 usually is a loss or extremely close win.

Absolutely. This team is at its best when Dwight and four other players are around 15-18ppg and Dwight is locking down the center. Every game where Dwight puts up 30 usually is a loss or extremely close win.

To his credit, Dwight became a much better passer this year, and that's a huge part of it. Honestly, if Dwight could get his FT percentage up to 70% or so, all this goes out the window - defenses don't benefit from fouling him and they they won't be able to play him one on one.

But one-dimensional teams are in trouble and teams that rely on the 3-point line eventually go cold. Just from past quotes, it sounds like Stan is telling his players to quit settling for 3-point shots. Take them when they're open, but stop shooting fadeaway 3's with 7 left on the clock.

Hopefully this postseason will shake the rest of the team out of that mindset, regardless of whether Dwight's down low.

Well, I don't know what to expect of Lopez after his injuries, but I certainly don't think it means we can expect him to be more explosive or jump higher.

To me, you couldn't have Lopez and Ryan Anderson on the same team because their games are too similar. Now, if you would prefer to let Ryan go and play Lopez instead, that is something that could be considered. If I had to choose between just the two of them, it depends on what you do with the rest of the roster and what style of play the Magic intend to play next season.

I wouldn't even compare Lopez to Pau, really. Pau might be the best passing big man in the league right now in addition to being a decent rebounder and a good jump shooter with a pretty good hook shot.

If the Magic are going to keep a significant number of the players they have on the team now, they need a really good defensive player as well as someone who is a good post player. Preferably, that's Dwight. If he insists on leaving, you must look at other options. I hope it doesn't come to that. But that wouldn't be Brook Lopez for me. Then every player on the team basically would be a jump shooter except for Big Baby.

And again, you would need someone who could be a difference maker. I did not see in Lopez's first few seasons in New Jersey that he made that team a winner. With Dwight and Jameer together, the Magic have been a winner. Jameer has been key to that. But so has Dwight and the things he brings to the team.