Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

The Super Colossal Mega-Awesome 2013 Offseason Move (Insert Echo-Effect) Thread, Thread, Thread, Thread

It really reveals how awful this team's individual defensive performance has been the last few years when someone can say that QRich is a lockdown defender and actually think it's true.

....... man you have to warn me about these types of statements from above.... water went everywhere when I read that QRich is a lock down defender... I mean when did that happen?

Just the other night he fell asleep on his guy who did a back screen and scored on him easily, not to mention his constant fouling of other players that puts them on the line. Im hoping people dont think that is being a lock down defender..... if so, the Duhon is the best defender in the NBA

I like Q Rich for the attitude he brings, but he's too lead-footed to be considered a "lockdown defender". He doesn't do well against guys who are signficantly quicker than him

1. The only lockdown defender in that lineup is Dwight. Smith's man to man defense is only a hair above average; his defensive value is as a weakside help-defender. I'm not even sure who you think the third lockdown defender would be.

2. Joe Johnson can only put up big numbers when he's allowed to dominate the ball in a way he never would or should be allowed to here and because he played huge minutes. Adjust his minutes and usage to league average, and suddenly Johnson is....well, Hedo Turkoglu 3 years ago with average defense, but for 5x as much money.

Don't ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,and ever compare Joe Johnson to Hedo Turkoglu.

Don't ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,and ever compare Joe Johnson to Hedo Turkoglu.

Wow. Someone is putting me in the position of having to defend Hedo Turkoglu. My goodness.

But whatever, it's the truth: The year Hedo won MIP, he was a more effective player than Joe Johnson has been in any year of his career.

My issue is I don't think a team with JJ, Smooth and D12 wins it all.

You don't watch the Hawks enough,Jsmoove is becoming a beast and can play both pf,sf positions and a great defensive player,Joe is a player who can create his own shot in crunchtime,yeah his contract sucks but he is still the 2nd best sg in the East.Add those 2 with Dwight=Championship contender.

Unless you're saying that something is "not cease to exist", I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The team only has around 32m in committed salary that year, and about 9m of THAT isn't guaranteed.

If that's true excuse my faulty math. By my calculations, without Dwight, we have 33 million in committed salary or something close, 32 million works. Dwight will make somewhere around 19 million bringing us to 51 million. If we resign Ryan Anderson at say...6 million we will be at 57 million. Plus whatever the rookies we draft make... 2 million we'll say.

That brings us to 59 million in committed salary.

I'm just trying to work through this and by no means at all am I a cap guy. If I'm wrong just show me where I missed something.

You don't watch the Hawks enough,Jsmoove is becoming a beast and can play both pf,sf positions and a great defensive player,Joe is a player who can create his own shot in crunchtime,yeah his contract sucks but he is still the 2nd best sg in the East.Add those 2 with Dwight=Championship contender.

:panicworker:

lol no way in hell joe johnson is the 2nd best sg in the east... lol iggie is for sure

I suppose one could argue that Joe Johnson is the 2nd best sg in the East on the technicality that true shooting guards and combo wings should be counted separately, eliminating guys like Iggy and Granger. But even then, I'd rather have Wade or Ray Allen for the Magic if money is no object, and if we take into account salary, there are a dozen SGs I'd rather have than Johnson.

I suppose one could argue that Joe Johnson is the 2nd best sg in the East on the technicality that true shooting guards and combo wings should be counted separately, eliminating guys like Iggy and Granger. But even then, I'd rather have Wade or Ray Allen for the Magic if money is no object, and if we take into account salary, there are a dozen SGs I'd rather have than Johnson.

If money were no object I wouldn't mind joe johnson on the magic. He fits our offense and can put jameer off the ball. He can reasonably play three positions which allows for some match up creativity.

I think one of the best qualities of the finals team was hedo was the de facto point guard and that allowed us to play lee-pietrus-hedo lineups. That is a lot of length and defense at the guard spots

Right now we don't have the personnel to set up that kind of lineup so a hedo johnson swap in a lineup doesn't really do anything different than what we're doing now.

Really Ray Allen? Maybe for the minimum. Johnson has been one of the most consistent SG's for the past 7 years. His contract sucks and we definatley shouldnt take him if we have other options. But the guy does produce, and him teaming up with dwight, that would not be a bad pick up. Why is everyone so picky on who we get? If they play up to their contract (and Johnson does, guys an all-star if ya didnt remember) who cares who we get as long as it makes diwght happy and he stays for the long term. Everyone is set on the free agent market at the end of the 2013 season. Do you really think we are gonna gamble on Dwight by waiting for his decision at the end of the season and take the chance that he may walk? No way! That means that were going all in this offseason. Were gonna have to shed massive salary space and probably move our few decent players that means no more Ryan, JJ, and possibly no Jameer. We'll most likely look to move J-rich and Hedo for what its worth, but it will be hard. Johnson and maybe Josh Smith are probably our best bet maybe even Crawford, but I dont see him as much of an upgrade. People need to stop hanging onto this Chris Paul/ Deron Williams dream. Its not gonna happen. Look for us to take on a bloated contract for a consistent scorer like Johnsons we need to make some move to keep dwight.