Sign in to follow this  
KandiKane

Kyrie Irving chooses USA over Australia

Simple, Australia or USA?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Simple, Australia or USA?

• Australia
    • USA

Kyrie Irving has just come out and said he will not play for Australia at the London 2012 Olympics. Kyrie holds dual citizenship to Australia and the United States. He was born in Melbourne when his father was playing professionally. Kyrie has spent majority of his life in the United States, moving there when he was 2.

Yes he is an American and I would consider him barely an Australian (lucky enough to have citizenship to both countries). But if given the opportunity to play for either team, who would you choose? I think it would have to be Australia. Reasons? He will be 20 years old when the Olympics commence, how many players would be able to participate in 4-6 Olympic campaigns? 4 players have played in 5. He could easily accomplish that and along the way set many records.

On the other hand, by choosing team USA he would be pulling on the greatest team jersey in the history of basketball... though he is not guaranteed to play, and if he does make the team how many Olympic campaigns could he be part of? 1... maybe 2?

Thoughts?

Well, he was just the number 1 pick and he'll be really young for the next Olympics and team USA likes young players. He made the right choice

Well, he was just the number 1 pick and he'll be really young for the next Olympics and team USA likes young players. He made the right choice

He's not sniffing a roster ahead of Paul, Williams or Rose. There are so many talented point guards in the league this year that I have a hard time seeing him making the Olympic roster. He probably gets an invite to the practice squad and that's it.

Its the whole just being a player who played for USA. Or being the player who was a superstar on the Australian team.

He's not sniffing a roster ahead of Paul, Williams or Rose. There are so many talented point guards in the league this year that I have a hard time seeing him making the Olympic roster. He probably gets an invite to the practice squad and that's it.

His decision not to play for Aus was because the USA basketballteam and Coach K said Coach K will be the coach for the 2016 Olympics, in which Kyrie is aiming for. Coach K being Kyrie's last coach... this does not surprise me.

Maybe those don't want to play in the olympics

Maybe those don't want to play in the olympics

I guarantee Rose will want to, provided he isn't injured. I would bet on the other two guys playing together again as well. Even assuming that they won't though, there are still a ton of very talented young point guards just waiting for the chance. Irving will have a very tough time making the squad and that's with Coach K making the cuts.

Exactly what i was thinking too. Then there is also westbook and rondo. Kyrie is good but even at his prime will not be better than any of the above mentioned. Atleast with Australia he would have got some playing time and maybe a silver or bronze.