Sign in to follow this  
Iron Magic 904

Yahoo Sports

Close. My anger is towards people (and it appears that it's the majority of people) that feel this story is not racist simply because it's not black.

Racism is racism, regardless of which race it is intended for. But I fail to see what the author of that headline hoped to gain from that headline if his intentions were purely malicious. Baring insanity, I like to believe everyone does something for a reason; to benefit themselves in some way. All this did was get him fired. It's probable that this was just a poor choice of words. And the problem with your comparison, Trey, between chink and "the N word" is that chink has multiple, clearly inoffensive meanings. "Chink in the armor" is a relatively commonplace phrase, particularly in the not so creative realm of sports journalism, and it has no racial implications as a standalone phrase. The man who put that headline up failed, because he should not have been so oblivious to not think that people would make that connection, and he deserved to be fired. I just see no reason to assume his intentions were to make a racial slur toward Lin and that there is no other explanation. He was punished for an oversight at best and a blatant racial epithet at worst. Either way, he got what he deserved.

• Upvote 2

Racism is racism, regardless of which race it is intended for. But I fail to see what the author of that headline hoped to gain from that headline if his intentions were purely malicious. Baring insanity, I like to believe everyone does something for a reason; to benefit themselves in some way. All this did was get him fired. It's probable that this was just a poor choice of words. And the problem with your comparison, Trey, between chink and "the N word" is that chink has multiple, clearly inoffensive meanings. "Chink in the armor" is a relatively commonplace phrase, particularly in the not so creative realm of sports journalism, and it has no racial implications as a standalone phrase. The man who put that headline up failed, because he should not have been so oblivious to not think that people would make that connection, and he deserved to be fired. I just see no reason to assume his intentions were to make a racial slur toward Lin and that there is no other explanation. He was punished for an oversight at best and a blatant racial epithet at worst. Either way, he got what he deserved.

Not that I can speak for Trey either, but I think possibly some way to describe it is that if someone used, in this argument for example, the "n word", there would be a bigger issue made out of it than if someone had said "chink". They are obviously both offensive words when used against someone, but using the n word in a discussion about racism is not really using it as an offensive word, it's simply referring to the word used. However, in this instance, the very fact that people are terrified to even type the word itself, suggests that it's "worse" to use that word instead of the word "chink", even though both could be equally offensive if used against someone of whichever ethnicity.

That's because the United States has a much bigger history with one word than the other, so people will be more sensitive towards it.

The problem with Trey is that he believes everything is black or white. There's no common ground. And what's worse is that he's so sure of things he has no idea about, we actually have to read them. There's no way the guy that wrote it was absolutely oblivious to the racial tone. There's no way that guy was just making a bad pun and didn't think people would jump on him like that. There's no way that guy was slightly racist but didn't mean to be for the headline. No. . . he was extremely racist and it's a shame EVERYONE cares more about blacks than Asian-Americans.