Sign in to follow this  
Iron Magic 904

Yahoo Sports

Im aggravated about this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/whether-intentional-not-espn-since-deleted-headline-jeremy-192208429.html

Are people really this soft? Maybe im touching on something Im not supposed to but dang tho. Because they said "Chink" in the armor? Now when I first read this topic I thoought they were referring to the "Armor" reference. This guy picked out the "Chink" part. OMG. When the lakers were on that amazing run, back to back titles and started losing consecutive games, ESPN asked an analyst, "Is there a "Chink in the Armor" with the Lakers losing all these games?" So now its not a saying its a ethical reference? Look, America needs to stop being soft, thats why we are going down now. Jeremy Lin is fun and talented. Lets enjoy this man and stop reminding people he is Asian, and remember he is a basketball player.

Im aggravated about this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/whether-intentional-not-espn-since-deleted-headline-jeremy-192208429.html

Are people really this soft? Maybe im touching on something Im not supposed to but dang tho. Because they said "Chink" in the armor? Now when I first read this topic I thoought they were referring to the "Armor" reference. This guy picked out the "Chink" part. OMG. When the lakers were on that amazing run, back to back titles and started losing consecutive games, ESPN asked an analyst, "Is there a "Chink in the Armor" with the Lakers losing all these games?" So now its not a saying its a ethical reference? Look, America needs to stop being soft, thats why we are going down now. Jeremy Lin is fun and talented. Lets enjoy this man and stop reminding people he is Asian, and remember he is a basketball player.

Did you read the whole article?

Did you read the whole article?

I thought the correct term was "Gook"..... But I might be generalizing. I guess they could have used "Charlie", or "VC", though that could have been confusing. We need a dictionary of optional words to use when we write, so we don't say something that might upset "Mick" Jagger or "John Wayne" Gacy.

I believe that I will just pay for the whole table instead of being accused of going "Dutch", since that is my ethnic background. We need to have a "stiff upper lip" (sorry Brits), not even consider talking about people like Nazi Mohammed. And we should never, ever, mention Ron Jeremy.

I thought the correct term was "Gook"..... But I might be generalizing. I guess they could have used "Charlie", or "VC", though that could have been confusing. We need a dictionary of optional words to use when we write, so we don't say something that might upset "Mick" Jagger or "John Wayne" Gacy.

I believe that I will just pay for the whole table instead of being accused of going "Dutch", since that is my ethnic background. We need to have a "stiff upper lip" (sorry Brits), not even consider talking about people like Nazi Mohammed. And we should never, ever, mention Ron Jeremy.

Pretty much all you can say on the matter. Those who are actively looking for racism will always find it. Maybe if it had said "Half a chink in the armor" it would have been racist. Who knows.

You guys are all morons, and incredibly racist. My biggest problem with this whole thing was the general public thinking it's no big deal because apparently something can only be racist if it's referring to black people. If the article said "N" in the armor" you would all be flipping out, but it's all good to offend Asians, because they're not black.

Truth be told, I will probably get banned for saying "n", which is funny because nobody gets banned for saying chink. So for the mod who bans me, have fun knowing you're a racist, because you get offended by the "n word" but not the "c word".

• Downvote 1

You guys are all morons, and incredibly racist. My biggest problem with this whole thing was the general public thinking it's no big deal because apparently something can only be racist if it's referring to black people. If the article said "N" in the armor" you would all be flipping out, but it's all good to offend Asians, because they're not black.

Truth be told, I will probably get banned for saying "n", which is funny because nobody gets banned for saying chink. So for the mod who bans me, have fun knowing you're a racist, because you get offended by the "n word" but not the "c word".

Jesus Christ Trey. I do agree that no one should be using the word chink.....particularly as a pun for a headline. That doesn't excuse you from being an obnoxious ***hole though. None of the mods have even posted in this thread and yet you seem to have no issue jumping to the conclusion that they are racist without any real reason for doing so. Does your blanket accusation fall on everyone that clicked on this thread? Did you conduct some kind of research to determine that the "general public" doesn't find offense in Asian ethnic slurs or did you just pull something out of your ***? You spewing off an angry tirade on a message board does not help people to come around to your point of view.

I hope you were drunk posting because at least then you would have some kind of an excuse. If not, then you are being a bigger d*****bag than I ever gave you credit for.

I love it when people on here come up with some theory about why we will ban them, then create an entire story to go along with it about how we are racists.

First thing I would say is since there is no phrase in the English language (at least that I've ever heard in my lifetime) that refers to a defect in someones game/abilities called "n" in the armor I would say that yes someone who were to use that phrase was intentionally using a racial slur. Next, since the definition of the word "chink" is a small cleft, slit, or fissure or a weak spot that may leave one vulnerable with it's first known use being in 1535 ( My link ) I'm going to go ahead and say that everyone in the history of man that has ever used that word in that phrase is probably not a racist.

What this broadcaster is guilty of is not being aware of what is going on media wise around Jeremy Lin. This story is very much under the microscope right now so EVERYTHING that is being broadcasted is being picked apart for any signs of racism especially after there have been morons who actually did make inappropriate comments. He absolutely should have thought more about his phrasing but even Jeremy Lin has come out and said that he doesn't think this was intentional.

And yes I am editing your post because you posting "n" could offend someone else reading this thread, does that mean that you are a racist? I don't think you are, I just think you did a piss poor job of trying to make a point.

First, yes I was drunk. However, I was also correct. Could I have worded it better? Of course I could've, and probably would have had I been sober. My point remains though, which is, people for some reason only feel black slurs are offensive.

Example, Acres here did a piss poor job defending the headline (the fact that he's even defending it drives my point home). Do I really need to hear the definition of the word chink? No, I know it. Do I need to know when the phrase "chink in the armor" was first used? Again, no, I've heard it. Are we all that naive to believe the headline was an accident? Apparently. How about this, remember when the fan threw the banana on the ice at Wayne Simmonds? Was that racist or is Acres gonna give me a lecture on when the first banana was eaten?

Both were racist, only one received an outcry. Here's another example, Raffi Torres painted himself black and was Jay Z for Halloween. Everyone thinks he's racist. Dwyane Wade paints himself white and was Justin Timberlake for Halloween. Everyone thinks he's hilarious. It's all or nothing, they either both are racist or they're both not. My opinion, they weren't.

Let's not pretend that ESPN doesn't love to play on words in headlines. An article about Jeremy Lin with the headline "Chink In The Armor" is racist. If LeBron chokes in the playoffs and the headline is "Spooked", that's racist as well. Only one of those will offend people, and that's my point.

First, yes I was drunk. However, I was also correct. Could I have worded it better? Of course I could've, and probably would have had I been sober. My point remains though, which is, people for some reason only feel black slurs are offensive.

Example, Acres here did a piss poor job defending the headline (the fact that he's even defending it drives my point home). Do I really need to hear the definition of the word chink? No, I know it. Do I need to know when the phrase "chink in the armor" was first used? Again, no, I've heard it. Are we all that naive to believe the headline was an accident? Apparently. How about this, remember when the fan threw the banana on the ice at Wayne Simmonds? Was that racist or is Acres gonna give me a lecture on when the first banana was eaten?

Both were racist, only one received an outcry. Here's another example, Raffi Torres painted himself black and was Jay Z for Halloween. Everyone thinks he's racist. Dwyane Wade paints himself white and was Justin Timberlake for Halloween. Everyone thinks he's hilarious. It's all or nothing, they either both are racist or they're both not. My opinion, they weren't.

Let's not pretend that ESPN doesn't love to play on words in headlines. An article about Jeremy Lin with the headline "Chink In The Armor" is racist. If LeBron chokes in the playoffs and the headline is "Spooked", that's racist as well. Only one of those will offend people, and that's my point.

You honestly think that using a known phrase vs using a made up phrase that you created just to insert a racial slur is the same thing? Is throwing a banana on the ice something that is done to every hockey player or was it something that was done specifically to a black hockey player? I also find it difficult to understand how you can compare someone using a known phrase with someone painting themselves in black face or painting themselves white.

If if makes me naive to believe that this guy made an honest mistake then I'm good with that. Have you read anything further on this or have you decided to pass judgement on him without any further research into the matter? Did you notice that a member of the company was suspended for the same thing? Are both of them racist's?

"Federico, 28, said he understands why he was axed. "ESPN did what they had to do," he said.

He said he has used the phrase "at least 100 times" in headlines over the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story."

If he uses that phrase in a conversation about Amare Stoudamire is he suggesting that Amare is Asian?

"A gracious Lin, who led the Knicks to another dazzling hardwood victory Sunday, gave Federico and Bretos the benefit of the doubt.

"They've apologized, and so from my end, I don't care anymore," Lin said. "You have to learn to forgive, and I don't even think that was intentional."

Bretos, too, said he didn't think of the slur Wednesday when he asked Knicks legend Walt (Clyde) Frazier about Lin on the air.

"If there is a chink in the armor, where can he improve his game?" Bretos asked.

The moment passed almost entirely without notice. A video replay suggests Bretos was not trying to be funny but made a poor choice of colloquialism. He tweeted his apologies Saturday, saying he meant no racial reference but would be extra-careful in the future.

"My wife is Asian, would never intentionally say anything to disrespect her and that community," Bretos wrote. "Despite intention, phrase was inappropriate in this context."

So lets see Lin didn't think it was an intentional slur, the guy understands that he screwed up with a poor choice of words and understands the consequences but you still think he did that intentionally? I'll take living in my naive world rather than living in the everyone is out to attack everyone else world you live in.

• Upvote 1

I don't know that I buy the headline guy not realizing what he did, particularly since every single Lin headline has contained a pun since this stuff started. At the very least, he should have known that people would freak out about it. The anchor I can understand.

I think the real lesson here is that you're better off not using stupid cliched phrases whether they contain a racial slur or not. That's what I hope will be learned, anyway.