Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Kevin Love gets 4 year deal

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7502324/kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-reach-four-year-deal-opt-out

The Minnesota Timberwolves and star forward Kevin Love have agreed to a four-year contract extension worth between $60 million and $62 million, beating Wednesday's midnight ET deadline.

Love had originally sought a five-year deal but backed off that request and instead insisted that the final year of a four-year deal would be at his option.

Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that the All-Star forward was determined to have the ability to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent after three seasons if he didn't like the direction of the team.

That means Love will have the right to become an unrestricted free agent in summer 2015 if the Timberwolves, who haven't made the playoffs since 2003-04 and are last in the Northwest Division, don't become a consistent winner.

So... I'm not that smart of a guy... but am I right in thinking that the Twolves just made another dumb move? Kevin Love is right now putting up MVP type numbers. He is young, smart, tough, and unlike many young stars, his game does not rely on athleticism that can be lost due to injury or age. The last player that was seen with that kind of billing was a young Tim Duncan.

Annnnd the Twolves had the chance to lock him up for 5 straight years? That's actually exactly what he wants? Instead they say no? No? Really? And the counter offer they go with is a 4 year with a player option to cancel the last one if he's not liking whats going on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmx5lzacZ-M&feature=related

The dumbest organization in the history of sports just did it again.

It's a tough situation. I don't think Love is a championship franchise player. He's putting up great numbers on a mediocre team. That said, Minnesota does have to overpay marginal players to sign with them because nobody wants to play in Minnesota.

Of course, the possibility does exist that Love didn't want to sign a 5 year deal in Minnesota.

I think you meant no disrespect towards Duncan.

I'm pretty sure that's not what I meant.