Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

Studying in the USA

Hello guys,

I've been pondering about studying in the USA for a while. I'm finishing High School this year and I'd like to go to Graphic Design.

I have no close relatives living there so I'd have to live by myself. That's not the problem... I just don't know exactly how things work, for how long you can stay in school; what happens during holidays, etc.

I'm doing some research and I already know about the SAT tests but I'd still like your advice on basically everything: from the best college, to the nice places to live in... extracurricular activities (...) In other words, just treat me like a noob - I won't mind.

Every piece of advice will be much appreciated and helpful,

Mauro

That's sort of like asking "do birds migrate?" You need to be a lot more specific in your questions if you want to get really useful answers.

Your best bet, if this is a route you're seriously interested in exploring, would be to pick out schools you like and start applying. There are websites all over the place that can give you useful information about what schools are good for Graphic Design. Once you narrow down a list of schools you like, you can start going through their websites. Most college websites will include a schedule somewhere that lists when students are allowed in on campus housing and when they have to leave. You could also email the schools' offices and ask them. I'd imagine it's a common issue with international students, so I'm guessing most of them will have pretty standardized rules for that sort of process.

As for the differences you'll encounter living in the US, I don't know how to answer that because I don't know where you're from, but the big things are 1) we fry all our foods, 2) we drive on the right side of the road, and 3) the average American adult reads at an 8th grade level, and it's obvious.

Hope that helps.

That's sort of like asking "do birds migrate?" You need to be a lot more specific in your questions if you want to get really useful answers.

Your best bet, if this is a route you're seriously interested in exploring, would be to pick out schools you like and start applying. There are websites all over the place that can give you useful information about what schools are good for Graphic Design. Once you narrow down a list of schools you like, you can start going through their websites. Most college websites will include a schedule somewhere that lists when students are allowed in on campus housing and when they have to leave. You could also email the schools' offices and ask them. I'd imagine it's a common issue with international students, so I'm guessing most of them will have pretty standardized rules for that sort of process.

As for the differences you'll encounter living in the US, I don't know how to answer that because I don't know where you're from, but the big things are 1) we fry all our foods, 2) we drive on the right side of the road, and 3) the average American adult reads at an 8th grade level, and it's obvious.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I posted the exact same thread on the UFC Forum and they've provided me with some websites with the top schools and what not. But thanks for the part in bold, I will do that.

And I've spent 2 weeks in the US in 2010, I got along pretty well with the people but that's the easy part.

Did you ever lock in on an idea here, VC?

Also: I didn't think of it at the time, but you should strongly consider the region you'll be looking at studying in too. I've never been to Portugal, so I'm not sure of the climate, but moving to an area where the climate is too different from what you're used to could be pretty jarring and dampen your experience.

Did you ever lock in on an idea here, VC?

Also: I didn't think of it at the time, but you should strongly consider the region you'll be looking at studying in too. I've never been to Portugal, so I'm not sure of the climate, but moving to an area where the climate is too different from what you're used to could be pretty jarring and dampen your experience.

Yes, I decided to stay here in Portugal for a couple of years and get some working routines and what not.

Portugal's pretty warm but I wouldn't mind a change.

And I'm really thankful for the concern but it's time to let this thread fade into obscurity.

;)