skinnyhoops

Magic CEO Bob Vander Weide to Retire - Dwight Howard Phone Call

So when Shaq was here he blamed the Sentinel poll...now we can blame our drunken CEO. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Lakers disassemble their club trying to get dwight and the Magic make it look likely we will move him there only to at the very very last minute pull the rug out from under them and trade him elsewhere sending the Lakers into disarray. Heck it could even be Boston...just not to the Lakers.

So let me get this straight. He got drunk and called Dwight at 1 am to basically beg him to stay in Orlando....and now he is retiring? That conversation obviously didn't go well....

This SUCKS. Being a Magic fan is tough ain't it?

Sentinel story reports it was planned for a while.

BVW step down

however this part leads me to believe there is a lot more to this....

Dan DeVos, who is Rich DeVos' son, will take on the responsibilities as the team's chairman. Dan DeVos will serve as the DeVos family's primary conduit with front-office officials on team matters.

Your CEO not only steps down but also gets replaced as the main contact to ownership among pretty solid rumors of a drunk dial??

So let me get this straight. He got drunk and called Dwight at 1 am to basically beg him to stay in Orlando....and now he is retiring? That conversation obviously didn't go well....

First Chase, now this

Vander Weide was on Magic drive time this afternoon and described the phone call. Apparently, it was on the down side of a social gathering and Dwight had been sending him texts, but he didn't say what the texts were about. Rather than waiting until the morning when "business should be conducted", he called him that night while he was still buzzing. Supposedly, it has no impact on his relationship with Dwight.

I'm not sure I believe the story, but take it for what its worth.

It sure is.

Yeah Bob called him a little before 1 a.m. friday night (against the rules? im not sure) tipsy as hell...dwight was very pissed about it and disappointed, BUT it doesnt decrease his chances of staying...he plans on staying as long as the Magic give him star help

Yeah Bob called him a little before 1 a.m. friday night (against the rules? im not sure) tipsy as hell...dwight was very pissed about it and disappointed, BUT it doesnt decrease his chances of staying...he plans on staying as long as the Magic give him star help

Im glad so many people have tapped Dwights phone to know when he is angry or happy....

Let me guess, you work for Rupert Murdoch.

The thing is, no one knows the actual details of what events transpired and wont know....ever. BVW stepping down was planned and started 18months ago, along with the changes in the Magic ownership, where Dan Devos is now taking lead while Rich plays more a mentor role with Dan.

These moves were planned since last year.... Im sure ESPN will tell you otherwise, but what do they know.... they think we are still going to hand over D12 to LA for scraps....lol

Im glad so many people have tapped Dwights phone to know when he is angry or happy....

Let me guess, you work for Rupert Murdoch.

The thing is, no one knows the actual details of what events transpired and wont know....ever. BVW stepping down was planned and started 18months ago, along with the changes in the Magic ownership, where Dan Devos is now taking lead while Rich plays more a mentor role with Dan.

These moves were planned since last year.... Im sure ESPN will tell you otherwise, but what do they know.... they think we are still going to hand over D12 to LA for scraps....lol

Um, not sure if trolling, or just stupid. Bynum is clearly > Howard, and we should be HAPPY that LA offered us the GOAT Bynum instead of some loser like Kobe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1