Sign in to follow this  
moldy_hedo

'$hard and the Amnesty Clause

Would LOVE to see $hard back here out from under the weight of his mega contract. How can Washington NOT cut him?

Soooo, what happens after a player is Amnestied? Are they unrestricted free agents? I see anyone with cap that can pay him first.... then HOU, ORL as discount options.

Any talk on other team's amnesty options?

Would LOVE to see $hard back here out from under the weight of his mega contract. How can Washington NOT cut him?

Soooo, what happens after a player is Amnestied? Are they unrestricted free agents? I see anyone with cap that can pay him first.... then HOU, ORL as discount options.

Any talk on other team's amnesty options?

I think Washington has already stated they won't amnesty Shard.

The amnestied players are "auctioned" for teams under the cap to make an offer to the teams amnestying them. The highest bidder gets the player.

Say player A and his $15M contract is amnestied from team 1. Team 2 then offers $4M and team 3 offer $5M. Team 3 gets player A for said amount, yet team 1 has to pay the rest of his contract. I think it won't go against the cap though, team 1 is getting rid of said player, yet still has to pay him.

I haven't gone into fine details of the amnesty clause, maybe others can correct me or add to it.

How can Washington NOT cut him?

They gotta pay him either way...and since they're under the cap and have no real desire to make a big splash in this year's free agency, it looks like they're planning to hold onto him. I can see them trying to use him as a massive expiring to land John Wall a teammate in a couple years.

It made no sense for the Wizards to amnesty Lewis. There salary with him is pretty low, cutting him would force them to spend a lot of FA money to get to the legal cap floor while paying him big bucks to play for someone else.

If they Amnesty Lewis, I think they will be well under the salary floor and be forced to spend more money on their roster just to meet the minimum. They wont amnesty him just to get rid of his contract, but if they need the room for free agency, they will bite the bullet.

If they Amnesty Lewis, I think they will be well under the salary floor and be forced to spend more money on their roster just to meet the minimum. They wont amnesty him just to get rid of his contract, but if they need the room for free agency, they will bite the bullet.

And since it's a weak free agency class, they wont amnesty him... Besides his contract turns from toxic to "healthy" in just about year, close to the trade deadline if a team wants to shed salary. It would be a dumb move to amnesty him.

The only reason I clicked on this thread was because I thought the opening post author was Moldy Hobo.

It made no sense for the Wizards to amnesty Lewis. There salary with him is pretty low, cutting him would force them to spend a lot of FA money to get to the legal cap floor while paying him big bucks to play for someone else.

I believe the new CBA states that they can amnesty Lewis and still choose to have his contract count against their overall cap if they choose to... but I don't think he's going anywhere

I believe the new CBA states that they can amnesty Lewis and still choose to have his contract count against their overall cap if they choose to... but I don't think he's going anywhere

There is no point in doing that though. They would still have his salary on the cap and still be paying him. May as well get production and leadership out of it.

There is no point in doing that though. They would still have his salary on the cap and still be paying him. May as well get production and leadership out of it.

Oh, I agree completely.. Just sharing what I heard

I other words, just waive him?