AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

Yeah, get us a point guard! Than ask the other teams to play such poor defense on Dwight, leave him alone 10-15 feet from the basket, give him room to operate, and stop double teaming him.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, get us a point guard! Than ask the other teams to play such poor defense on Dwight, leave him alone 10-15 feet from the basket, give him room to operate, and stop double teaming him.

This one gets it. Blake was doubled 1 time in that clip

This one gets it. Blake was doubled 1 time in that clip

Its a highlight clip. And its preseason.

Billups and CP3 on the same team is nasty for a low post player. It must be frustrating to see other teams get so much better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Billups and CP3 on the same team is nasty for a low post player. It must be frustrating to see other teams get so much better.

Speaking of feeding the post and what not, it was super frustrating in the last game to see Dwight open/calling for the ball on probably more than a dozen occasions, only to never get the ball because our team seriously sucks at passing. Honestly, Larry Hughes was our best passer. I just had to laugh when JJ tried to alley oop JRichardson, I think it was, and the ball just went out of bounds or whatever.

Hopefully our passing will improve some once the season starts, and hopefully Duhon rides the bench because he's the worst

I just feel like being somewhat optimistic for a minute. New Jersey is a cesspool. They have enough money to sign Howard next offseason, yes, but he would be playing with D-Will (maybe) and who? I can't see him on the floor with Brook Lopez, and I don't know who will give up much for him with his ankle (not this soon after Yao). And why would Howard have any more faith in that front office than Otis. I'm not an Otis fan, but I think he knows now that the writing is on the wall. Either he listens to Howard or he's done. So if Dwight goes to NJ, they won't be any better than Orlando is now for at least a couple of years. And I think that can be said of anywhere. The Lakers might be good quickly, or at least I can see Dwight buying that, but they will need to rebuild around Dwight in a couple of years when Kobe is no longer Kobe. So why can't Orlando get things straight just as quickly? In a couple of years, Hedo's contract, as well as JJ's (I like JJ, I do, but 7 mil a year...come on) and Duhon's, and Meer's are all gone. Leaving Orlando with long terms to Baby Baby and JRich. At that point, who can't they sign. Extra money and playing with Dwight should entice some pretty nice free agents. My point is that perhaps the management can convince Dwight that as he's coming into his prime (27-29), he'll be getting a great team around him.

Maybe I'm off on this. I know it's crazy to think that a player would listen to that type of reasoning, but maybe at some point Dwight will see that no one else can really give him much more than Orlando can. There is no other Dream Team coming together any time soon. And if it is, it will be in Boston. (just a hunch). So as far as I can tell, the problem really is with Otis. Can he convince Dwight that he's not going to make the same mistakes yet again. I a tually like the people he's brought in this offseason, as I believe that Big Baby is infinitely better than Bass, and Hughes in small doses is great. But he still has a history of getting old washed up stars and trying to pass that off as a big move. I like JRich, as long as he is a third option, but they need a valid second option. And I don't know if Dwight believes that Otis will bring one in.

And here I will make my very optimistic thought. Jameer Nelson will be back to all-star form this year. Think about this for a moment. Jameer has been fantastic when he has not been challenged by his backup(when the job has been solidly his). His best season, the first half of 09, they didn't have a stellar backup for SVG to hold over him. Before that it always seemed he was fighting for minutes with either Dooling or Arroyo. Then Orlando put some faith in him and let both of those guys go and just used A Johnson, and Jameer was having an all-star season. Then the next year I really think he had trouble getting back to form and adjusting to Vince, but by playoff time he was stellar again. then last year he started off really well. He was going for 16 and nearly 7 when the trades went down. But the trades brought in Agent Loser, and his minutes and performance suffered as a result. Now he's supposedly lighter and in good health, so I am (admittedly optimistically) thinking that 'Meer is back. Hopefully.

If last year taught me anything, I think I saw that a star surrounded by good players can be more effective than two or three stars surrounded by fodder. The question remains, is this team that team. My gut says still no, but who really knows, anymore. Dallas was supposed to be old and dead in the water before last year, so I don't take anything for granted anymore. I will say that in my opinion, Otis should do whatever it takes to get one of the two guys Dwight has asked for. Iggy orJosh Smith make this team very good, I think, it is just a matter of getting the deal done. I have seen teams work bigger miracles. That said, I haven't seen that kind of genius out of Otis.

So I guess my overall thinking is that I am not ready to give up on this team, but I don't feel great about them either. Also, I feel that either Iggy or Josh Smith keeps Dwight in Orlando.

Wow that was longer than I meant it to be.

• Upvote 4

Howards request for NJ puzzles me too. Assuming we trade him for Lopez (not sure I want that now) and maybe their pick yast year and future picks drain them. They would maybe make the playoffs, but thats it. Lopez comes her (stays healthy) and if Marshon developes to a good player as expected and I few nices drafts (esp if NJ is still a lottery team), we could rebuild pretty

If Howard stays... I think Davis was a great trade and I like the draft picks as well. We are still deep and if Nelson even comes close to the all star year and Turk plays ok (big if), I think we could be pretty good this year and beyond.

And yet you used it to illustrate a point that it doesn't really support. At all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2