AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

We should sign Reggie Evans. Guy is a great hustle, defensive player and rebounder that can help Dwight out a bit. That way Dwight doesn't need to play 45 minutes a night like he did last year.

We should sign Reggie Evans. Guy is a great hustle, defensive player and rebounder that can help Dwight out a bit. That way Dwight doesn't need to play 45 minutes a night like he did last year.

Reggie Evans couldn't defend the rim from a boy scout troop if he had a column of tanks at his command.

Here is a little bit on our salary for this season.

ORLANDO MAGIC - $77,023,289 for 10 players

They are committed to $77,023,289 for 10 guaranteed contracts (Arenas, Howard, Turkoglu, Nelson, Redick, Bass, Duhon, Q. Richardson, Anderson and Orton).

The Magic are way over the cap. Even if they could get Arenas’ $19 million off of the books through an amnesty program, they’d be right at the assumed cap level with their committed salaries. And that’s before accounting for the possibility of them bringing back unrestricted free agent Jason Richardson. As such, Orlando will have to use exceptions (MLE, minimum contracts, etc.) to fill out the remainder of their roster.

The Lakers are the only team with more committed salary than us. I'm guessing Arenas will be amnestied at some point (maybe not right away, I wouldn't put it past Otis to give him a chance and start the season here), so a huge chunk of it could come off soon. Looking at it, if we can find a way to ship off Jameer and some other contracts like Redick, Bass, Duhon, etc for expiring contracts we may have a chane of having some cap space next year.

It will be interesting to see where we go from here. I'm not expecting us to be active FA players, we don't need long term contracts right now. I expect we re-sign Clark, sign another player for the vet min or bi-annual exception or something and then we'll make some sort of trade. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on it being centered around Jameer and Bass for expirings. We likely won't have a very good team this year, but with some smart trades and Arenas being amnestied we may have an outside chance of getting cap space next year to try and get a CP3 or D-Will with Dwight. Chances aren't very high, but they are probably higher that way than trying makes trades to win now and clogging up more cap space with irresponsible MLE spending.