Sign in to follow this  
JRam027

Joe Paterno fired.

There may have been a law at the time stating that people with jobs like Paterno are to report any suspected abuse to their superior. That superior then has the responsibility of reporting it to the police

Why are you trying so hard to defend him? I get that you're a Penn State fan and all, but still. Would you fight this hard to defend the coach of another school in the same situation?

There may have been a law at the time stating that people with jobs like Paterno are to report any suspected abuse to their superior. That superior then has the responsibility of reporting it to the police

Such a law, as you've described, would dictate internal corporate policy, which is unconstitutional.

Either the law states that they had to report it to the police, or it doesn't. You're bending over backwards to defend Paterno on this point, and I really don't understand why.

Why are you trying so hard to defend him? I get that you're a Penn State fan and all, but still. Would you fight this hard to defend the coach of another school in the same situation?

It's different when you know more than what's being put out in general. I said that Paterno screwed up numerous times, should've banned Sandusky right then and there, and that his firing had to be done. The criticism that makes him out be a monster is what bothers me.

I did read an article earlier stating:

Even though Paterno himself had told the grand jury that McQueary saw “something of a sexual nature,” Paterno said this week that he had stopped the conversation before it got too graphic. Instead, he told McQueary he would need to speak with his superior, Athletic Director Tim Curley, and with Schultz

I believe that this is where Paterno dropped the ball. As graphic as the story may have been, he needed to hear McQueary out. At that point, I think Paterno cut him off because of how graphic the story was, not because who was involved.

The other part said:

McQueary testified he told the men in specific detail exactly what he’d seen, and what he testified to before the grand jury.

Curley and Schultz say nothing criminal was described. Instead, Curley says, it was characterized as “inappropriate conduct” or “horsing around.

Schultz said it seemed like “not that serious.”

This is one reason why I think it is much more internally involved than Paterno

Such a law, as you've described, would dictate internal corporate policy, which is unconstitutional.

Either the law states that they had to report it to the police, or it doesn't. You're bending over backwards to defend Paterno on this point, and I really don't understand why.

I said that the law would prevent Paterno himself from reporting it directly to police. He would have to take it to his superiors, which he did. It would then be their responsibility to contact the police.

There was actually an expert on CNN 2 nights ago that confirmed that such a rule existed for certain careers in certain states. Not sure of a name, but there was.

By Paterno reporting it to police, he is merely giving a secondhand account of what happened. IF such a law was in effect, he would've violated his "chain of command" if you will and would put himself in an actionable position, both civilly and criminally. Once Paterno handed off what he knew to Curley/Schultz, it was their obligation to alert the police AND Spanier

So, what moral obligation do you think he has in this situation?

I bet Penn State gets saddled with the mother of all law suits, especially by the victims that were abused after this incident was reported.

I said that the law would prevent Paterno himself from reporting it directly to police. He would have to take it to his superiors, which he did. It would then be their responsibility to contact the police.

There was actually an expert on CNN 2 nights ago that confirmed that such a rule existed for certain careers in certain states. Not sure of a name, but there was.

By Paterno reporting it to police, he is merely giving a secondhand account of what happened. IF such a law was in effect, he would've violated his "chain of command" if you will and would put himself in an actionable position, both civilly and criminally. Once Paterno handed off what he knew to Curley/Schultz, it was their obligation to alert the police AND Spanier

As a side issue, do you honestly think that there would be a law governing who can and who can not report criminal acts to the police?

A rule, governing corporate policy and dictated by that corporate entity (or in this case the school), might dictate that he has to report it up the chain of command, but in no way shape or form would it ever possibly make sense for their to exist a law that prohibits someone from reporting criminal activity to the police. That makes absolutely zero sense.

As a side issue, do you honestly think that there would be a law governing who can and who can not report criminal acts to the police?

A rule, governing corporate policy and dictated by that corporate entity (or in this case the school), might dictate that he has to report it up the chain of command, but in no way shape or form would it ever possibly make sense for their to exist a law that prohibits someone from reporting criminal activity to the police. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Yeah, I call bull**** on that as well. Particularly since the act in question is a man raping a 10 year old. Come on.

Yeah, I call bull**** on that as well. Particularly since the act in question is a man raping a 10 year old. Come on.

Officer: "I'm sorry Mr. Paterno, but it's against the law for you to be reporting this rape to me, so I'm going to have to place you under arrest. By the way, the alleged rapist will probably sue you now for filing this report as well."

In what *****ed up world does that sound plausible?

Officer: "I'm sorry Mr. Paterno, but it's against the law for you to be reporting this rape to me, so I'm going to have to place you under arrest. By the way, the alleged rapist will probably sue you now for filing this report as well."

In what *****ed up world does that sound plausible?

The incredibly *****ed up world of email forwards. Outside of that, nowhere.

I have great difficulty understanding your comparison because it is beyond irrelevent. Killing someone is illegal. Please tell me where Paterno did anything illegal and to an extent that even comes close to murder, let alone matches it. There's no way to justify

It's not irrelevant, and you did a good job showing me you don't understand it because you continue to compare the not reporting rape to killing when you should be comparing the amount of media attention they would give LeBron vs. his random friend.

And that's also highly subjective. Knowing and allowing children to get raped can be viewed as almost as bad as murder to many. I wonder how many of those kids are dead inside.

I'm really not sure why people are so mad someone as popular as JoePa is getting all this heat. He should be getting more. Sure, what he did wasn't as as bad as actually raping the kids but that guy is getting a much worse punishment and no one is trying to say it WAS worse, people are just talking more about Joe because he was the face of that school. It's not hard to understand.

Oh, and yes, he is a monster. He along with the rest of the people involved. They're all terrible human beings and people trying to sympathize him with & others make me feel sick. The man chose his football program over saving the lives of little kids. Even if legally he didn't do anything wrong, he's still an excuse for a man and has no morals.

Whatever about Joe Pa, what's done is done. The most *****ed up thing is Sandusky and McQueary getting free passes. Sandusky is from the media a d McQueary is from both the media and the school.

Now, I said by the media, so before anyone says "But Sandusky is going to jail" keep that comment to yourself before I e-slap you for being dumb. The media is completely ignoring the guy that did the raping, that's *****ed up. Read Jemele Hill's column (I get that we all know she's dumb and is only at ESPN because of affirmative action, but still). She says in there that Sandusky is a monster but Paterno is Dr. Frankenstein. Yeah, because that makes sense.

Last thing, to everyone getting mad about Paterno not doing enough (when all he had initially was hearsay, but we'll all just ignore that), be mad at Mike McQueary who SAW it happen and did nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1