Sign in to follow this  
JRam027

Joe Paterno fired.

I think Joe Paterno should have resigned yesterday, before the board of trustees ever decided.. He had to have known that getting fired was going to happen, or at least was a real distinct possiblity, or he really just felt like he was bigger than the University.. And in response to Penn State getting a death sentence, it won't happen.. This isn't an NCAA infraction, this is SO much bigger of an issue than that.. But Penn State football is screwed anyways.. Tell me any parents in the world right now that want their children to be a Nittany Lion..

Paterno has quite the ego and him trying his hand against administration exhibited that.

***** Joe and everybody who tries to excuse his behavior/lack of human decency. Who cares that others might not be getting as much heat as Joe? He deserves a lot more than what he's getting right now, and the only reason the media's on him is because. . . well, because it's him. If LeBron James and a friend of his kill a guy, do you think the media's going to spend most (if any) of their time talking about LeBron's friend?

• Upvote 1

***** Joe and everybody who tries to excuse his behavior/lack of human decency. Who cares that others might not be getting as much heat as Joe? He deserves a lot more than what he's getting right now, and the only reason the media's on him is because. . . well, because it's him. If LeBron James and a friend of his kill a guy, do you think the media's going to spend most (if any) of their time talking about LeBron's friend?

This is the exact BS that I'm talking about. Paterno's not the one who raped the kids, so your comparison holds no weight or validity. If you're going to criticize the guy, at least get your **** straight

This is the exact BS that I'm talking about. Paterno's not the one who raped the kids, so your comparison holds no weight or validity. If you're going to criticize the guy, at least get your **** straight

he didn't rape the kids, but he was careless and may have been criminally negligent.

In any event, the gravity and politics of the story is enough to bring him down. He deserves a lot more but he gets a pass because he's "JoePa." WHY do people inside Penn State not understand this when the rest of America does.

The comparison was in terms of media attention, not crime committed. Was that really hard to understand?

Either way, he's a piece of **** human being and I hope he continues to get blasted. Also hope all these people protesting flipping cars because of him get prostate cancer.

he didn't rape the kids, but he was careless and may have been criminally negligent.

In any event, the gravity and politics of the story is enough to bring him down. He deserves a lot more but he gets a pass because he's "JoePa." WHY do people inside Penn State not understand this when the rest of America does.

Page 7

Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the Ggraduate assistant's report at his home on a saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate supervisor, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of sexual nature to a young boy.

Approximately one and a half weeks later, the graduate assistant was called to a meeting with Penn State Athletic Director Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz ("Schultz"). The graduate assistant reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch Building showers. Curley and Schultz assured the graduate assistant that they would look into it and determine what other action they would take. Paterno was not present for this meeting.

SIDENOTES:

* Gary Schultz oversaw the University Police and he was present in the meeting between the graduate assistant (now known to be Mike McQueary)

* Laws at that time were different for careers that may involve children or minors in different states. Paterno may have been legally restricted from notifying police. Regardless, he still notified his immediate superior in Athletic Director Tim Curley what the graduate assistant told him, which was "something of sexual nature".

* Word starting to come out now is that Paterno may have tried firing Sandusky immediately after this incident. Word is that he filed termination papers and forwarded them to Athletic Director Tim Curley, who sent the paper work up the ladder, if you will, and said that he passed the paperwork on, it's out of his hands. Paterno never saw the paperwork again

All in all, Paterno just hired a major defense attorney so things will get even uglier and more information will be uncovered. Before I pass anymore judgement, I am waiting until I hear from both sides. There are too many holes in the stories given and a lot of speculation going on regarding the strained relationship between Sandusky and Paterno. Like I said awhile back, Paterno and Sandusky did NOT get along towards the end of Sandusky's tenure and this was known long before these allegations arose. To me, that raises question marks. All I know is that there was a cover up involving University president Graham Spanier and more than likely Gary Schultz and Tim Curley. To what extent is the question....

And the new allegations coming from a reprter in Pittsburgh are false. Guy has been making false anti-PSU stories for quite some time.

By saying he "may have been criminally negligent" proves that no one knows without a reasonable doubt whether he did anything wrong or not. I hold my judgement until both the trial begins annd more information from both sides is released. We can all agree that more should've been done to satisfy the moral obligation, but my question is whether fulfilling that obligation would violate a legal obligation. Laws at that time were different

The comparison was in terms of media attention, not crime committed. Was that really hard to understand?

Either way, he's a piece of **** human being and I hope he continues to get blasted. Also hope all these people protesting flipping cars because of him get prostate cancer.

I have great difficulty understanding your comparison because it is beyond irrelevent. Killing someone is illegal. Please tell me where Paterno did anything illegal and to an extent that even comes close to murder, let alone matches it. There's no way to justify

He knew what happened. He knew that literally nothing came of it by way of protecting those kids. He most likely was either involved with, or had a pretty good idea of it being covered up. He said nothing. He did nothing more than report it up the chain.

This wasn't turning a blind eye to some kids smoking pot, or maybe some NCAA rule violations, this was a man molesting and raping children. Everyone in that chain of people that knew what happened failed miserably at something so basic within human nature. They put the needs of the program and the school ahead of protecting innocent kids from just about the most *****ing in-human and horrible thing you can do to kids from happening. They basically, through inaction and attempted cover-ups aided Sandusky in his actions.

Now, maybe JoePa wasn't directly responsible for the cover ups, maybe he didn't want to go along with them, but he did. He knew what happened to that kid, and he failed in his moral obligation to protect that child and others after him. He was the face of the football program, the face of that school, and if he had pushed the matter, if he had followed through to make sure events weren't swept under the rug, the victims who came after that incident would have been saved. He is the one person that, because of his popularity on and off campus, could have taken a stand and made sure the right thing was done.

• Upvote 1

I have great difficulty understanding your comparison because it is beyond irrelevent. Killing someone is illegal. Please tell me where Paterno did anything illegal and to an extent that even comes close to murder, let alone matches it. There's no way to justify

I don't know the specific law in Pennsylvania, but I know that if I'd done what Paterno and Mcqueary have admitted to doing respectively where I live in Maryland, I'd be in jail, and Maryland is far from the only state with that kind of legal situation.

Many states simply don't take any **** when it comes to sex crimes against children.

I don't know the specific law in Pennsylvania, but I know that if I'd done what Paterno and Mcqueary have admitted to doing respectively where I live in Maryland, I'd be in jail, and Maryland is far from the only state with that kind of legal situation.

Many states simply don't take any **** when it comes to sex crimes against children.

There may have been a law at the time stating that people with jobs like Paterno are to report any suspected abuse to their superior. That superior then has the responsibility of reporting it to the police. Can't verify because I did not live in Pennsylvania at the time, nor was I at an age to care about laws as such.

He knew what happened. He knew that literally nothing came of it by way of protecting those kids. He most likely was either involved with, or had a pretty good idea of it being covered up. He said nothing. He did nothing more than report it up the chain.

This wasn't turning a blind eye to some kids smoking pot, or maybe some NCAA rule violations, this was a man molesting and raping children. Everyone in that chain of people that knew what happened failed miserably at something so basic within human nature. They put the needs of the program and the school ahead of protecting innocent kids from just about the most *****ing in-human and horrible thing you can do to kids from happening. They basically, through inaction and attempted cover-ups aided Sandusky in his actions.

Now, maybe JoePa wasn't directly responsible for the cover ups, maybe he didn't want to go along with them, but he did. He knew what happened to that kid, and he failed in his moral obligation to protect that child and others after him. He was the face of the football program, the face of that school, and if he had pushed the matter, if he had followed through to make sure events weren't swept under the rug, the victims who came after that incident would have been saved. He is the one person that, because of his popularity on and off campus, could have taken a stand and made sure the right thing was done.

I have no doubt that there was a cover up, believe me. I just think that the situation is much more internally involved with administration than what is being put out. We will know in a matter of time